JANDL100

Anti-Diffraction Baffles - add-on tweaks from Texas!

I was tempted by some postings 'in another place' by a manufacturer of an interesting after-market tweak suitable for most speakers.

High-density wool felt baffles to go around drive units - tweeters & midrange cones especially.

At the current $/£ rate it was an easy thing to talk myself into. :)

Due to my recent speaker changes, I've ended up with a bastardised setup - using the woolly baffles designed for my now-sold-and-gone ProAc Futures on my new fave, John Bowers Active Ones. I really don't make it easy for myself, do I? :roll::P

Anyway - here's a pic of one of my speakers suitable decked out ....

BowersActiveswithWWs.jpg

..... the tweeter is sitting in the baffle designed for a ribbon tweeter, the mids are surrounded by a chopped up baffle designed for a smaller mid-cone.

But, it works, and it works very well indeed.

The baffles are normally a mid/light shade of grey, but these are special black ones for me. Of course, Jim Goulding, who markets these little babies, will make baffles bespoke for your speakers ...... no cutting or chopping-uprequired! :)

I'm really not sure I can live without these baffles now. Remove them and the sound seems diffuse, smeared and badly focussed. Damn, but these things work well!

At something like $55 per pair of baffles (I thinkl) these are firmly recommendedas a fairly cheap but very effective tweak.

HERE is his website.

EDIT: He's currently advertising a 30 day refund guarantee - I'm not sure if this covers postage.

Anyone else tried these?

____

P.S. - I have previously tried a similar seeming tweak from Russ Andrews - but theywere a total disaster for me, my mainresponse being "where's the treble gone?" :shock:.That'snot the case with these things - the tonal response seems unaffected.

Hmm, you seem to have found an effective way to make your plug ugly black cuboids lose what little aesthetic appeal they may once have had!!

Presumably this is going to be highly speaker dependent, d'ya think?

It,s not often you get a product that works and looks as good as this does into the bargain.

BowersActiveswithWWs.jpg

AmDismal wrote:

Hmm, you seem to have found an effective way to make your plug ugly black cuboids lose what little aesthetic appeal they may once have had!!
:lol:true enough - Jim also sent me some standard light grey baffles customised for the Bowers Active tweeters - they worked even better than my makeshift ribbon tweeter baffles - but the light grey was even worse looking on these black speakers and they have received a thumbs-down from me. Nicely made though - the 'mess' around the mid-cone is from me chopping up a baffle designed for another speaker!

Actually, I had to take a fair amount of care and a flash with the photo to make them stand out like they have - in practice, it ain't so bad!

Presumably this is going to be highly speaker dependent, d'ya think?

Probably/possibly - but another guy's tried them on the other forum, and he raves about them even more than me. I think that as they don't seem to impinge on the tonal balance, the effect is less speaker-dependent than might be expected.

HERE is the thread on the other forum which details the saga ... it goes on a bit!

thrunobulax wrote:

Thats not that far removed from the "focus rings" for tweeters, one of the few good things to come from R.A. imo, they tame my metal dome tweeters nicely.

Hi thru

Yup, I can imagine those RA ovals would do nicely to tame a wayward metal dome tweeter - I tried them with a speaker whose balance I liked - disaster! - Where'd the treble go? :dunno:

These Texas Tweaks don't alter the tonal balance / tame the treble at all - I'd expected them to, but they don't IME. You 'just' get improved focus and imaging. If you've got a speaker you like already, then these Woolly Wonders might well be the ideal tweak. But I don't think they'd 'fix' a speaker you didn't like.

Perceived treble roughness or undue attention to the treble range is often not the fault of the driver itself but of the driver interacting with the flat surface adjacent to it. Every listener should theoretically want sound waveforms to arrive at their listening position without the re-radiation of secondary energy off their baffles insulting the waveforms perfect time and phase. Waveforms are the final form of the information our systems have resolved up to that point. It’s a good idea to look after them. The removal of that interaction and the result is the purpose of this mod. And it works beautifully. Even to the point of smoothing out in room frequency response in the area of the crossover and upwards. It is what inspired this designer to use highest quality wool and in more mass than anything that has preceded it. And to make it available custom fitted to individual speakers for the benefit of others. The links above will tell you more and I’m delighted to answer any questions.

You could make your own with adhesive felt pads that Homebase sell for around £5.

Dham- Fabric stores in the US offer so-called felt products that are more synthetic material than wool. Rayon, for example, itself reflective, and as high as 60%.I don't imagine that fabric stores in the UK are different but don't actually know for a fact. Itried some of this when I began. I couldn't tell any difference from the neoprene tracts that came from the manufacturer that I had removed.

Dhammavijaya wrote:

You could make your own with adhesive felt pads that Homebase sell for around £5.

I doubt it - I think you'd end up with the RA felt ovals which drastically modified the high freq response. The Texas Tweaks don't do that.

JANDL100 wrote:

Dhammavijaya wrote:

I doubt it - I think you'd end up with the RA felt ovals which drastically modified the high freq response. The Texas Tweaks don't do that.

Hmmm. I followed Hurls advice and bought some of the RA things, and now Jerry's mentioned what he found with them, its started me wondering if theyre doing that to my speakers......problem is, once theyre on, they dont wanna move!

Why not just pop down to yer local Post Office and buy a Fuzzy Felt kit :P

fuzzy_cover.gif

:D:D:D