SJS Acoustic

hifinutt

My type 26 had sat in Mikes 'den' for a few months before I got it on loan .....at first it didn't sound a lot better than my MingDa pre......then after a weeks running it exploded into life  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I’m attempting to contact Simon Shilton of SJS and cannot find his email address. If anyone knows it, could you please kindly pm me it ASAP? Many thanks. M.

• 4 months later...

Is the lack of pricing information for Simon Shilton's amplifiers intended to convey an air of exclusivity ("If you need to ask, Sir,...")?

I like the look of his Model 3 phono preamplifier but, good grief, I do find his refusal to publish RRPs off-putting (and oh-so pretentious)!  

5 minutes ago, HugoZ said:

Is the lack of pricing information for Simon Shilton's amplifiers intended to convey an air of exclusivity ("If you need to ask, Sir,...")?

I like the look of his Model 3 phono preamplifier but, good grief, I do find his refusal to publish RRPs off-putting (and oh-so pretentious)!  

Ring Definitive they are the dealers for SJS. 

19 minutes ago, Lee M said:

Ring Definitive they are the dealers for SJS. 

Shouldn't have to ring/email them!

Even they - the only UK dealer - post very nice, flowery descriptions of SJS amps on their website without once mentioning prices. 

35 minutes ago, HugoZ said:

Simons amps are quite exclusive imho at the ‘Kondo’ level of amps and within reason and Simons guidance can be further ‘tweaked’ to suit both your pocket and desires etc.  When you are considering buying what as akin to a Rolls Royce yes there is an element of ‘if you need to ask’ but those of us who have asked etc have never been treated with distain by Simon and he is nowhere close to being labelled as ‘pretentious’.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HugoZ said:

Shouldn't have to ring/email them!

Even they - the only UK dealer - post very nice, flowery descriptions of SJS amps on their website without once mentioning prices. 

Just ring up and ask and stop moaning. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MF 1000 said:

Simons amps are quite exclusive imho at the ‘Kondo’ level of amps and within reason and Simons guidance can be further ‘tweaked’ to suit both your pocket and desires etc.  When you are considering buying what as akin to a Rolls Royce yes there is an element of ‘if you need to ask’ but those of us who have asked etc have never been treated with distain by Simon and he is nowhere close to being labelled as ‘pretentious’.

Thanks for the feedback.

I still think it would be more welcoming and helpful to potential customers to at least state that "prices start at..." (we're not talking Kondo price levels, are we?).

Simon doesnt need a marketing strategy ....

every amp, preamp, phono stage he makes is quite quickly sold afaik....and if you pay attention to the second hand market they retain their value extremely well and sell within a day or so of being available .....with an underlying demand like that a ‘marketing strategy’ is quite frankly both irrelevant and a waste of time/money.

Depending on spec of components/valves used etc you would expect to start paying from maybe £4 k upwards for one of Simons preamps I’d say......BUT.....you are buying into a slice of hand built audio nirvana.

10 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Simon doesnt need a marketing strategy ....

Well, if he's at all interested in attracting new customers (and as a one-man operation, perhaps he isn't) I beg to differ, but thanks anyway for giving me an idea of the preamp prices.

57 minutes ago, HugoZ said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I still think it would be more welcoming and helpful to potential customers to at least state that "prices start at..." (we're not talking Kondo price levels, are we?).

Well Audio Note have done this for years. Try and find a recent retail price list for them? Nearest guide prices for some AN products are on Deco Audio web site if you ever need them.

As others have explained Simon SJS does not build completely off the shelf designs, they are/can be highly tailored bespoke to what you want including the internal circuitry.

He is one of the least pretentious manufacturers I have come across, very approachable, hepful and willing to offer his time and advice freely. Think of him as a consultant you can discuss your requirements and expectations with and he will lay out the various options and costs. You may not like the final cost but at least you will know what you can aim for.

He has even advised diyers on various forums on problems and approaches to building some of their projects no charge.

Edited by Glissando
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It’s not ‘rocket science’ to take a guess at the potential cost when you look at the component lists ....hashimoto chokes, duelund cast capacitors Hovlands caps, tantalum resistors should to anyone with knowledge of high end equipment suggest that you need a fair depth of pocket to consider a purchase etc