Baggawire

New Jazz Releases For Your Consideration

l

CS659168-01A-MED.jpgCS649914-01A-MED.jpgCS661277-01A-MED.jpg

Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference EP           Vels Trio - Yellow Ochre EP

CS660959-01A-MED.jpgCS663054-01A-MED.jpgCS657011-01A-MED.jpg

I shall try a few of these. Cheers.

Excellent new compilation. Would've been called acid jazz back in the day                                         

CS654744-01A-MED.jpg

b side of newly released 12" - rare long version of jazz funk classic. One of my favourites.

CS659370-01B-MED.jpg

10 minutes ago, Baggawire said:

Excellent new compilation. Would've been called acid jazz back in the day                                         

CS654744-01A-MED.jpg

b side of newly released 12" - rare long version of jazz funk classic. One of my favourites.

CS659370-01B-MED.jpg

Cheers for the heads up Ian, looks like a decent compilation. Mr Beadle clearly has very good taste! His 'The Best Of inner City Records' comp was a blinder. Have the tracks on this new one been mastered with care? I suspect they probably have given that it is on the BBE label; all their recent releases have been pretty good ime. DJ and audiophile Sean P seems to do a lot of their mastering.

15 minutes ago, marlew said:

Cheers for the heads up Ian, looks like a decent compilation. Mr Beadle clearly has very good taste! His 'The Best Of inner City Records' comp was a blinder. Have the tracks on this new one been mastered with care? I suspect they probably have given that it is on the BBE label; all their recent releases have been pretty good ime. DJ and audiophile Sean P seems to do a lot of their mastering.

Thanks for the heads up on the BBE label - that's this months record budget spent :)

Just now, foxbat said:

Thanks for the heads up on the BBE label - that's this months record budget spent :)

No problem. Some of their early releases can be a bit hit and miss in terms of recording/mastering quality but the recent ones have been pretty darn good ime. Decent independent label.

Super Wammer

Great thread, thank you. 

After I stop listening to this very happy accident* I'll start with the new Tony Allen that's getting all the good reviews..

* Spotify 'radio' - search for Album Radio Tempo Dos Mestres

I will work out how to copy and paste a link to such stuff later on..,

Mastering and pressing are excellent on the Kev Beadle compilation so buy with confidence. 

Anything that has Sean P associated with it is guaranteed quality both in terms of the music itself and the mastering. I know this is a jazz thread but his disco/boogie compilations with Joey Negro (Dave Lee) are excellent if that's your thing.

The Yazz Ahmed album is excellent. Deep jazz with middle eastern influences. Hardly surprising given her Bahraini roots.  Sounds very Yussef Lateef in places. Great cover art too on an embossed sleeve with the artist/designer as well as the recording engineer getting their own album credits along with the musicians. 

Looking forward to seeing her live next month in London.

The Strata East label is having a bit of a re-press resurgence at the moment. The first two have recently been released on the excellent Superfly Records label from Japan. Old school paste on cardboard sleeves and excellent mastering/pressing quality.

CS655511-01A-MED.jpg  CS655513-01A-MED.jpg

These next two are courtesy of the always excellent Pure Pleasure label on 180g vinyl.

CS660573-01A-MED.jpg  CS665212-01A-MED.jpg

Billy Parker's Fourth World contains the classic "Get Wit It" which was a Dingwall's favourite of Gilles Peterson but all four are excellent examples of the deep, spiritual jazz that was the hallmark of Strata East's early 1970s output.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 18:47, Baggawire said:

The Strata East label is having a bit of a re-press resurgence at the moment. The first two have recently been released on the excellent Superfly Records label from Japan. Old school paste on cardboard sleeves and excellent mastering/pressing quality.

CS655511-01A-MED.jpg  

Just arrived today :D and it's great from the excellent Mr Bongo website and this as well which is just glorious

RUBY-RUSHTON-TWO-FOR-JOY-FRONT-sq_grande

If there are any lovers of the funky, guitar-led jazz a la Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jones out there then get this. Released as part of RSD 2018 but still plenty of copies around.

61aG5OJe-9L.jpg

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Sons Of Kemet - Your Queen Is  A Reptile

bit frantic noodly for me early on, but the later half I love, especially 'My Queen Is Doreen Lawrence' (I wish she was..)

Sons_of_Kemet_-_Your_Queen_is_a_Reptile.

A couple of corkers coming out in the near future from the excellent Be With label so you can be sure mastering and pressing quality will be top notch.

Kimiko_front_cover_with_obi_1024x1024.jp

Recorded in Tokyo in 1979 by Herbie Hancock and an all-star band. This LP, only ever released in Japan, contains some excellent cover versions of Herbie's own previous compositions with Ms Kasai on vocal duties. My personal faves - "I Thought It Was You" and" Butterfly".

Deirdre_Wilson_Tabac_1024x1024.jpg?v=152

More a mix of funky folk and rocky jazz so this release may have a far wider appeal than just the jazz heads. I included it in this thread because it contains the sublime "I Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes" - one of my all time favourites.

Edited by Baggawire
Spelling
  • Like 1