Super Wammer

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on Harbeth P3ESRs: there was some discussion just before Xmas in the "For Sale" section on their merits (http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?128246-Harbeth-s-P3ESR-speakers&highlight=Harbeth+P3ESR), and they seem to get possibly more mentions than most speakers on the WAM.

I have had my pair longer than most speakers I've owned - they replaced ATC SCM40s which were in some ways superb, but I found them fatiguing and they needed to be played at high volume to bring out their best, something wife and neighbours didn't appreciate. The Harbs I've found very musical, and even though they are in quite a largish room (8m x 5m) they seem to fill it without any problem. I have them on Something Solid stands which seem to allow them to breathe more than other stands I've tried them with, and they work very well with Glenn Croft's amplifiers. They also can be played at lowish volume without losing much. And they have WAF! OK, with heavy metal or large symphonic works they cannot compare to bigger speakers, but still very listenable; with jazz, folk, small classical ensemble, vocals generally, blues - they are just magic.

I've used Acoustic Energy, Mission, Audio Research, Dynaudio, AVI, ATC, etc., and found the Harbs by far the most musical and enjoyable. I've listened to bigger Harbs - 30.1 and C7s and yes, they are also very good and offer a bit more bass and perhaps a wider soundstage or more depth, but somehow they didn't seem to be that much of an improvement to make me want to change/upgrade - not sure if ultimately it would have been an upgrade. For sure there are certainly better speakers by any definition, but for now I don't envisage changing them. In terms of value for money, they must be very high on the list.

• Upvote 1

Comfortably the best overall speakers I've had. Yes others have things they do better but none hang together as a complete package in my room as well as the P3ESRs.

Best small room speakers ever ... I'm on my second pair of P3s, and have no intention of ever parting with them again.

Hi just wondered on how the monitor 30.1 compared to the c7? Have you ever heard the mad 1920. It's supposed to be one speaker that might rival the p3esr.

Hi Jas, Interesting, you mention a company I've never heard of. Just looked at their website and it's all good British made heritage stuff, very impressive.

So I'm not OT, I'll throw in that my tiny Harbs are going nowhere, perfection in my 12 x 12 foot room. These particular speakers do tend to attract a passionate following. When I exhibited mine at Scalford last year they went down very well indeed.....'Where's the sub woofer ?' sort of thing.

Also, I think there's a law I came across somewhere that says you can only partner these with British amplification, preferably from Scarborough. It's definitely true, read it on the internet somewhere ;-)

• Upvote 1

Croft and Luxman...both work super well IME.

I'd love to go to an AN J vs P3ESR type bakeoff with sommat like my old Lux SQ38 u driving them.

Hi Ian. I got a Croft integrated now with consonance 2.2 linear CD player. I use revolver music 1. It's a good speaker for the money. I want to take the next step though and harbeth seems to be the way to go. My room is 12 x 18_ft though so thinking perhaps I need a bigger harbeth. For sure if it was 12 x 12 it would be p3esr ☺

Hi Ian. I got a Croft integrated now with consonance 2.2 linear CD player. I use revolver music 1. It's a good speaker for the money. I want to take the next step though and harbeth seems to be the way to go. My room is 12 x 18_ft though so thinking perhaps I need a bigger harbeth. For sure if it was 12 x 12 it would be p3esr ☺

Interesting call jas, might be worth seeking views, or of course even better listening to both. Not always convenient getting to dems I appreciate.

I'm on my second pair too. Bought my first pair new in 2011, sold them in 2014 to fund some big Tannoys, then a few months ago got another new pair from the same dealer!

They are just fantastic and seem to occupy a perfect position in the performance-price ratio. A real bargain and well-suited to the average UK living room.

When speaking to Ian in his room at Scalford he remarked that they're the best speakers in the world. That thought stuck in my head for weeks afterwards and had me reminiscing about my old P3ESRs. When funds allowed I had to have another pair. I don't really hanker after anything else now.

Today I've played Keith Jarrett Trio, Wes Montgomery, Bach and Donald Fagen and they've been as insightful and musical as ever.

• Upvote 1

You might be ok with the P3 there, but the C7 is a bit of a step up in bass and scale IME of owning both.

Drop David Wren at Radlett Audio a line, he'll give you good advice on which Harbeth would suit your room.

I'm on my second pair too. Bought my first pair new in 2011, sold them in 2014 to fund some big Tannoys, then a few months ago got another new pair from the same dealer!

They are just fantastic and seem to occupy a perfect position in the performance-price ratio. A real bargain and well-suited to the average UK living room.

When speaking to Ian in his room at Scalford he remarked that they're the best speakers in the world. That thought stuck in my head for weeks afterwards and had me reminiscing about my old P3ESRs. When funds allowed I had to have another pair. I don't really hanker after anything else now.

Today I've played Keith Jarrett Trio, Wes Montgomery, Bach and Donald Fagen and they've been as insightful and musical as ever.

I may have been flush with Scalford excitement to have said that ! Did I see you were taking yours this year Greg ? Very keen to hear them with the Leben (despite my humour above). And to say hi of course !

I may have been flush with Scalford excitement to have said that ! Did I see you were taking yours this year Greg ? Very keen to hear them with the Leben (despite my humour above). And to say hi of course !

I think you were just being quite honest about how satisfied you were with them, all things considered. In a way, I'm inclined to agree - there's something 'exit-level' about them.

And yes, I'm bringing mine to the show this time round. The Leben will be in tow with the Rega Apollo-R and Chord Hugo DAC. My Audio-Technica turntable with Nagaoka cart should be interesting too.

I bought my Croft from David wren. He reckons I can't go wrong with any of the harbeths. I live near Swansea and the nearest harbeth dealer is hours away. So it's a case of buying blind or going on a long trip. I bought my Croft blind though and I'm sure glad I did ☺