Sign in to follow this  
orbscure

Looking for an Android tablet

Super Wammer

With the battery inside my trusty Nexus 7 tablet playing silly buggers at the moment, does anybody have any recommendations for a new 7" to 10" android tablet? It doesn't need much in the way of internal storage, I simply us mine for remote jRiver Media Center access, streaming via Bubble UPnP to a Chromcast Audio device and general web surfing. Are there any good sub £200 deals anywhere?

Muchos grassyass in advance :) 

I've Nexus 7 which is ticking along ok

Wanted a cheap second tablet for controlling my server, so after a bit of research bought a

Lenovo TAB3 7 Essential Tablet  from John Lewis with a 2 year guarantee for £49.99 Seems the price has gone up to £69.99 but haven't checked prices elsewhere

https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-tab3-7-essential-tablet-quad-core-processor-android-gps-wi-fi-only-7-1gb-ram-8gb-hard-drive/p3125323

Good, cheap little tablet seems more solid and a better display than my very old Nexus 7. Battery life isn't the best and only 8GB but does all that I wanted it for and couldn't go wrong at the price I paid.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Cheers John... for that price I could have one for the Chromcast Audio in the bedroom and one here for jRiver duties here in the living room :) 

If anybody has them,  any larger display suggestions would be appreciated  :^

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8" is a bloody good little tablet, with great battery life & will run Bubble UPnP, you'll need to buy it again from the Amazon App market for the full licenced version, with the full range of settings available for £ 2-99..

I've been shocked at how good it is, even for the full asking price, after I took a punt on one on Amazon Prime day for only £40 delivered. Even at £90 it is a steal...you can have the ad platform removed for a tenner if it bugs you. Worth considering a tempered glass screen protector to prevent scratches to the plastic screen & a folio type case is also worth getting for added protection. Use mine quite heavily for browsing/emails & forum time & pretty rock solid using Bubble UPnP.

Lenovo Yoga tablets are also good, still have a Yoga Tab 2 here as well, my second & generally a good all rounder, although Lenovo are slow to roll out Android new version updates IME & also tend to stop at fairly out of date versions once the product has been discontinued for over a year or so. Kinda annoying when the Hardware specs will easily support more current versions.

Edited by vacdac
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

Cheers Chris... an Amazon Kindle Fire without the bloatware would be definitely something I'd consider. With regards running Bubble UPnP on one, I know its cheap, but does that mean my full paid up copy won't run on it?

46 minutes ago, orbscure said:

Cheers Chris... an Amazon Kindle Fire without the bloatware would be definitely something I'd consider. With regards running Bubble UPnP on one, I know its cheap, but does that mean my full paid up copy won't run on it?

I think there may be a way to finesse installing Apps from the Android App Market. TBH tho' I favoured the none learning curve simple approach & was up & running with the full version of Bubble inside 10 mins of it landing. Makes life easier in general for any new Fire tablets, if added too!

Essentially the Fire O.S. is basically a skinned version of Android 5.0, so cross compatibility with some Android Apps should be possible. You will likely have to temporarily disable some security features like you do for an Android App when not from the official Apps market. 

You may also need to manually install any updates for none official Apps too, at a guess??

Edited by vacdac

Super Wammer

Thanks for the Black Friday head-up Graham, I think my Nexus 7 might survive log enough, unless I launch it across the room :) 

Edited by orbscure

Acer iconia tab 10 is not a bad bit of kit, nice big screen for the money - about 130 i think.  Or the kids have samsung galaxy tab-E, 10 inch display, under 150, just be careful with the charging socket - get on Geek (chinese shopping site) and get a magnetic charging cable for it.  Both should run your remote control app easily and are basic android tablets.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Many thanks Paul... especially with the  Galaxy Tab charging socket pointer. Its exactly that what's playing up on my Nexus 7 >:(

On 07/08/2017 at 20:45, orbscure said:

Many thanks Paul... especially with the  Galaxy Tab charging socket pointer. Its exactly that what's playing up on my Nexus 7 >:(

this is ironic for the Wam but..... try a new cable! some have connectors that make a better connection - fatter, thicker metal whatever.  Pop into a shop and try one or two and see if they fix it...

Super Wammer

Thanks again Paul... I have more of these android type charging leads than you can shake a stick at but the problem still remains. In any case, I fancy something with a larger screen, so this socket issue gives me an ideal excuse to upgrade :)