Sgt Pepper

Budget Setup For Newbie

A cheap set of digital scales from Neoteck on Amazon will be accurate enough, and when you get the player print off a Conrad Hoffmann alignment protractor for whatever turntable and arm you have.

28 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Been looking at some youtube videos, is a stylus pressure gauge necessary?. And what else would i need to set up a turntable.thanks.

A stylus pressure gauge is only necessary if the arm is uncalibrated, but most arms have indications good enough for 'normal' cartridges. You will need a stylus protractor, but that can be downloaded and printed for free. Even if you buy one, they're about a tenner. A small mirror, such as ladies might have in their handbags is useful for checking cartridge azimuth, but checking by eye is normally good enough.

Also useful is a  strobe disk if the turntable doesn't have strobe markings but again these can be downloaded for free and printed.  That's pretty much it.

S

Thanks guys, but this is starting to lose me.:oops:

So for just an example, say i purchased a Project Essential 2, i would need to perform the setup before i use it.

Edited by Sgt Pepper

Yeah, or alternatively find someone close to you who can give you  a couple of hours tuition. Part of the fun is the tweaking!

depending where it comes from, but setting up is a case of following a few simple steps. Most of the stuff you need is available as a free download, and a small stylus balance is about £7.00. A spare evening without a woolly jumper is more than enough time

depending where it comes from, but setting up is a case of following a few simple steps. Most of the stuff you need is available as a free download, and a small stylus balance is about £7.00. A spare evening without a woolly jumper is more than enough time

Fully agree, most turntables or arms come with instructions and most are reasonably easy to set up (even I can do it).

A good online source is www.vinylengine.com as this has manuals and instructions for a significant number of record playing items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Bertiebee said:

Nope, search for Neoteck NTK002 Digital Turntable Stylus on Amazon.co.uk (I can't attach a link from iPad).

They are less than £8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorted mate thanks.

Is there anything else i might need?

Edited by Sgt Pepper

If you're nervous, maybe buy a TT new (rega or project or AT) then buy a used amp and speakers.  A basic 90's rotel/NAD/rega/pioneer/yamaha should be doable for under £100 and most have phono stages, then with a £600 budget you should still have 250 for speakers.  Im sure if you have a bake-off at your place you'll get plenty of volunteers to bring stuff to try - getting speakers that work in your room will make much more difference than spending more on kit.  As an idea, a Rega planar, rotel 930AX amp and JPW sonata speakers sounds bloody good and would have come in under 600 new so you should be able to get something similar second hand with no trouble

Just had an offer of a Cyrus 2 amp & Goldring GR2 deck with 1012X Cartridge.

What do you guys think?

Just had an offer of a Cyrus 2 amp & Goldring GR2 deck with 1012X Cartridge.
What do you guys think?

Is it free or do you have to pay for it?
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bertiebee said:

Is it free or do you have to pay for it?

£150.

Just seen £180 for replacement stylus......ouch!

How often do you have to change them.

(ps this is from a member of PFM).

Edited by Sgt Pepper

£150.
Just seen £180 for replacement stylus......ouch!
How often do you have to change them.
(ps this is from a member of PFM).

Have you read the advert for it on PFM?

If it's the one I've just read (using a search for Goldring in the classifieds) I'd leave it alone.