Mondie's speaker endgame: Lenard Audio 4-way active, high efficiency horn system development

Mondie

On 13/06/2021 at 00:20, Los said:

G'day Simon, John and i are so happy the Symphonies made it all the way from Gippsland Australia to the UK, dry and intact! After all the setbacks of the last couple of years it is pure relief to know you are finally listening to them in your home.  

Great to see you on the Wam, Paul. The Symphonys are an amazing technical achievement and I am astonished at their capabilities. The long wait was always going to be worth it, I just wasnt prepared for something so extraordinary to result from this project we started nearly four years ago now.

You have created a truly innovative compact true full range system that deserves wider recognition in audio circles.

I cannot thank you and John enough for what you have delivered! The Symphony is not only endgame, but opens up a whole new game that I didn't even know existed.

• Like 2

IMG_20210617_175809

I finally found the time today to peel off the protective plastic covering the polished stainless steel cabinets and tidy up the small bits of plastic stuck in the corners from when I first unwrapped the baffles last week. The idea of the polished steel is to make the speakers blend into their environment and disappear, well as much as having a pair of fridges in your living room can. I think it is a fantastic bit of design and is really effective. These are about the best pics I could manage today. I need to get serious about sorting the room, speakers that act as mirrors just make it look even more shambolic!

After a week or playing around with positioning, I think I am there for now. They are remarkably unfussed by placement. Once I start hanging some treatments some further tweaking will be required.

IMG_20210617_180435 (Large)
IMG_20210617_183837 (Large)
IMG_20210617_183518 (Large)
IMG_20210617_183243 (Large)

IMG_20210617_184013 (Large)

IMG_20210617_201945 (Large)
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

The reflective surface does a great job of disguising some of the bulk , as well as being interesting and different. Nice choice, reminds me of this from the artist Mark Wallinger;

3CE4EAAC-1156-4ED2-89F0-CB247915EDFD.png.a528e306ba6cc28b1bb3c0d6690fe76a.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mondie said:
IMG_20210617_175809

I finally found the time today to peel off the protective plastic covering the polished stainless steel cabinets and tidy up the small bits of plastic stuck in the corners from when I first unwrapped the baffles last week. The idea of the polished steel is to make the speakers blend into their environment and disappear, well as much as having a pair of fridges in your living room can. I think it is a fantastic bit of design and is really effective. These are about the best pics I could manage today. I need to get serious about sorting the room, speakers that act as mirrors just make it look even more shambolic!

After a week or playing around with positioning, I think I am there for now. They are remarkably unfussed by placement. Once I start hanging some treatments some further tweaking will be required.

IMG_20210617_180435 (Large)
IMG_20210617_183837 (Large)
IMG_20210617_183518 (Large)
IMG_20210617_183243 (Large)

IMG_20210617_184013 (Large)

IMG_20210617_201945 (Large)

Wow...they look gorgeous in that modern finish :)

• Like 1

Wow what a project and there's some really fantastic thinking gone into these, they adopt a hell of a lot of engineering sense in my view, I'd never heard of the maker so will research articles more by them.

I guess that the use of the very high efficiency mid/bass unit simplifies many of the issues normally found in a full horn system operating into these frequencies, a great way to obtain some domestic acceptability.   

• Like 1

Yes, very true Diceman. Unless you have heard high efficiency systems, 15" cones, compression drivers, active systems etc you dont really have a reference point upon which to relate to the Symphonys innovative design and superb capabilities. If you are interested in understanding more about the man who designed them, he has a great reference website on acoustic engineering here.

http://education.lenardaudio.com/