TheFlash

High reflectivity CD-R's - do they exist?

Super Wammer

My vintage Pioneer PD-91 plays red book CDs perfectly. My Arcam CD players also play CD-R but the Pioneer doesn't like them - they sound perfect but the music is interrupted by spikes/stutters a few times a minute and I'm concerned I might do some damage to the player.

(FYI: all my CDs have been uploaded via iTunes and are stored as ALAC files on my Synology NAS. When I want to take a copy of a CD I just burn a CD-R from iTunes).

I have had a poke around t'interweb and it seems the problem is nothing to do with format (like CD-RW which many older players don't like) but all down to the difference between how commercial CD's are "pressed" and how domestic CD-R's are made. And that ultimately manifests itself as the reflectivity of the surface, specifically lack of reflectivity on CD-R's. Someone has suggested Sony discs might be better than most and I'm happy to give that a shot though I suspect the issue is one of design not brand.

I would appreciate any other suggestions. Otherwise I'll just need to stick to playing original CDs on the PD-91. Which is fine, though if I take my vintage rig to Scalford 2018 it would have been nice to have a disc of my favourite tracks rather than swapping discs every time...

Thanks,

Nigel

Super Wammer

I never had a problem with my Pioneer PDS802 with any CDRs (I used to like the black ones but have found that the Verbatim ones still play whereas others die with age) so perhaps it is just a problem with the 91.  A number of players from that era would not play CDRs (Naim and my wife's car CD player spring to mind, though no connection is intended as to quality of both of these .. also the first Sugden Masterclass CD players refused to play them at a show I was at in London many years ago).  So methinks (but I do not know for sure) that perhaps it will just not play CDRs. :( 

Super Wammer
15 hours ago, uzzy said:

I never had a problem with my Pioneer PDS802 with any CDRs (I used to like the black ones but have found that the Verbatim ones still play whereas others die with age) so perhaps it is just a problem with the 91.  A number of players from that era would not play CDRs (Naim and my wife's car CD player spring to mind, though no connection is intended as to quality of both of these .. also the first Sugden Masterclass CD players refused to play them at a show I was at in London many years ago).  So methinks (but I do not know for sure) that perhaps it will just not play CDRs. :( 

Thanks. Yes, that's what I suspect to; it's a mere inconvenience rather than a box-swapping imperative.

My Meridian 506.24 will NOT play most CD-Rs - it does not use a CD-ROM drive

As far as I can tell it's down to where they are made, there is notorious factory  called "Moser Baer India" (dyeinfo tells you this) that do make for 'big brands' like Sony and they are utter ****

I have found that generally any made (not branded) by Ritek should be good, such as TDK. Most blanks use Phthalocyanine, very few Cyanine AZO

As many LPs come with downloads,  and some are WAV which is nice I do burn a few. I have also in the past made compilations for Scalford to save CD swapping as I'm a lazy **** (had a great geeky conversation at Scalford few years back about this with a visitor :cool:)

The solution is simple - Red Book compliant CD-As, sometimes referred to as CD-R Music, I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ETH61O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 BUT (a big one) a good CD writer is required, something like a Pioneer which work for years no problems. E.G. on the rare occasion I have a need to burn I use my son's monster gaming rig ( 3 screens I ask you!) as that has Pioneer fitted, the cheap as chips house PC (wife email / surfing) can't hack it :roll:

Why do I feel that I'm turning into my hero Serge? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, uzzy said:

I used to like the black ones but have found that the Verbatim ones still play whereas others die with age

those should be CMC Magnetics Corporation made and OK, though I fear this is like the end of the 3.5" floppy** disk when finding a decent pack was like finding a needle in a haystack  

I should add that the old TDKs do deteriorate badly (for data storage where dye break up is visible) but have found better after they move manufacture out to Ritek

** yes I know that South Africans call hem stiffies before FFR tells me :doh:

Edited by Maverick
can't spell!

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

My Meridian 506.24 will NOT play most CD-Rs - it does not use a CD-ROM drive

As far as I can tell it's down to where they are made, there is notorious factory  called "Moser Baer India" (dyeinfo tells you this) that do make for 'big brands' like Sony and they are utter ****

I have found that generally any made (not branded) by Ritek should be good, such as TDK. Most blanks use Phthalocyanine, very few Cyanine AZO

As many LPs come with downloads,  and some are WAV which is nice I do burn a few. I have also in the past made compilations for Scalford to save CD swapping as I'm a lazy **** (had a great geeky conversation at Scalford few years back about this with a visitor :cool:)

The solution is simple - Red Book compliant CD-As, sometimes referred to as CD-R Music, I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ETH61O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 BUT (a big one) a good CD writer is required, something like a Pioneer which work for years no problems. E.G. on the rare occasion I have a need to burn I use my son's monster gaming rig ( 3 screens I ask you!) as that has Pioneer fitted, the cheap as chips house PC (wife email / surfing) can't hack it :roll:

Why do I feel that I'm turning into my hero Serge? 

You are Serge 2 and I claim my prize!

Excellent, sir, many thanks; will have a poke around and try a few things (different brand, those ones you pointed me to on Amazon, and maybe a better recorder).

I wouldn't ever describe myself as lazy of course, I would merely emphasise the convenience factor in being able to play a CD-R with an hour or so of one's favourite music on it. :)

kind answer Nigel :cool:

My music purchases are nowadays are entirely vinyl, so often with downloads as I said. If I can only find CD of something that takes my fancy then 2nd hand on Amazon is where I look.

I do have a large-ish CD collection (>600?) and am considering building a simple music server with content all backed up to a cloud service so I can move them to the loft (more lazyness). Plus I do wonder what will happen if my much loved Meridian CDP was to need a repair now the very clever Chris Coaster has shut his Meridian repair business.

My post above got me thinking as many laptops come without a CD drive (including my #2 daughter's VERY expensive Alienware gaming laptop - what you say?).

So I am thinking of trying one of these external Pioneer drives : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-DVR-XU01T-External-Slim-DVD-RW-USB-2-0-Black-/122610163838?epid=736018336&hash=item1c8c22a07e:g:L4kAAOSw0UNZcjU1

worth a stab I guess

Super Wammer

If you're going to get a USB optical drive I would suggest investing in one that reads blu rays, as more and more music is being released in that format, including the lovely Steven Wilson remixes. It would mean also investing in DVDAudioExtracter, but that's a one time purchase as well.

Food for thought.

Edited by bigfool1956
it's early for me

a fair point - personally I can't remember the last time my Bluray player was powered up, basically just another thing to dust :cool:

Apologies for the spelling but Tadio Yeuden (?) discs used to be the ones to get apparently....

2 hours ago, pgarrish said:

Apologies for the spelling but Tadio Yeuden (?) discs used to be the ones to get apparently....

Taiyo Yuden - you will find these with difficulty nowadays and fakes are common, also often making "for brand names"

whether you have Red Book compatible is a risk

I used to use https://www.svp.co.uk/ when I needed volumes for work some years ago, they do understand about dye

they also stock Maxell CD Audio discs, cheaper if you don't have a wife with an Amazon Prime account B|

Super Wammer

Thanks everyone. I got myself some Maxell XL-II 80 CD-R's as mentioned by Maverick; will burn something tonight and try it out on the PD-91 next time I'm oop noorth. My hopes are (only) moderately raised, but I am impressed by the visual appearance vs Imation and Verbatim as the Maxells are not translucent - I can't see the top surface design when looking at the bottom surface. Not a threat to life or happiness if it doesn't work, it would just be nice.

Let us know, am interested really 

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Let us know, am interested really 

Certainly will. My expectation bias is set to 95% No Way so I reserve the right to get over-excited.