21 hours ago, Brigadoon said:

I have a pair of HLM Mk 1's ( Grand-daddy of the SHL5)  I am a hardcore ESL accolyte - the only reason I don't own any is space. The Harbies are in my experience the closest a box can get to the ESL musicality, detail and transparency, and I have played with some  high end boxes.

Contrary to popular myrh, Harbeths are easy to drive and unfussy speakers.  Having said that, the bigger ones do shine better with more amplification headroom.  What Baggawire's Modwright did with mine at a recent bake-off convinced me to go seperate pre/power, and I'm now looking at dual-mono amps.

Personally, I'd go as high up the range as you are comfrtable spending.  For you I'd say the 7ES-3 would be the entry point for your set-up and music choices. The P3ESR's are beautiful, but may not quite deliver the low end extension I imagine you'd want at quieter volumes .

Have you seen these?

I love my Harbeths.

And I'd avoid any  dealer that wants you to spend so much money with no home audition.  I  used to home-demo speakers twice as big and half the price for prospective clients back in the day.

Thanks for the link to my sale !

I love the HL5+ but just haven't got the room now. So i'm looking to downsize.

What's the difference between the 30.1 and the C7ES3 ? Is it that the 30.1 are more analytical / hi fi / detailed whereas the C7ES3 are more old school / richer ?

17 hours ago, locheeboy said:

Well bud, I'd expect everyone who owns a sub to say that. One must justify the expense...:whistle:

...so  room nodes, null points, standing waves - these are all completely irrelevant ?  :shock:  Right, I'm off to claim back my tuition fees then...

Edited by Brigadoon

1 hour ago, Bigwig07 said:

Thanks for the link to my sale !

I love the HL5+ but just haven't got the room now. So i'm looking to downsize.

What's the difference between the 30.1 and the C7ES3 ? Is it that the 30.1 are more analytical / hi fi / detailed whereas the C7ES3 are more old school / richer ?

For me ... the C7ES3 seems to be more suitable for that ‘old sound’. If you into jazz stuff etc. The M30.1 sounds more modern. Both are good speakers but they seem, to me, to be just different in how they deliver music.

On 22/12/2019 at 06:56, norton said:

Hi All

I have a 5mLx3mw listening room

I heard some Harbeths years ago and it has stayed with me 

Looking for suggestions on which Harbeth would be best for room

They can be up to 1.5m from wall behind

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

ATB

Get yourself over to the classifieds tout suite for what looks to be a bargain pair of SL5’s

The home demo of the 40.2's have had to be put on hold as the dealer has injured his back, so won't be happening this Friay as planned.

Hopefully won't be long before it gets rearranged

Mac

31 minutes ago, whitehart said:

The home demo of the 40.2's have had to be put on hold as the dealer has injured his back, so won't be happening this Friay as planned.

Hopefully won't be long before it gets rearranged

Mac

......Probably due to boxing up the 40.2s for your dem!

• Like 1

That’s a bummer Mac, I’m sure you must have been excited. Good things come to those who wait!

I fell in love with the Harbeth sound a few years ago, and have had the SHL5, M30.1 and now the M40.1 in my various rooms. Once I heard a demo of the 40.1’s at Radlett Audio I had sleepless nights and realised that I will never be happy without them. So just over a year later I bought a pair. Now here comes the confession - I was never able to reproduce the sound that I heard at Radlett audio. I went from blaming the room/s, to the electronics to the speakers themselves. 3 and a half years after having bought them, I was about to give up on them and try Audio Note speakers. It’s not that they sounded bad, but they just never sounded as good as when they first stole my heart and I felt a little cheated.

That was until about a week ago when we moved to a new home with a new listening room. For the first time the speakers are placed against the long wall, which means they are not firing across/half into a fireplace alcove, they have more space to the sides, and there is no wall behind my listening position. And finally, I have rediscovered the magic and have fallen head over heels all over again for them. I may still try something else some day, but for now I am very happy that I hung on to them and never lost faith. They sound awesome!

I know they say that Harbeths in general are not finicky about placement, but they (especially the 40 series) compress the room tremendously and they do need a solidly built room with enough breathing space to sound their best. After having had them
In four different listening rooms, I think I can speak from experience.

It’s worth keeping it in mind when you do your demo

Chivas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Get yourself over to the classifieds tout suite for what looks to be a bargain pair of SL5’s

I have to agree with this. Inhad SHL5’s in a smaller room than yours and they worked beautifully. Considering your music preferences I think they could work very well for you. The SHL5’s just sound more effortless than the smaller boxes, and although I really like the M30.1’s the 5’s just worked better, even in my small room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Cno he did say he'd done it lifting speakers!

@Chivas, that was fascinating reading and valuable tips... I have to admit, I was very disappointed, especially as it's a back injury, you never know how long it will take to heal.

I'm not at all sure the 40.2 will work in my room, but will just have to see.

Mac

Went to visit my friend yesterday. He’s got a very nice set up. McIntosh, Bryston crossover, Marantz SA10 etc. Big JL sub that was so well integrated.

Started out with the Focal Diablo Utopia III. Okay ... sounded fine. Then moved on to the M30.2 ... the M30.2 blew the Focal out of the water. The Focal sounded so muted when compared with the M30.2

😬

• Like 1

Hi, I've finally received my Something Solid stands for the SHL5 Anni's. Bass is more articulate, goes deeper and has more weight. Perfect height at 18" too (Linn Skeet floor protectors raise them about a half inch but I'd factored that in already. Well chuffed 👍😁

Anyone know anything about the new XD series Harbeth are bringing out... My dealer didn't mention anything about a new line, if there's a 40.2 XD model, I'm sure it will be out of my budget anyway.

Mac

14 minutes ago, whitehart said:

Anyone know anything about the new XD series Harbeth are bringing out... My dealer didn't mention anything about a new line, if there's a 40.2 XD model, I'm sure it will be out of my budget anyway.

Mac

There's not even a mention about the XD range on their website.

I'm still tempted to hear a pair with the Leema at some point.

10 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

There's not even a mention about the XD range on their website.

I'm still tempted to hear a pair with the Leema at some point.

Not the most well run website to be honest, still a bit surprising though.

Would be good to read your thoughts on Harbeth with your amp.

Mac