Do you trust magazine reviews

slavedata

4 hours ago, DomT said:

As I have been saying for a long time Keith does not practice what he preaches here when it comes to his business

In fairness, his position is clear. I just enjoy pointing out that, while he doesn't mind spamming WAM threads with ASR links, he is a lot less keen to expose his potential 'real world' customers to the ASR stormtroopers. I'm not criticising this rare moment of pragmatism, though.

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, savvypaul said:

In fairness, his position is clear. I just enjoy pointing out that, while he doesn't mind spamming WAM threads with ASR links, he is a lot less keen to expose his potential 'real world' customers to the ASR stormtroopers. I'm not criticising this rare moment of pragmatism, though.

On the contrary I would very much welcome listeners learning more about their hobby.

Keith

Just now, PuritéAudio said:

On the contrary I would very much welcome listeners learning more about their hobby.

Keith

I don't have a problem with your stance on assessing hi-fi equipment, other than that I believe there is a lot more to it than just the measurements. I'm less forgiving about the way you go about 'marketing' your stance, though.

PS. You are still advertising ATC and Mola Mola. Thought you had stopped stocking them?

Super Dealer

We are discussing electronic components governed by the laws of physics, belief doesn’t come into it.

Yes I must update my site.

Keith

15 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

We are discussing electronic components governed by the laws of physics, belief doesn’t come into it.

Yes I must update my site.

Keith

And yet you believe in certain 'facts' that others say are not facts but beliefs.

Super Dealer

Which ‘facts’?

Keith

I am always wary of HiFi Dealers posts on HiFi Forums because no matter how they appear to engage the expressive common denominator will always be pushing their products to the front for all to read.  Puritee Audio do this, recently the Dutch & Dutch active system and Rick of Musicraft does this with such utter boldness.  Most of the people on HiFi Forums are genuine in their hobbies and sometimes do not realize in their pursuit that they are being in a way played by the dealers.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I am always wary of HiFi Dealers posts on HiFi Forums because no matter how they appear to engage the expressive common denominator will always be pushing their products to the front for all to read.  Puritee Audio do this, recently the Dutch & Dutch active system and Rick of Musicraft does this with such utter boldness.  Most of the people on HiFi Forums are genuine in their hobbies and sometimes do not realize in their pursuit that they are being in a way played by the dealers.

Luckily there are enough knowledgeable people on here to help give a more balanced view. Shame it’s needed though as it doesn’t appear to be necessary 

Speaking of manufacturers, some of the best customer relations come from those that sell kits. Amplifier kits like Nelson Pass and Bottlehead, and many loudspeaker kit companies. They are obliged to give completely correct data, instructions and specifications for those that will be building kits, and usually have customer forums and other kinds of useful feedback to deal with queries. An island of honesty in a world of spin. 

• Like 1

Whilst ideally it would be awesome if we all lived near a well established dealer that could provide the time and attention to enable you to make a well informed decision based on personal preference and experience, the reality is that this is often beyond the time/distance that some can practically accommodate - hence magazine reviews become a proxy.

That said given localised reviews will be biased to in-region or well established global brands it can lead you to ignoring some excellent kit from elsewhere. Hence if you are going to rely on the magazines, sometimes its worth finding the German, Swiss or Italian equivalent and use Google translate or other to checkout their reviews too... sometimes it introduces you to new stuff you otherwise would not know about. Then again, people will buy what they know and what’s popular, therefore it leaves some bargains for the rest of us if you are prepared to entertain the lesser brands (e.g. if you can look above the Naim, Cyrus, Musical Fidelity’s etc of the world, you can sometimes find great deals on Primare, Trigon, Piega etc...).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No!