Mondie's speaker endgame: Lenard Audio 4-way active, high efficiency horn system development

Mondie

Simon the Pusan C appears to be currently used by my old Company CMA CGM . Who is doing your clearance of the cargo ? Presume this is arriving in a LCL container with other cargo which will be delivered to a local off dock depot at Felixstowe and will be unloaded their and then you will need to present your documents and pay clearance and duty before you can collect the cargo . Have you had notice of the place of collection and had your documents ? If so then act as quickly as you can to present your originals to the company bringing the container in to the UK and get details of your full cost for clearance and hand out to you at the depot . If you can ensure that all of this is in place at least seven days before the vessel arrives so there is no delay . Often with LCL operators there is only a very short period for you to clear and collect before the item starts to attract daily storage charges you need to avoid these if you can .

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Wow...so happy to know that sir :)

Felixstowe has always been my home port for 14 years now. Wish I was carrying your speakers on my boat...they would have got gauranteed VIP treatment during carriage, all the way to delivery :)

Not to mention, I would have stolen them for a listen and packed them back :D

Atleast you would have got your speakers fully burned in  :D

Sadly they are on a different boat. I did check up that ship "Pusan C" , seems to be from a different line than mine. I was hoping it was a "ever green line ", as I have some lovely agents in felixstowe who could have helped ease up things if required. But anyways Iam sure, things will be smooth sir :)

Once in felixstowe,  if you have a taste for Indian food, there is a restaurant called as "blue naan". Awesome food they serve. Better than the best Indian restaurants in India too :)

Thats kind of you, it would have been a hell of a job getting them out of the crate though. The collection I am ok with, the unpacking and man handling is a bit of an unknown.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation. I will have time to kill so I will plan to give the Blue Naan a go :^

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bencat said:

Simon the Pusan C appears to be currently used by my old Company CMA CGM . Who is doing your clearance of the cargo ? Presume this is arriving in a LCL container with other cargo which will be delivered to a local off dock depot at Felixstowe and will be unloaded their and then you will need to present your documents and pay clearance and duty before you can collect the cargo . Have you had notice of the place of collection and had your documents ? If so then act as quickly as you can to present your originals to the company bringing the container in to the UK and get details of your full cost for clearance and hand out to you at the depot . If you can ensure that all of this is in place at least seven days before the vessel arrives so there is no delay . Often with LCL operators there is only a very short period for you to clear and collect before the item starts to attract daily storage charges you need to avoid these if you can .

Good morning Andrew,

The goods will be cleared by a small forwarder based in Chester, they are the UK agent of the Aussie guy who is a good mate, and handled the export for me. He is a one man band and works with like minded agents so I am comfortable that his UK agent will be ok. I have been told I will have a couple of days notice to collect the speakers before I start getting hit with warehouse charges, I dont see this being an issue. I have a hire van with tail lift sorted and will just take a day off at short notice and hit the road.

It seems the UK freight industry is in disarrray at present. All the regular agents we use at work were simply not interested in a noe ff shipment, they are struggling to keep on top of things for their regular cleints as it is.

I appreciate your advice on the process, I will go back to the agent now and give him a nudge and have him confirm he has everything in place.

Cheers

• Like 1

Your more than welcome @Mondieif you do need any help or advice then PM me . I am retired now so have plenty of time to do a few calls or fill things if needed . I know from old friends still working that what you say is right about things being not really a mess but very busy so many large FF will not take simple cases . If you have any issues CMA CGM can handle the clearance and duty payments internally with their fully owned FF wing so let me know if you need any contacts .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Cheers Andrew, that is very kind :)

Wondering if your inbox is full Simon..

Jack

It was, but cleaned up now Jack :^

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

They're here! After a big day in a hired van with my son, we collected them and the acoustic treatment from a lovely part of Essex called Purfleet yesterday, and then several hours last night breaking into the crates and unpacking, I am feeling pretty dull today. I unwrapped the speakers earlier and moved them into position. Tomorrow I will have a conference call with the boys at Lenard so we can go about final setup and first power up.

I am over the moon with the whole experience. The system was exceptionally well packed and the build quality of the Symphonys is first class. My pics are poor but I will try for some better shots once I have everything up and going and the rest of the protective film off the speakers.

609689195_WhatsAppImage2021-06-10at22_26.14-1.thumb.jpeg.a75b7989288a5a0663fc27a24ffd95e5.jpeg

Its times like this, when you are unloading a 4 ton truck thats full of audio kit that you realise decades of audio nuttiness may have reached peak madness :x

1339926756_WhatsAppImage2021-06-10at22_28_32.thumb.jpeg.7f9fc60b7a8e44be68380d2927b5d2c2.jpeg

The crating and packaging really was Mil spec! The gold waterproof wrapping was exceptionally strong and each speaker was wrapped in 50mm acoustic batts. I reckon I could have had a speaker fall over when moving it and no damage would have been done.

1243384770_WhatsAppImage2021-06-10at22_31_03.thumb.jpeg.83fccf5961a5dcf8e6f3a62b7a3aead1.jpeg

It was 10pm by the time we had wrestled the speakers into my room and after 14 hours, it was time to call it a day.

1944978513_IMG_20210611_144244(Large).thumb.jpg.99d8090fdf0a3acc6e216854161b2a21.jpg

Simple but highly protective packaing for speakers that are so large, and it will be easy to rewrap for moving in the future. Ingenious thinking and much better than messing around with foam.

1017511295_IMG_20210611_145835(Large).thumb.jpg.6bdbab59dfb257257f218ee6a47d8cf4.jpg

The Kef Ref 4.2's felt intimidated but knew they were always on borrowed time.

Edited by Mondie
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

2139459022_IMG_20210611_150106(Large).thumb.jpg.42de105ab575f3a1942e4f9a0a3eeec8.jpg

There is no substitute for a high efficiency 15" mid bass even when compared against the Kefs with their 3 x 6.5".

749734480_IMG_20210611_154255(Large).thumb.jpg.4e12a4feef2c3465d082c1ccec086982.jpg

The Symphony's are safely into position and ready for some fun tomorrow. I have to fit the TAD super tweeters, thats what you can see in the speaker base. I should have taken another pic after I removed them. The rooms in flux so ignore the clutter, nothing will be unpacked and sorted until I have the speakers in the optimum position first which will involve some time and experimenting.

Edited by Mondie
  • Like 9

WOW!!! They look fantastic, well worth the wait, I’d say. Let’s hope they exceed expectations when you fire them up for the first time tomorrow 👍

• Like 1

Congratulations Simon, looking forward to more progress on this thread..it's been a long wait..

• Like 1

Yep congrats also ........looking great .....at last ,..you could play that song as an intro....:D

• Like 1

They look wonderful Simon, cannot wait to hear your comments on how they sound, in your room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mondie said:

2139459022_IMG_20210611_150106(Large).thumb.jpg.42de105ab575f3a1942e4f9a0a3eeec8.jpg

There is no substitute for a HE 15" mid bass, even if they Kefs use 3 x 6.5".

749734480_IMG_20210611_154255(Large).thumb.jpg.4e12a4feef2c3465d082c1ccec086982.jpg

The Symphony's are safely into position and ready for some fun tomorrow. I have to fit the TAD super tweeters, thats what you can see in the speaker base. I should have taken another pic after I removed them. Ignore the clutter, nothing will be unpacked and sorted until I have the speakers in the optimum position first which will involve some time and experimenting.

I thought the KEFs had two 10" bass drivers in those? Nothing compares to 15" though, unless its an 18" subwoofer... :D:^

• Like 2