I have heard an Accuphase over 10 yrs ago and really liked it.

I owned a Luxman and was underwhelmed.

Where is the sweet spot in the Accuphase range over say the last 5 or so years.  Around £2-4000 secondhand

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those that asked;

Accuphase E-480 all aglow: Accuphase E-480 Lights On by Rob Moores, on Flickr

Did someone call? On the differences between Accuphase amps; this is, as ever, down to the 'soeakers you'll be using, your room and your own requirements. For me, the E270 worked better with

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HouseElf said:

Hi Mac,

It has settled in wonderfully and continues to delight. I haven't noticed any great changes to the sound - it performs to an extremely high level no matter the genre of music. Bottom line is it is better than I could have ever hoped. 

Thanks, 

Rob

Great stuff, really pleased to hear that Rob

Mac

• Like 1
2 hours ago, toms wait said:

I have heard an Accuphase over 10 yrs ago and really liked it.

I owned a Luxman and was underwhelmed.

Where is the sweet spot in the Accuphase range over say the last 5 or so years.  Around £2-4000 secondhand

There's a lot of love for the class A E650, but to be honest, I don't know of anyone who's bought an Accuphase amp, no matter which model and regretted it.

Mac

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If anyone's on the look out for a top quality CDP/DAC, Signals in Ipswich has the DP430 for sale ex demo

Tempted myself, if they would take a trade in on my CDP and DAC.

Mac

• Like 2

Doug Bradey HiFi also have a DP430 for sale at a similar price and have offered me a home demo... mulling it over. really need to sell the Luxman DA 06 before any other purchase.

Mac

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 18/07/2018 at 10:17, Mblssmp2 said:

Yes, quite a track that is. It is astonishing that there is only one Accuphase dealer in the entire UK. I believe in Germany there are about 60 and in France about 30. I recently visited an Accuphase dealer in Hannover and he did simply not believe me that there is only one Accuphase dealer in the UK. 

The E600 does not run hot at all, just a bit warm. So, this is really not an issue. But I would not fret about E470 or E600. The E470 is a fantastic amp. I have listened to it at Audioworks several times. What is actually of importance is the entire system. If I had not ended up with a second-hand E600 that was given to me, I would have most likely bought a new E270 or maybe the E370 in order to have money to buy an appropriate digital source.  This is actually very important to fully appreciate Accuphase. I now have an Accuphase DP-560 CD player, which was a very difficult investment for me as a) I thought streaming is the way to go and b) the DP-560 costs a lot of money. The DP-430 is also very good but in the end, I decided to wait until I can afford one level up. When I was first looking at Accuphase amps, I had the same idea as you, adding a DAC card to it and connecting, in my case, a Melco to it, which is similar to Zenith. But comparing my Melco N1A to any of the Accuphase CD players just made it so obvious how much superior they are compared to current streaming options. This is despite the Melco, like your Zenith, being highly praised in reviews. So my Melco is now my secondary digital source connected to the DP-560 and I use it when I want to explore music, which  I don’t own through Tidal or I want to listen to an album I only have as a downloads. There is no question that the DAC of the DP-560 is tremendous and the Melco now sounds much better than before. However, playing a CD on the DP-560 is still better. My speakers are ATC SCM40, which are sealed box speaker and give you a very tight bass. They are also quiet time coherent speakers, which is an important aspect. 

Getting where I am now was only possible by having a very good HiFi dealer and doing plenty of auditions rather than reading things online.  Accuphase is all about time coherency. It is in their name. Audioworks mention time coherency on their website and there is also a US speaker manufacturer that has a very good page explaining the importance of time coherency. Once you have heard a time coherent system, you will not want to hear anything else anymore because now everything sounds extremely authentic. 

Hi,

Just reading back through this thread and this post stood out for me, as I'm currently trying to find a replacement DAC instead of a Luxman DA06 and you've made me wonder about the DP560... can this be used as a DAC too, apologies if you've already covered this.

I did have the chance of buying a DP430, but I was a bit too slow off the mark and it went.

Mac

Yes it can, see dp-560_e.pdf (accuphase.com)   for further details.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, terrycym said:

Yes it can, see dp-560_e.pdf (accuphase.com)   for further details.

Thanks for that... if anyone owns one, perhaps you could share your thoughts on how good the DAC is.

Mac

10 hours ago, whitehart said:

Anyone know what the UK RRP is for the DP560?

Cheers

Mac

Hi Mac

if I recall, it’s 8000 dollars so approx £5700

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Hi Mac

if I recall, it’s 8000 dollars so approx £5700

You should say "was" rather than "is" as it has now  been replaced by the DP-570 and you can't really convert $ to £ as $ doesn't include VAT as I understand and also, the dealer markups are different in each country. 

2 minutes ago, terrycym said:

You should say "was" rather than "is" as it has now  been replaced by the DP-570 and you can't really convert $ to £ as $ doesn't include VAT as I understand and also, the dealer markups are different in each country. 

It’s a reasonable guide tho for Macs purposes. 

The 570 is ten grand.

Thanks for the replies re price.

I heard back from one dealer and he did advise me that the DP560 has indeed been replaced by the megga expensive DP570, but if I managed to sell the Luxman DAC and my Electro CDP that could bring it down by a couple of grand, still a lot of money though.

Had a little search round for any sh or ex demo DP560's but no luck.

Mac