Spotify pulls plug on Squeezebox?

And we'll still be able to play them in 50 years (LP's) if we're still alive. Not a cat in hell's chance of your streaming provider still being around never mind being able to play the files.

Edited by killie99

17 minutes ago, killie99 said:

And we'll still be able to play them in 50 years (LP's) if we're still alive. Not a cat in hell's chance of your streaming provider still being around never mind being able to play the files.

I don't use a streaming provider. I have a server + backup server, then endpoint renderer & Android Tablet as controller. Which is overkill really, but seemed a good strategy to go with when I upgraded to a whizzier Synology last year.

Very easy to set up with an endpoint streamer of choice. I've been doing this for years with no issues. 

Anyone running SBT's and  LMS should have been able to smell the coffee re support of streaming services long-term. As the Squeezebox line was discontinued, how many years back?

Plenty of mfrs look to be in this for the long term though. And endpoint hardware can be implemented in other ways such as Raspberry Pi or PC/Mac/Linux based H/W solutions.

Edited by vacdac

The lack of a long-term guarantee is the main reason I've not subscribed to any streaming service and still buy lots of CDs and a fair few LPs. I rip all my CDs and play them on the SBT, but at least I have all my CDs as a backup,  if my on and off-site backups ever should fail.

I hope my SBT hardware keeps working, but even if it fails, a replacement either with another, or some other endpoint like the Pi is relatively trivial as all my music is still here, under my control.

S

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, vacdac said:

I don't use a streaming provider. I have a server + backup server, then endpoint renderer & Android Tablet as controller. Which is overkill really, but seemed a good strategy to go with when I upgraded to a whizzier Synology last year.

Very easy to set up with an endpoint streamer of choice. I've been doing this for years with no issues. 

Anyone running SBT's and  LMS should have been able to smell the coffee re support of streaming services long-term. As the Squeezebox line was discontinued, how many years back?

Plenty of mfrs look to be in this for the long term though. And endpoint hardware can be implemented in other ways such as Raspberry Pi or PC/Mac/Linux based H/W solutions.

The irony is ironic.

Streaming and downloading is/was supposed to be simple. It is anything but.

By comparison, I acknowledge more hardware is required, but playing an LP is very straightforward.

I'm not in the stone age. We have a reasonably excessive setup here, because we both work from home using the internet, sometimes with stuff that needs to be secure. As a starter, a network with subnets. Assorted printers and multiple NAS, some accessible throughout the network, some not. Everthing is firewalled, some more than just that.

We are not technophobes. However, listening to music is a pleasant retreat. I really don't need excessive complication, trashy software and the like. Why? It's totally unnecessary. Downloading and streaming should inherently be simple. It could be, but it isn't. It's a total waste of time usually. I could spend a long time trying to stream something at far worse quality than I can get from sticking the album on the turntable and lowering the arm onto it.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, rabski said:

The irony is ironic.

Streaming and downloading is/was supposed to be simple. It is anything but.

By comparison, I acknowledge more hardware is required, but playing an LP is very straightforward.

I'm not in the stone age. We have a reasonably excessive setup here, because we both work from home using the internet, sometimes with stuff that needs to be secure. As a starter, a network with subnets. Assorted printers and multiple NAS, some accessible throughout the network, some not. Everthing is firewalled, some more than just that.

We are not technophobes. However, listening to music is a pleasant retreat. I really don't need excessive complication, trashy software and the like. Why? It's totally unnecessary. Downloading and streaming should inherently be simple. It could be, but it isn't. It's a total waste of time usually. I could spend a long time trying to stream something at far worse quality than I can get from sticking the album on the turntable and lowering the arm onto it.

Utter rubbish!! Not at all complicated to setup & it just works. Carry on rolling out objections, as you usually wade in & do in these threads. I think my postings on various WAYLTRN threads are a fair indication of how little dicking around with hi-fi I I do. 

It's not for you, but you have endlessly banged on with your feeble reasons as to why not. 

Edited by vacdac

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, SergeAuckland said:

The lack of a long-term guarantee is the main reason I've not subscribed to any streaming service and still buy lots of CDs and a fair few LPs. I rip all my CDs and play them on the SBT, but at least I have all my CDs as a backup,  if my on and off-site backups ever should fail.

I hope my SBT hardware keeps working, but even if it fails, a replacement either with another, or some other endpoint like the Pi is relatively trivial as all my music is still here, under my control.

S

21 minutes ago, vacdac said:

At the risk of sounding like ProgressResistantOldFartsRUs, what they say^...

I use Spotify to audition (for possible purchase) stuff on my desktop (with excellent Harman Kardon speakers which probably now count as vintage) but otherwise I own everything to which I listen for these reasons. Streaming is a great way to explore the widest range of music but at the end of the day you are just renting it and when you stop paying the rent...

I may have missed mention of this in an earlier post but on the Logitech Squeezebox forum (forums.slimdevices.com) there is much praise for a Logitech employee who also develops stuff under his own steam and one of these is called Spotty... Previously mainly a badge of honour for the open source community this is finding new fans as quickly as people are getting p1ssed off with Spotify. I havent touched my LMS since I set it up on my Synology but for anyone more technically inclined (most of you) this would definitely be worth a closer look. Do report back if you have a poke!

1 minute ago, vacdac said:

Utter rubbish!! Not at all complicated to setup & it just works. Carry on rolling out objections, as you usually wade in & do in these threads. I think my postings on various WAYLTRN threads are a fair indication of how little ducking around with hif I I do. 

It's not for you, but you have endlessly banged on with your feeble reasons as to why not. 

Hard day at the office? :)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

At the risk of sounding like ProgressResistantOldFartsRUs, what they say^...

I use Spotify to audition (for possible purchase) stuff on my desktop (with excellent Harman Kardon speakers which probably now count as vintage) but otherwise I own everything to which I listen for these reasons. Streaming is a great way to explore the widest range of music but at the end of the day you are just renting it and when you stop paying the rent...

I may have missed mention of this in an earlier post but on the Logitech Squeezebox forum (forums.slimdevices.com) there is much praise for a Logitech employee who also develops stuff under his own steam and one of these is called Spotty... Previously mainly a badge of honour for the open source community this is finding new fans as quickly as people are getting p1ssed off with Spotify. I havent touched my LMS since I set it up on my Synology but for anyone more technically inclined (most of you) this would definitely be worth a closer look. Do report back if you have a poke!

Hard day at the office? :)

No just that Rabs always plays the complication card, rather than simply say it's not for him. Plenty of people who are not particularly I.T. savvy or have geeky leanings seem to manage just fine. 

Edited by vacdac

most of the time, streaming is easy - certainly the chromecast audio doodad is a doddle, some proper owd farts on here have managed to stream spotify with that.  Squeezebox stopping support is a pain, but Spotty popped up to get it working again pretty sharpish and was pretty easy to install - for most of us a lot easier than adjusting tracking weight and VTA let alone changing a cartridge.....

And please stop with the 'and you've lost all your music' argument.  You don't own it when you use Spotify, you pay for access to the library.  Napster/Itunes etc are different - I dont' agree with their licensing model where you own it until they decide you don't.  But Spotify/Tidal et all are just a huge great library with no usage limits beyond 24 hours in the day.  If you can't manage to play spotify you're going to get left way behind over the next few years - a bit like someone who can't manage google or email I'm afraid.  Or like someone who stuck with wax discs when those new fangled vinyl records came out....

• Upvote 1

You can call me anything you like, but I'm not entirely stupid when it comes to IT stuff. I do it for a living. Yes, it's relatively easy to set up, but not that easy. My main objection is the constant changes made by providers and the unnecessary complication. I have streaming here, and a NAS server (three, actually). I use many of the currently available services, but I'm sorry, they are not 'simple'. The major issue is the subject of the thread. Support stopping and needing getarounds to use.

Yes, it's not difficult, but usually it's far more difficult than it needs to be. Most of my work is making software relatively simple to use. Would that it applied in this spere.

It isn't that 't's 'not for me', it's just that I have an issue with stuff being unnecessarily recalcitrant. It would take little development to make most of this far more user friendly, but it is as if the companies try to make it as hard as possible.

As for 'easy', I have lost track of the number of times I've been to people's places and watched them spending ten minutes trying to get 'a' to connect to 'b' and play something. I work with software that works. Every time. A lot of this crap doesn't.

• Upvote 1

Q

30 minutes ago, rabski said:

You can call me anything you like, but I'm not entirely stupid when it comes to IT stuff. I do it for a living. Yes, it's relatively easy to set up, but not that easy. My main objection is the constant changes made by providers and the unnecessary complication. I have streaming here, and a NAS server (three, actually). I use many of the currently available services, but I'm sorry, they are not 'simple'. The major issue is the subject of the thread. Support stopping and needing getarounds to use.

Yes, it's not difficult, but usually it's far more difficult than it needs to be. Most of my work is making software relatively simple to use. Would that it applied in this spere.

It isn't that 't's 'not for me', it's just that I have an issue with stuff being unnecessarily recalcitrant. It would take little development to make most of this far more user friendly, but it is as if the companies try to make it as hard as possible.

As for 'easy', I have lost track of the number of times I've been to people's places and watched them spending ten minutes trying to get 'a' to connect to 'b' and play something. I work with software that works. Every time. A lot of this crap doesn't.

My guess would be that a simple tweak of the renderer polling interval in the controllers settings (Bubble UPnP in my case) e.g tweak this setting if available & set it to blast alive messages & similarly shortening the servers advertisement interval should sort that issue for many people. In my set up, my NAS is out of hibernation & up & the whole set-up is running inside of a couple of minutes from powering up my tablet & streamer. It does this day in day out. 

EDIT.

I know the default server advertisement on a Synology NAS is summat like around 12 mins IIRC & that deffo causes issues like you describe if not pared down to three minutes or less.

Edited by vacdac

My SBT stopped working last week, I already have a Chromecast media for the TV and it was easy to set up works flawlessly. No fking about with PI's and such like loading programs  hoping it will last the week.

I appreciate some enjoy the challenge and are willing to do this and good luck to you but I've come to the conclusion that I don't like playing with S/W outside of work.

I've now ordered a Cromecast Audio, maybe a daft question but does anyone know if the output from the C/C Audio can be fed direct into the SBT or do I have to dig out my DAC and use that? Source is Official Spotify premium via an iPad.

Cheers,

John

5 hours ago, Joco said:

My SBT stopped working last week, I already have a Chromecast media for the TV and it was easy to set up works flawlessly. No fking about with PI's and such like loading programs  hoping it will last the week.

I appreciate some enjoy the challenge and are willing to do this and good luck to you but I've come to the conclusion that I don't like playing with S/W outside of work.

I've now ordered a Cromecast Audio, maybe a daft question but does anyone know if the output from the C/C Audio can be fed direct into the SBT or do I have to dig out my DAC and use that? Source is Official Spotify premium via an iPad.

Cheers,

John

2 options for the CC

1. mini jack to phono cable, straight into your pre-amp (make sure to turn on hi-res or HDR or whatever they call it to get full volume and resolution)

2. mini toslink - full toslink into optical audio in of your DAC (automatically selects HDR or whatever it's called)

No way or need to connect it to your SBT.  

Download the Google home app to your iPad, Connect the CC to the mains and DAC, wait for the iPAD to see the CC, feed it your wifi password, start spotify, select the CC as your 'device' in spotify and away you go.

• Upvote 1

I use an Android tablet and don't bother with the google home app (I don't think it's really needed) might be different on an ithingy though.

Shame about the SBT, although it 'may' still allow me to connect to and use my HDD as used previously via the iPeng app - not sure of the pathway / can't remember. I'll need to use my VDAC 2 which was ok.

Cheers pg and mike, I'll post back as the unit arrives next week.

John

Edited by Joco

5 hours ago, Man in a van said:

I use an Android tablet and don't bother with the google home app (I don't think it's really needed) might be different on an ithingy though.

you need it if the CC isn't connected to your WiFi, so you can point the CC at your network and provide the password.  Once that's done, the Home app is redundant as Spotify, BBC Radio etc all control the CC directly.