What's the best 'classic' CD player/s to buy today?

Mightyquin

Super Wammer
31 minutes ago, rabski said:

I most defintely have not.

Fortunately, our offspring are long past that sort of stuff. I originally assumed Peppa Pig was a new brand of sausages.

As for the rest, you must be joking. If I read all and every thread from end to end, I'd need clinical help.

You do need clinical help. You're a mod on this crazy merry-go-round 🤣

1 minute ago, Jules_S said:

You'd only need to glance in my workshop to know how true that is 🤣

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jules_S said:

If you are on here and don't need clinical help - then you are in the wrong place (and need to find another pastime). :nuts:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I haven’t even seen a Bow, but I’d be wary about support and service on such a rarity, unless you’re a dab hand yourself!
They are still supported although you would have to send it to him.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/bowtechnologies/posts/

http://www.molit.dk/

I have a zz8 CD player that has been upgraded by him. Also new CD drive and digital inputs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notevenclose said:

Uh, not exactly a model of consistency in the space of three posts. Perhaps, as is often the case,  the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

Alternatively, in comparison to anything mentioned thus far, a Resolution Audio Opus 21 will wipe the floor with all them. Comprehensively. Or possibly incrementally. So hard to tell when they all sound the same. Or not.

Well lets be honest hi-fi is not an exact science is it, its all subjective waffle. The cheap Marantz I owned was in my youth we are talking maybe 25+ years ago.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here or what truth there is to be had. Its just a load of blokes with opinions on hi-fi.

I owned a Resolution Audio Opus 21 as well for around 12 months, its wasn't a bad player but I failed to see what all the fuss was about. And I tried it in a number of set ups and with different speakers. And I used its stand alone DAC feature as well for different sources. DIN cables standard RCA the lot. From there I owned the Naim DAC and had both together at the same time actually. For me the Naim wiped the floor with Opus 21 completely! It wasn't even a contest! To this day that Naim DAC is the best I've owned, subjectively of course. But the Pioneer PD91 I owned years ago was just such a lush sound to get carried away with.

The cheap marantz I owned years ago I stand by it was a great player. Cost £200, the naim DAC was 3 grand last selling for. Its better is it 15x better though. Its better yes but they both still do similar things.

Edited by eddie-baby

Different people, different ears, different tastes.

I tried quite a few players against the Opus and never heard anything I preferred at the time, but that's a while back. As before, it would be interesting to compare against a serious DAC.

We're all different mostly. I never got the fuss about the CD63 personally. I had a MkII KI sig for a while and I thought it was nothing special, but some still rate it very highly.

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at here or what truth there is to be had. Its just a load of blokes with opinions on hi-fi.

This just about says it all :) 

Nice one Eddie.:^

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, Jules_S said:

I've not been so keen on the universal players like the Oppo (and the earlier mentioned Lexicon)

This is where the joys of being retired must have benefits, no need to worry about a few seconds of your life being seemingly wasted. Although I normally find by the time I have closed the CD drawer, walked back to my seat and got comfortable, its ready to play 😅

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, rabski said:

Different people, different ears, different tastes.

I tried quite a few players against the Opus and never heard anything I preferred at the time, but that's a while back. As before, it would be interesting to compare against a serious DAC.

We're all different mostly. I never got the fuss about the CD63 personally. I had a MkII KI sig for a while and I thought it was nothing special, but some still rate it very highly.

Me being never satisfied with anything I had the 63SE and the Ki Sig. I've had more Hi-Fi's than Currys me! :D

I never got the Ki Sig, personally I thought 'subjectively' again, it was a bit flat lifeless and mushy sounding, congested almost, yet the Bible at the time, What Hi-Fi, praised it as being so musical and this and that. I thought the cheaper 63SE sounded a touch better personally :D But that wasn't a good thing to think when it scored better and cost more, or perhaps they had to sell it that way.

Then all my mates used to bring these 5 Star What Hi-Fi amps round a grand and over but I couldn't unseat my old Pioneer A400 at the time. I'd be there scratching my head on how these 'better' amps didn't sound better to me, most of the time the A400 bettered them :) I'm sure half the time they agreed as well, they just had to justify their expense :D

lol, it is though its all just opinions. I have to be honest though for me its some of the more costlier equipment that's really given me the eargasms and jaw drops. The Pioneer PD91 had some vivid memories of music for me, and mind just blown listening to full albums I'd always listened to but like hearing them like never before. And that Naim DAC I had, ok they cost a lot but I've never heard 3D and separation in the music like that from any source. It might be my imagination I don't know but I know my imagination sometimes likes the things that cost more than I want to spend :D But some of the cheap stuff sometimes can be just as equally thrilling in its own way discovering, enjoying and listen to music. It really doesn't have to cost a fortune, be built like Concorde or have the praise of the most discerning Hi-Fi critics or mags.   

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 4

California Labs CL-15, from the mid 90s, blew my CD63KI Sig away totally.

REview: https://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/1198cal/index.html

Edited by Batty

11 hours ago, basa71 said:

Anyone have experience with the Audiolab 6000 CDT? Seems interesting as transport and only £379!

Yes, I've been using this transport for a good few months. It's thoroughly excellent, but I've never compared it directly to any other standalone transports. I don't even know if there's much difference between various transports.

• Like 1

Yes, I've been using this transport for a good few months. It's thoroughly excellent, but I've never compared it directly to any other standalone transports. I don't even know if there's much difference between various transports.

That’s what I was expecting.. and if you can buy a new transport for these prices, who cares about spares, right?
The quality of most classic players lay mostly in their dac’s and their sturdy build I guess..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, basa71 said:

That’s what I was expecting.. and if you can buy a new transport for these prices, who cares about spares, right?
The quality of most classic players lay mostly in their dac’s and their sturdy build I guess..

Spot-on. If you look at "my" DAC thread, you'll see what I think of the Audiolab/DACMagic 100/Whest MBII versus my previous Naim CDSII and a Linn CD12 which I had on loan.

The Audiolab is outstandingly good, and an outrageous bargain.

4 minutes ago, Blzebub said:

Spot-on. If you look at "my" DAC thread, you'll see what I think of the Audiolab/DACMagic 100/Whest MBII versus my previous Naim CDSII and a Linn CD12 which I had on loan.

The Audiolab is outstandingly good, and an outrageous bargain.

Link that thread please save me searching. Always interested to read other peoples opinions :^

Yer 'tis!

• Like 1