Sign in to follow this  
alboy1975

Advice for work friend - connecting turntable to naim nac92

a work colleague has a naim nac92 pre amp and he's just picked up a project III turntable for £1 (17 quid to replace motor).  He's asked me about connecting it up.  I've found the correct internal board for him (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naim-NA-522-N-Moving-Magnet-Phono-Boards-pair-Brand-new-boxed-/112009500771 ) and have also suggested a similar alternative external stage (trichord dino).  I am however, unsure how to connect to the naim pre-amp, a it seem to have xlr balanced inputs.  I've evener used these, have any of you got some advice to give me?

Cheers

Not XLR, but Din sockets. Naim (for reasons known best to them) have favoured Din since forever.

Good news for your friend and his 92 though is that there are a pair of RCA sockets as input 1 on the rear, so no need to struggle to get the Project/ Dino up and running. 

naim-nac-92-1995-110062--%5B2%5D-560-p.j

If input 1 is being used by something else, he'll need a RCA to Din lead so the Dino can go into another input like this one below.

2-x-phono-rca-plugs-naim-style-5-pin-rin

Edited by bandit pilot

Think he may have wired it up, but getting no sound.  Makes me think it has no phono board installed.  Would this be a fair assumption  and do think think the phono link i've suggested is the right option?

If the intended path is a Dino or similar, he won't need the phono boards in the pre. It will plug into any one of the line level inputs. 

And yes it's a fair assumption as I don't think the phono stage came as standard. It would have to have been fitted later unless bought with one already installed.