Sign in to follow this  
parcelmonkey

ROYAL ALBERT HALL - Advice Please!

Hello and hoping for advice on the above venue. I have just discovered a favourite band of mine (Gomez) is playing an anniversary gig celebrating 20 years of Bring It On. I was wondering what the venue is like for sound, seating plans, preferred place to be when watching the show [stalls, circle etc] and whether it's a good atmosphere where people get up and move to the music or a bit reserved and staid?

Anyone with experiences and proferring's greatly appreciated... :^

Thanks in advance. Ade (Parcelmonkey)

The acoustics can be challenging depending on where you are - they have added various bits of acoustic treatment to improve it but it is far from perfect. Not too bad if you are reasonably square on to the stage and not too high up. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I saw Mike Oldfield there for three nights of his Tubular Bells II tour in April 93 and the acoustics and views were just fine. Can't comment on people getting up and grooving bit, the only time I've seen Oldfield live where the audience has got up and got involved was for encore of Tubular Bells III at Horseguards Parade, and I'm sure that was mainly due to the incessant rain and a chance to get close to the stage which was undercover... but I digress :) 

Edited by orbscure

The acoustics can be challenging depending on where you are - they have added various bits of acoustic treatment to improve it but it is far from perfect. Not too bad if you are reasonably square on to the stage and not too high up. 
Thank you. I am hoping to obtain tickets lower down the tiers as I have always done so for the O2, my only problem is tickets go on sale when I am away from any internet unfortunately on Friday. It's a toss up between this venue and one in Brighton.

The last couple of years atmospheres and audience participation has changed. Everyone at these large venues seem to stay seated filming it on their phones? Very strange!
I prefer smaller more intimate venues but really want to catch Gomez...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've been twice, first time at the front of the circle, the second time I had the back seat in a box and even there the sound was fine. Don't remember anyone getting up for either gig.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I saw one concert there 4-5 years ago and was sitting off centre up in the gods: the sound was terrible... not sure if this helps! Sorry.

Been to RAH a few times. Classical and rock (Clapton no less!). All within the last five years.

I'd say first thing is to avoid the pit unless you're there for the Proms. You will almost certainly see the back of someone's head and not the band!

Second, it's not a get out your seat place. Some of the loggia boxes do boogie but they are often private parties.

Third, ideally you want to be in a "lemon segment" wedge in front of the stage - not too far to the side. not too high. To be fair you can still enjoy a concert from the gods at the side of the stage (one EC concert) but if you have the choice...

Acoustic wise, it's not a bad venue. As ever in larger halls, the sound guy is king!

• Like 1

Probably been to the hall on 30+ occasions and as long as you are in the arena, the stalls or the Loggia boxes the sound will be great, above that you can have problems. Check out the seating plan at

https://www.royalalberthall.com/your-visit/venue-and-seating-plan/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wizmax said:

Probably been to the hall on 30+ occasions and as long as you are in the arena, the stalls or the Loggia boxes the sound will be great, above that you can have problems. Check out the seating plan at

https://www.royalalberthall.com/your-visit/venue-and-seating-plan/

I agree and try and be square on to the stage.  We have been about 5 or 6 times and have had  the best combination of sound/view from the Loggia boxes.  It isn't anyplace that typically encourages people to get up though.  Last time we went we were in Rausing Circle, at the side, and the view was ok'ish sound was odd though.  We like going as it, is a bit of an experience, but always come away feeling it wasn't loud enough.

Edited by gintonic

The sound gets "boomy" above the box levels there as others have said.

One other thing maybe worth mentioning. On a recent visit I had a ticket for a restricted legroom seat and being over 6ft it really is cramped (I was expecting that so made sure it was end of row).

Thanks everyone for your input. As I won't be in a position to buy tickets until late in the day tomorrow, I'll hope for the best and not be disappointed if I don't get them; as I thought the R.A.H was going to be something special but it sounds a bit meh!

There's always the Brighton venue... Cheers :^

The 

1 hour ago, parcelmonkey said:

Thanks everyone for your input. As I won't be in a position to buy tickets until late in the day tomorrow, I'll hope for the best and not be disappointed if I don't get them; as I thought the R.A.H was going to be something special but it sounds a bit meh!

There's always the Brighton venue... Cheers :^

The RAH is a very special building but at 146 years old it is being used in ways the original architect could never have dreamt of and so parts of it are not as good acoustically as others. As I say, I have been many times and always look forward to going back as it has a unique ambience.

1 minute ago, wizmax said:

The 

The RAH is a very special building but at 146 years old it is being used in ways the original architect could never have dreamt of and so parts of it are not as good acoustically as others. As I say, I have been many times and always look forward to going back as it has a unique ambience.

Of course I understand and also would love to experience the ambience of the historical building, especially with a favourite since their birth band (Gomez) & maybe dress a little smarter etc for the occassion but surely at the prices the venue charge for 'Friends' of RAH they could at least stick a few more egg  boxes around the ceilings? :doh:

I've enjoyed many very good performances at the Old Albert, but I would personally never go for any of the higher floors. The acoustics aren't that bad, but you need a telescope to see the performers. It's a great venue, and access and parking is surprisingly easy. After 6pm, the parking meters right opposite in Prince Consort Road no longer apply, but they can fill up. Get there about 5, pay for an hour's parking and you're there all night. There is parking available from the AH website very close as well.

A great venue, but it suffers from its age a little. Bar facilities are good, but you can spend a week looking for a toilet and then another week in the queue.

Edited by rabski

3 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

Of course I understand and also would love to experience the ambience of the historical building, especially with a favourite since their birth band (Gomez) & maybe dress a little smarter etc for the occassion but surely at the prices the venue charge for 'Friends' of RAH they could at least stick a few more egg  boxes around the ceilings? :doh:

The Royal Albert Hall does not have egg boxes, they have flying mushrooms as you will find if you go, which I highly recommend you do if you get a chance