Sign in to follow this  
Bourney

Decware el84 SET

Anyone any experience? Think I've bought one 😮 Soon see how ANs sound with a couple of watts up em 😬

Rob (Hoopsontoast) built one/has one I believe, he's your man.

I have one that iv'e owned for about ten years, I drive a pair of Avantgarde uno's that help the amp because they have active subs, While the amp sounds very good I don't have the knpwledge of other valve amps to compare it to. it's good both on it's own or with a pre but I tend to use it with an audio note M2 pre.

It sounds at it's.best with a pair of sv-83 tubes and the russian one's  are by far the best. If you can compare it with the Leben please let me know as I know the Leben is well rated.

Super Wammer

My ears were burning! Was this the CKC off AoS by any chance? :D

I've have one, well on my second actually.

The First was a SE84CW, I only used it with some small speakers but really liked the way it sounded, especially at lower volumes.

6966989580_9f6c82a49e_c.jpg

Decware Zen SE84CW by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

The Second is my DIY version, based on the Zen-kit-1 design but with some uprated components (Output Transformers etc) and a larger case to accomodate. This was made with a HUGE amount of help from Graeme (Ampregen) and to be honest, he did most of it while I was the budding apprentice! :D

I used it with some more suitable speakers, such as the Klipsch Heresey (not my favourite to be honest) and eventually the Goodmans Axiom 201s which were a pretty good match I think. (shown at the bottom at Scalford).

The Zen is never going to give you slamming bass at high levels, its really designed for what I would call 'Normal' listening, it majors on soundstage, mid & treble resolution and does reasonably well in the bass. I have tried it with some less suitable speakers, the Keesonic Kolt it did really well but they don't do SPL anyway, the Rega R9, not so much, bit muddy in the bass. The Rega Alya, really well, the Tannoy Stirling HE, not so much.

I use my Zen with Russian 6P15P-EV tubes on the output (can't get the SV83 anymore), there is lots of choice on input tubes (6922/E8CC etc) as well as Rectifiers as well. It will also take EL84s as well (not EL83 though).

Although I don't currently use mine, I have plans for it in the new house, possibly with a system change, going back to a high efficiency, full-range speaker based system (possibly with a big AlNiCo magnet!).

9103336080_fe7605fae1_c.jpg

Decware Zen by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

9101089965_61bfe53988_c.jpg

Decware Zen SE84 DIY Build by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

12908887005_90f47c347f_c.jpg

Scalford Hall Hifi Show '14 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Edited by HoopsOnToast

Thanks Rob 👍 Got the little fella fired up... 12 o clock is giving normal volume for me, not sure how much there is in reserve as kids are in bed so no Yello at decent levels yet 😬

Its looks fantastic! Love it

Playing a bit of Kraftwerk, Tour de France -  volume upto 1o clock and it's not straining and playing superbly. Bass slightly softer than the Leben in terms of impact but there's lots of texture to it...and the imaging 😮😮😮

• Like 1

I loved mine when I had the Solovox speakers and regret selling it but you know what this hobby is like.

4 minutes ago, Bourney said:

I think this is your old one Paul. 

Which I think was BrumJams before that. 

Dropped the Leben back in this morning for an hour. A bit more grip but less presence and vibrancy. This decware is a little corker 😎

4 hours ago, Bourney said:

Dropped the Leben back in this morning for an hour. A bit more grip but less presence and vibrancy. This decware is a little corker 😎

It's a great amp that little Decware.  I'm tempted to try one of their more powerful amps - careful speaker matching is needed to get the Zen singing.

I heard a Decware driving Klipsch cornerhorns once. I had driven to Birmingham to buy a single Vitavox Thunderbolt prototype loaded with a Vitavox AK157 15" driver. Interesting chap who was the earliest importer of Klipsch loudspeakers in the country (he told me). The amp easily drove the Klipsch's.

Jack NSM