Something Solid XF (on their Missing Link isolation feet).
The TonTraeger would be my preferred option, but they're 3 times the cost.
Let us know how it goes.

Would you say the missing link feet make a worthwhile difference and what do they look like in real life? I’ve been tempted to try them out, but they’re not cheap and to be frank they look a little “home made” on the pictures I’ve seen..

My 40.1’s are on SS stands, directly with spikes on granite slabs, which in turn are isolated by vibrapods on my wooden floors. I think this setup can probably be improved on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Would you say the missing link feet make a worthwhile difference and what do they look like in real life? I’ve been tempted to try them out, but they’re not cheap and to be frank they look a little “home made” on the pictures I’ve seen..

My 40.1’s are on SS stands, directly with spikes on granite slabs, which in turn are isolated by vibrapods on my wooden floors. I think this setup can probably be improved on

They look like this:

foot.jpg

speaker_1.jpg

All I can tell you, is that they certainly helped isolate my Speakers from my suspended wooden floor.

They do look a bit Heath Robinson - but the spike sits on Balsa wood (I think) and the whole thing is isolated, by "floating" on the white cord......and they are cheaper than the likes of the Gaias or Track Audio isolation spikes.

Now the speakers are in this room:

image3.jpeg

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Hi Mac

The standard 40.2 are £11,495 and the anniversaries are £14,995 according to a couple of dealer pages I’ve looked at. 

I hope you’re well!

Not too bad thank you and you?

Yes, I thought the prices were about that... I'll wait for the dealer to confirm, in case he's made a mistake before going any further.

It's a lot of money to dish out, I really wanted to wait till 2021 and I think Mrs Mac may yet have a say in this matter.

Mac

They look like this:
foot.jpg
speaker_1.jpg
All I can tell you, is that they certainly helped isolate my Speakers from my suspended wooden floor.
They do look a bit Heath Robinson - but the spike sits on Balsa wood (I think) and the whole thing is isolated, by "floating" on the white cord......and they are cheaper than the likes of the Gaias or Track Audio isolation spikes.
Now the speakers are in this room:
image3.jpeg.248a356275d19b1abab7d22fdb8edecc.jpeg

Thank you CNO, I will look into them again. A cost effective solution that does the job is what it is about after all.

Received confirmation this morning that the 40.2's are the Anniversary model... now I have a decision to make!

A home demo is a must before that though.

Mac

• Like 1

At that price yes! Speakers especially home demo.

Have fun.:)

I never saw a pair before till seeing them at kj west one recently,  much bigger than I thought. Bet they weigh a ton!!

On 22/12/2019 at 09:41, norton said:

I mainly use fully rebuilt esl57s which I enjoy but fancy trying some Harbeths

I have a pair of HLM Mk 1's ( Grand-daddy of the SHL5)  I am a hardcore ESL accolyte - the only reason I don't own any is space. The Harbies are in my experience the closest a box can get to the ESL musicality, detail and transparency, and I have played with some  high end boxes.

Contrary to popular myrh, Harbeths are easy to drive and unfussy speakers.  Having said that, the bigger ones do shine better with more amplification headroom.  What Baggawire's Modwright did with mine at a recent bake-off convinced me to go seperate pre/power, and I'm now looking at dual-mono amps.

Personally, I'd go as high up the range as you are comfrtable spending.  For you I'd say the 7ES-3 would be the entry point for your set-up and music choices. The P3ESR's are beautiful, but may not quite deliver the low end extension I imagine you'd want at quieter volumes .

Have you seen these?

I love my Harbeths.

And I'd avoid any  dealer that wants you to spend so much money with no home audition.  I  used to home-demo speakers twice as big and half the price for prospective clients back in the day.

3 minutes ago, Brigadoon said:

The P3ESR's are beautiful, but may not quite deliver the low end extension I imagine you'd want at quieter volumes .

Subs ... a pair even! 😬

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, locheeboy said:

If ye need (or think ye need subs), then ye chose the wrong speakers in the first place...B|

That, frankly, is a mistaken assumption 😛 🙃

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, locheeboy said:

Well bud, I'd expect everyone who owns a sub to say that. One must justify the expense...:whistle:

PS - it's not an assumption...:geek:

It’s not about justifying the expense. Some Harbeth owners have added subs AND taken measurements. There is a substantial difference in the results of the measurements. So it’s not psychoacoustics or trying to justify the expense.

Look at the P3ESR, it does not reach that low so a sub is used. Why not get a bigger Harbeth? Perhaps there is space constraint? Perhaps the sound of the C7ES3 is not preferred and the M30 costs too much?

• Upvote 1