Polarbear

Time to move on?

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, rv295 said:

You can lead a bear to water....

It just depends on who the bear is . . . . . . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

It just depends on who the bear is . . . . . . . .

I always thought Bears drink piss but apparently...

confession-bear-grylls.jpg?w=300&h=291

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 12/25/2017 at 10:45, PuritéAudio said:

Acoustically measure your room and discover exactly what you are hearing.

Keith

I know what I am hearing Keith, why would i need a machine to tell me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

I thought you wanted to improve the quality of your playback, obviously I have misunderstood.

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

I thought you wanted to improve the quality of your playback, obviously I have misunderstood.

Keith

You do realise, don't you,  that our ears are exquisitely more sensitive than the finest measuring instruments. If you want to know what something sound like, ask an audiophile, and forget all that scientific stuff. Isaac Newton didn't have measuring microphones did he? Did Robert Boyle measure his amplifiers? No of course not.

S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SergeAuckland said:

You do realise, don't you,  that our ears are exquisitely more sensitive than the finest measuring instruments. If you want to know what something sound like, ask an audiophile, and forget all that scientific stuff. Isaac Newton didn't have measuring microphones did he? Did Robert Boyle measure his amplifiers? No of course not.

S

Serge, can I borrow your ears?  
What kind of logging system do they utilise and it is possible to produce accurate graphs that I can trust?  Will they cover the full range of my tweeters or does that not matter one bit if 'you' can't hear it?  I'd also like an unbiased reference please, one that doesn't change from day to day, is that possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rv295 said:

Serge, can I borrow your ears?  
What kind of logging system do they utilise and it is possible to produce accurate graphs that I can trust?  Will they cover the full range of my tweeters or does that not matter one bit if 'you' can't hear it?  I'd also like an unbiased reference please, one that doesn't change from day to day, is that possible?

Sorry, no. They're very precious, and I've looked after them for many years, so won't let them out of my sight. I know you'll probably  look after them properly, but I can't take the risk they might be subjected to abuse like having to listen to rappers and brass bands. 

You're welcome to bring your system (and not forgetting your room) over here, and I'll listen for you.

S

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SergeAuckland said:

Sorry, no. They're very precious, and I've looked after them for many years, so won't let them out of my sight. I know you'll probably  look after them properly, but I can't take the risk they might be subjected to abuse like having to listen to rappers and brass bands. 

You're welcome to bring your system (and not forgetting your room) over here, and I'll listen for you.

S

Thanks Serge, That would be fantastic... up until I got the Linn dsp, I've had real trouble accurately measuring the phase down to the lowest frequencies, I presume that would be no problem for such a magnificent pair of measuring instruments. 

Back to the real world... I'd take a mic reading over any audiophile's impression of my system, and I mean any. Even those with golden ears.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 12/22/2017 at 21:09, Polarbear said:

I had the pleasure of the Alnico's here when they first came out Uzzy. They are a beautiful pair of speakers, so natural sounding and as you say, they integrate perfectly. For most, they are better than the Deco 's but for me, I prefer a more rawer sound than the Alnico's can provide. That was also the downfall of the ATC 150's.

You are also right about the SEAS tweeter,  it draws attention to itself at the cost of the background information and thats what I am looking to improve on.

If the Deccos do it in all other areas just get the diamond tweeter fitted .. as for rawer sound .. if you want raw then you are not methinks looking for accuracy and are trying to put something back that isn't there or missing.  If you like raw then try big JBLs or PMCs with Bryston Amps.  You would have loved the old Profile Model 11 from the 70s and eary 80s they had a raw edge to them (probably due to the plastic dome of the SEAS unit it used).  Whilst I think the Crescendo Tweeter draws attention to itself that is the mildest criticism as the Deccos are to my ears one of the best loudspeakers you can buy and with the diamond tweeters fitted are god's son with the reference alnico being God :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I can intervene and being reasonably familiar with PB’s system it,s hard to imagine how to improve.    Having heard Bryston amps with the biggest PMCs I can’t see that being a solution.   Actually I don’t think PB wants “raw” but I do think he wants involvement and I think the answer might be Titan 808s with a DR upgrade to the amps.    

Edited by The Strat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
23 hours ago, The Strat said:

If I can intervene and being reasonably familiar with PB’s system it,s hard to imagine how to improve.    Having heard Bryston amps with the biggest PMCs I can’t see that being a solution.   Actually I don’t think PB wants “raw” but I do think he wants involvement and I think the answer might be Titan 808s with a DR upgrade to the amps.    

Or possibly a second 500 at some point Lindsay, I like the thought of going active as Serg suggests.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a set of Deco 20 Sigs years ago and still use them as my main speakers. If memory serves there was a factory mod to the mid range driver / crossover so depending if you have mk1s or 2s you could get a cheap upgrade but like others have said give the Dunlops a bell and see what they advise. Just watch you don't make a sideways move because the grass is not always greener.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Yes, I had the midrange unit changed when the improved unit came along.

I hear what you say about a sidewards move, I will only change for something the wife and I agree is an upgrade.  Talking of which has anyone hear heard a pair of Magico speakers on the end of Naim gear?  Rumours are they are very transparent and dynamic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.