Sign in to follow this  
robbie010

CDP Repair help!

Super Wammer

Hi All,

When I sold my previous Marantz SACD player it was damaged in transit ūüė©. However, all is¬†well that ends well, I've been reimbursed by the courier and have received the player back today,¬†so I thought¬†I would¬†have a go at fixing it.....

The player is a Marantz DV8300 SACD player, there is no sign of physical damage and the buyer said the packaging was undamaged, he thought it may have gone in to some kind of protection mode????

Anyhow, it powers up, the display works fine, draw opens and closes but the disc does not spin-up, so it does not read the track list etc. 

I have opened it up and can see no signs of damage. If I open the tray and physically pull the laser mech back along it's rails, when I close the draw again the laser mech re-aligns itself. Straight off the bat I would say the issue is the motor that spins the disc but it may be some other part or chip that controls this motor?

Any advice on a repair?

can I replace the little motor or would inneed to source an entirely new transport?

cheers. 

IMO.. best you can do is look for shifted ribbon cables. These have a release lever on them .. look. Remove refit the ribbons and Hope

Beyond patching / resetting mechanical bungles in the Rube Goldberg Disc mechanisms ? 

Replacing a laser unit (should it actually need it) is tricky sans instrumentations.

Given that'its now free .. either Bin it ?

Or take it to a proven capable repair shop?

Super Wammer

Thanks Danilo, like you say, it's a freebie now so I don't mind playing around with it myself and binning it if I can't fix it. 

The mech appears to be direct drive i.e it looks like it has a small motor directly attached to the bit that spins the disc. 

IMG_8277.JPG

I wonder if it doesnt register the drawer being closed properly... in which case it wont try and spin up as it won't think it's ready to do so.  Have a look for (I guess) a little contact switch somewhere - does the display show anything when the draw is open/closed?

Super Wammer
37 minutes ago, pgarrish said:

I wonder if it doesnt register the drawer being closed properly... in which case it wont try and spin up as it won't think it's ready to do so.  Have a look for (I guess) a little contact switch somewhere - does the display show anything when the draw is open/closed?

I think it does register. When the draw closes I can see the laser lenses trying to focus and flashing red as if it's trying to read the disc but the disc does not spin so it can't read anything. 

Does the lens move under the cd to try and read it? I'm asking cos my cdp failed recently as the laser mech failed and the symptoms are similar albeit I didn't try moving it manually as you did

Super Wammer

Yes, if I manually move the lens then open or close the draw, the lens moves back to the start position and bobs up and down while flashing red as if trying to locate and read the spinning disc but the disc just site there without spinning-up. 

They will often try to achieve focus lock before spinning the disk, so it could be that it's not able to focus on the disk for some reason.