New Jazz Releases For Your Consideration

Baggawire

Coming soon on Pure Pleasure - which is usually a guarantee of excellent mastering and pressing quality - is this masterpiece of the "spiritual jazz" sound. Contains the epic "Prince of Peace".

Image result for izipho zam (my gifts)

Review here https://www.allmusic.com/album/izipho-zam-mw0000601177 for those interested.

• Like 1

Ultra-talented pianist Ashley Henry released his debut 2LP today. If you liked his Ashley Henry's 5ive and Easter EPs then you'll love this.

Image result for ashley henry beautiful vinyl hunter

On 24/01/2019 at 21:18, Baggawire said:

Release schedule is up and running after Christmas and the New Year.

First up is this very limited pressing of one of the finest LPs ever released on the Strata East label. If you have even a passing interest in jazz then buy this and impress your less hip friends. 

Image result for clifford jordan

The track titled ‘John Coltrane’ is a homage, maybe even a greatest bits pastiche of the man’s music, but has to be one of the most downright enjoyable 5 minutes in the whole Jazz canon. The motif, the build and release, the chanting! - fantastic track.

Edited by lostwin
Typo
  • Like 1

A couple of newly released jazz nuggets worthy of your hard earned.

BBE's Volume 2 compilation of Japanese jazz. Will be in my top 3 compilation albums of the year for sure.

Click to view larger image

Following his homage to King Tubby era reggae with the excellent "Sounds Almighty" Nat Birchall returns to his jazz roots with this musical tribute to Yusuf Lateef. 

Click to view larger image

• 3 months later...

My favourite new jazz releases from 2019 in no particular order:-

1. Polyhymnia - Yazz Ahmed

2. Driftglass - Seed Ensemble

3. Ironside - Ruby Rushton

4. State of Flow - Ishmael Ensemble

5. Blume - Nerija

6. Fyah - Theon Cross

7. Abstractions of Realities Past and Incredible Feathers - Binker Golding

8. The Storyteller - Nat Birchall Quartet

9. Be Known Ancient/Future/Music - Ethnic Heritage Ensemble

10. Bedroom Tapes - Ebi Soda

Reissues of the year:-

1. Glass Bead Games - Clifford Jordan Quartet

2. Charles Tolliver and His All Stars

3. Spirits Known and Unknown - Leon Thomas

4. Live at I.U.C.C. - Horace Tapscott

5. Cat - Hiroshi Suzuki

Compilation of the Year

J Jazz: Deep Modern Jazz from Japan 1969 - 1983 Volume 2

Honourable Mention 

Blue Note "Tone Poet" series. Brilliant sound quality and packaging.

• 5 months later...

"Peace Treaty" by Nathan Davis was originally recorded in Paris in 1965 and cut for the tiny SFP label. It's a high quality mixture of soul jazz and modal styles and French label Sam Records has just re-released it. Remastered from the original stereo master tapes and pressed on 180gm vinyl by Pallas in Germany this is one of finest sounding jazz (or any other for that matter) LPs I own - the sound quality is insanely good. A limited run of 2000 so don't hang about of you want one. 

Nathan-Davis-510x510.jpg

• 7 months later...

Good news for lovers of Blue Note jazz on vinyl like me. The beautifully packaged and sounding "Tone Poet" all analogue remaster series is continuing into 2021 and 2022. Release schedule here: http://www.bluenote.com/2021-2022-tone-poet-vinyl-series-line-up/

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

If you're not averse to 7" singles then the Wallen Bink label in association with Saba/MPS has just released a series of four limited edition "audiophile" 45s all analogue mastered at Abbey Road Studios and pressed at Pallas Group, Germany. Sound quality is excellent as are the pressings. A bit on the expensive side but I'm such a sucker for stuff like this.

DAVE PIKE SET, The - MatharDAUNER, Wolfgang - Sun Is Rising

ALEXANDER, Monty feat ERNEST RANGLIN - Love & HappinessDUKE, George - My Soul

Posted (edited)

Have only just found this thread...(its an age thing)  Sure I will find some new & interesting stuff to listen to.

Should mention that if the "out there" folk are interested, that there are 2 Newish Sun Ra releases that imo are of his best remastered efforts. Done with real care.  I like the  Exotica album the best & there is also one called The Space Age Is Here To Stay which focuses on mainly vocal cuts featuring June Tyson.  The artwork is great on both Lps reminding me of the early sci-fi mags.  Marvellous.    :)

R-11568510-1518800896-2629.jpeg.jpg

R-9132928-1475339507-8548.jpeg.jpg

Edited by garn63

13 hours ago, garn63 said:

Have only just found this thread...(its an age thing)  Sure I will find some new & interesting stuff to listen to.

Should mention that if the "out there" folk are interested, that there are 2 Newish Sun Ra releases that imo are of his best remastered efforts. Done with real care.  I like the  Exotica album the best & there is also one called The Space Age Is Here To Stay which focuses on mainly vocal cuts featuring June Tyson.  The artwork is great on both Lps reminding me of the early sci-fi mags.  Marvellous.    :)

And also this "deluxe" 4 LP box set re-release of Lanquidity on the Strut label and probably one of the more accessible examples of Sun Ra's oeuvre.

Sun Ra – Lanquidity (Deluxe Edition) | Sounds of the Universe

Your right there, cos if folks ask about Sun Ra or I recommend him to someone, I point them to Lanquidity first & maybe the mixed compo by the DJ I cant remember right now  :)  I will certainly be checking out Idris Ackamoor.  M.

1 minute ago, garn63 said:

Your right there, cos if folks ask about Sun Ra or I recommend him to someone, I point them to Lanquidity first & maybe the mixed compo by the DJ I cant remember right now  :)  I will certainly be checking out Idris Ackamoor.  M.

That'll be the Gilles Peterson compilation from 2017 and there was a similar Marshall Allen one from 2014 both on Strut.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not music related but the fashionable amongst you (I know there aren't many but anyhoo 😋) may be interested to know that Uniqlo are selling a rather stylish range of "Blue Note" inspired t-shirts for the princely sum of £12.90 each.

4 hours ago, Baggawire said:

Not music related but the fashionable amongst you (I know there aren't many but anyhoo 😋) may be interested to know that Uniqlo are selling a rather stylish range of "Blue Note" inspired t-shirts for the princely sum of £12.90 each.

Had a look but unfortunately you have to be very small or very big to buy one  :|