QNAP TS210t NAS - Soon to be obsolete, advice needed

Hi, hoping someone can help? I have currently the above NAS which has worked fine in holding my musical collection and streaming to my Linn DS. As from October, QNAP won't be supporting firmware upgrades, so the writing's on the wall for its age presumably? So rather than splash cash on another with features I wasn't interested in, I thought about getting a dedicated storage unit built with CD ripping ability and access required via laptop to sort & tag etc.

Presume it must have some form of windows etc and Minimserver upnp for this to still perform like my Nas? My knowledge is limited and therefore ask what else? I will want to put my streamer and new unit on separate subnet but with access to the internet. Is this possible without spending silly money?

Thanks... Ade

Given that the lions share of your ripping is likely already done, I'd question the need for a highly automated ripping solution such as Vortex Box etc. 

For my money I would always favour using summat with less automation. Due to the likelihood of annoying metadata errors here & there & missing artwork etc. Carefully checking everything at this point when the metadata has been retrieved from whatever sources & making amendments at this point, is one of the best long term time savers there is for streaming IME.

Paying for DBpoweramp if you don't already have it & getting a replacement  but higher spec CPU  & RAM NAS box would get my vote for a solution offering longer term support.

Edited by vacdac
2 minutes ago, vacdac said:

Given that the lions share of your ripping is likely already done, I'd question the need for a highly automated ripping solution such as Vortex Box etc. 

For my money I would always favour using summat with less automation, due to the likelihood of annoying metadata errors here & there & missing artwork etc. Carefully checking everything at this point when the metadata has been retrieved from whatever sources & making amendments at this point, is one of the best long term time savers there is for streaming IME.

This is especially true for classical music where I pretty much have to create my own tags, and it's a lot easier to do it before the rip than after.

Even for more mainstream music, tagging needs checking as track titles often have spelling errors, and as to genres, I use 8 genres, the data bases can have hundreds, so how can that be helpful?  

I use iTunes as a ripper as it makes it easy to edit the track titles before ripping, and I've found the data base they use to be better than some others that get things wrong a lot more often. 

S    

50 minutes ago, vacdac said:

Not after automated solution, no, no, no - About halfway done with ripping

Paying for DBpoweramp if you don't already have it & getting a replacement  but higher spec CPU  & RAM NAS box would get my vote for a solution offering longer term support.

Already have DBpoweramp, wanted higher spec cpu yes but not necessarily another Nas. Looking to custom build what I required rather than purchase off the shelf...

• 2 weeks later...

Is the NAS connected to the outside world as if it isn't then lack of firmware support may not be a problem? If you run it locally then security patches aren't such an issue as you control who is on your local network so the risk of it getting hacked it due to an unfixed OS patch is low. If the NAS works and has no glitches then there is no need to stop using it until the disks fail and even then you maybe able to replace just the disks.

• Like 1

Thanks for this. Hadn't thought of it this way. What you are basically saying then is firmware upgrades are largely security based and any software improvements are largely negated for me as I hardly use the NAS's capabilities apart from streaming...?
To log in and move files either way from NAS to pc can still be done via a subnet and on the local network? Or will this cause issues as presently the log in page is via a 192.168 etc & google chrome is needed to pass large files across.
Probably needed currently as can't map my drives. Network access denied.
I believe it's a win 10 issue with certificates, rights access etc!
Any further help always appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A TS251+ is little over £300 and gives you peace of mind for a good while into the future. It even has the power and versatility to be able to add ripping capability if you want. Of course you don't have to replace what you have. It'll keep on working until it dies a natural death.

18 hours ago, parcelmonkey said:

What you are basically saying then is firmware upgrades are largely security based and any software improvements are largely negated for me as I hardly use the NAS's capabilities apart from streaming...?
To log in and move files either way from NAS to pc can still be done via a subnet and on the local network? Or will this cause issues as presently the log in page is via a 192.168 etc & google chrome is needed to pass large files across.
Probably needed currently as can't map my drives. Network access denied.
I believe it's a win 10 issue with certificates, rights access etc!

I was saying that if the machine works then you don't need to perform any firmware upgrades.

The login page is probably via http and you connect to the IP address assigned by your router to the NAS which is probably 192.168.1.xxx

You shouldn't need to use Chrome to copy over a file.

On Windows you should just be able to do something like \\NASNAME\music etc to get a window up to copy files to it.

You seem to imply that you cannot do that with Windows 10. Did you upgrade your computer to Windows 10 or buy a new machine. There is more than one way to get a NAS to present itself as a network map-able drive. Is your streamer still able to see the files? Presumably you used to be able to copy files on to the NAS. When did it stop working and what changed?

The NAS is administered via web pages and the security certification of those pages are expired. So W10 will fire up a warning every time you access for admin purposes I suspect.

23 hours ago, MrSammy said:

I was saying that if the machine works then you don't need to perform any firmware upgrades.

The login page is probably via http and you connect to the IP address assigned by your router to the NAS which is probably 192.168.1.xxx

You shouldn't need to use Chrome to copy over a file.

On Windows you should just be able to do something like \\NASNAME\music etc to get a window up to copy files to it.

You seem to imply that you cannot do that with Windows 10. Did you upgrade your computer to Windows 10 or buy a new machine. There is more than one way to get a NAS to present itself as a network map-able drive. Is your streamer still able to see the files? Presumably you used to be able to copy files on to the NAS. When did it stop working and what changed?

I can access Nas through QNap's login page as long as I am connected through LAN. I believe it started with the change from Virgin to Vodaphone and subsequently Origin BB as they deny wireless access. I am in the process of getting help to sort out a better network setup.

Chrome is needed to allow transfer of large files from Nas to Win 10 machine. States this on Qnap's pages. Might be something new as never had to do this previously?

I have tried to refresh Credentials Manager and change all passwords in Windows laptop but nothing seems to work...

At least Linn DS can see folder where Miminserver is located and I can stream music. Just a pain with ripping CD's and transferring files across. Thanks for input...:^

There's no way you should have to use chrome, have you got network discovery switched on in windows explorer? Can you see the shares under 'network'?

1 hour ago, bigfool1956 said:

There's no way you should have to use chrome, have you got network discovery switched on in windows explorer? Can you see the shares under 'network'?

Nope you're right, don't have to use chrome but all transfers are then via zip files? Before when my system worked fine I had mapped drives and just drag and dropped files between both pc & nas. Weird how I can't now since laptop upgraded to win 10. Network discovery is on and I can see nas under 'network' as well as Twonky & Minimserver. Twonky is set to show just video files...

When I click on nas it just takes me to login page via http. Not sure what else to say? :(

Have a look at this thread, it has some suggestions that may help you:

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=112857

• 3 months later...

Just posting here to firstly pat myself on the back and also in case others have had similar issues it might be helpful?

What a bitch networks can be! I've had connection issues with my ISP and after nearly a week, we are finally back online, no internet access since last Wednesday afternoon.

Now with a different router and bizarrely once connected online I discovered Minimserver wouldn't show any albums I had listed on it's dedicated directory through Kazoo control point. All was definitely working as normal as the Linn DS would play radio and I could load up Minimservers webpage, however, no matter what I did, it kept waiting for room in Kazoo control point and would not connect to albums listed on my Nas directory. Hours of frustration ensued until finally a resolve.

I had to go back in to NAS and find Minimservers log files, which were saved on a public share folder. Stopping Minimserver on the NAS temporarily whilst I deleted all log files and then restarting it allowed it to rebuild the database and finally once I had loaded Kazoo, success.

I feel great I was able to find a resolve and I also went back through all folders I wanted to access via my laptop and now have altered share protocols so I can now access folders via mapped drives. No more uploading via Chrome browser.

One happy monkey, back to listening to music again. I didn't realise how much I liked having access to the internet; the Dark Ages are not for me I guess! :D

I've just completed a move of around 2.4Tb and then a backup to off site USB hard drive from a Synology NAS - could you explain a bit more about mapping drives and if this will help smooth the process of adding more music to the NAS please? I don't want to go through all of that again in this lifetime!

Dragging and dropping between browser windows takes an age.