Mondie's speaker endgame: Lenard Audio 4-way active, high efficiency horn system development

1 hour ago, HoopsOnToast said:

I thought the KEFs had two 10" bass drivers in those? Nothing compares to 15" though, unless its an 18" subwoofer... :D:^

They do Hoops, the Symphonys have twin 12". Fully active, engineered by an electro-acoustic master, so an entirely different level of performance over passives.

• Like 2
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no substitute for a high efficiency 15" mid bass even when compared against the Kefs with their 3 x 6.5". The Symphony's are safely into position and ready for some fun tomorrow. I

Update time One delay and reason after another means my speakers are still in Oz. Just when we thought the time had come to ship, Melbourne extended its lockdown for another month. The best case now

My first set of speakers were purchased at the ripe old age of 12 after saving months of paper round money. You could say I was bitten by a love of music and audio quite early, influenced as I was by

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HoopsOnToast said:

I thought the KEFs had two 10" bass drivers in those? Nothing compares to 15" though, unless its an 18" subwoofer... :D:^

Did someone mention 18” subwoofers 😁😁

the speakers look the dogs doodahs Simon 

• Like 1

Thanks Keith. Paul at Lenard and I discussed the aesthetics endlessly, it felt like the one area we both were a bit stumped. However, he has really nailed it in the end, and way exceeded what I was expecting. You cannot tell in the photos but the horn and top cap are both painted a very dark metallic green which adds a real touch of class in person.

Simon just out of interest how accurate and complex will the positioning and set up of these be ? They look very impressive indeed will it take you hours or days to get things right ?

Edited by bencat
16 hours ago, jumpmonkey said:

Wow.  Great thread, they look bloody awesome!

My thoughts exactly👍

2 hours ago, bencat said:

Simon just out of interest how accurate and complex will the positioning and set up of these be ? They look very impressive indeed will it take you hours or days to get things right ?

HI Ben,

I dont expect they will be very sensitive to placement. The cabinets are incredibly inert so the backwave is well controlled. The isobark bass exits downwards and horns are controlled dispersion devices by nature. There will be the inevitable experimenting to learn what works best in the room and lots of iterations once I start adding room treatment.

Right, I am just off the phone from a chat with the Lenard boys and are about to do final pre flight checks and then its power up time :)

• Like 3

They are real beauties. If they sound half as good as they look they'll be stunners :love:.

• Like 1

I have been enthralled all afternoon. They sound beyond any words I can use to describe the experience. Absolutely incredible peice of engineering and to my amazement, they sound even better than the several times I heard the prototypes in Oz!

It is going to take me several months to get to grips with them and tweak the Eq/positioning. Once I feel I have honed my ability to assess small changes it will then be time to start introducing some room treatments but it has to be said, the room seems to be invisible. The soundstage width and depth are boundless.

John and Paul at Lenard Audio are electro-acoustic engineering geniuses, the Symphonys compact form and innovative design belies their briliance.

• Like 3

I look forward to seeing & hearing these at Keggy in October. 

:sofa:

• Haha 2

I am not so sure about that now Lurch. My original intention was to show them but I am not sure I can deal with the handling and moving of them and risking damaging the finish. Having an occassional GTG with a few wammers would probably be better and they will sound their best too.

Awesome .....after seeing your vids of them in  .oz .......now they are here you must be in heaven ...:rockin:

• Like 1

A pic showing the TAD 703's mounted in place. I will get some better pics once I have peeled off the protective wrapping on the sides and the light is right. (and the room is not a pigsty). The lighting in my room makes it difficult to get pics with good dynamic range.

437491943_IMG_20210612_162814(Large).thumb.jpg.53e0f5d2294d87f2d0d0e1879eb67e57.jpg

4 hours ago, Mondie said:

I have been enthralled all afternoon. They sound beyond any words I can use to describe the experience. Absolutely incredible peice of engineering and to my amazement, they sound even better than the several times I heard the prototypes in Oz!

It is going to take me several months to get to grips with them and tweak the Eq/positioning. Once I feel I have honed my ability to assess small changes it will then be time to start introducing some room treatments but it has to be said, the room seems to be invisible. The soundstage width and depth are boundless.

John and Paul at Lenard Audio are electro-acoustic engineering geniuses, the Symphonys compact form and innovative design belies their briliance.

G'day Simon, John and i are so happy the Symphonies made it all the way from Gippsland Australia to the UK, dry and intact! After all the setbacks of the last couple of years it is pure relief to know you are finally listening to them in your home.