Homemade ultrasonic vinyl cleaner

Well I would have done you all a before/after comparison on the sound but my wife has chosen today to try & sabotage the hi fi by destroying the turntable power supply with the hoover.  So that will have to wait.

In the meantime, I cleaned 12 records over a period of about 90-100 minutes and they all look very clean.  I've ended up cleaning two at a time since I found three a little fiddly when trying to get the rod mounted back on the motor.  Still, two is good.  The noise isn't as loud as expected either which pleased the wife.

I think I will invest on getting a connector & house for the outlet tap to make draining a less splashy experience.  I also need more plate stands because I can clean discs before they dry!

But these are minor gripes and I don't even consider them as detractors. This all works really and the whole thing is very secure.  Thanks so much Tim!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Velvet Vortex is happy to sponsor the Uk parabadminton trophy for the Wheelchair 1 category.

Today I have making Velvet Vortex Ultrasonic Record cleaning Machines for those of you out there who have asked me to make one for you. The first has gone out and three of these are spoken for. Al

Here is Parabadminton player Dave Follett winner of the Velvet Vortex Trophy. Very pleased to be involved with such a fantastic event.

Posted Images

The hose connector is 1/2 inch BSP. Easy to find and cheap on eBay.

The knosti record racks are very useful for drying and can be bought on eBay or from Juno records.

Hope that helps

• Like 2

Well I did a few records last week with just water and isopropyl and I learnt the ropes a bit, as well as finding out what I still needed to get best results (a rack and the other ingredients!). So Ilfotol arrived on Tuesday and I finally got the last ingredient today (Triton-x100). In anticipation I finished a made-from-scraps record drying rack last night, and we're go. So far I've done more cleaning than listening to the results, and I have started off with a couple of inches of Canterbury scene rock which it turns out weren't that dirty, but I'm going to get down and dirty soon.DSC_0007_sml.thumb.jpg.0ad3027d7c41bf5088ea052c3df5e984.jpg

• Like 1

@Too Many Recordswhite foam from some packaging. Here's a better view, including the I-don't-give-a-s***-about-it test record! It ain't pretty but it reminds me of the inside of a piano! It evolved rather than being perfectly planned beforehand as I wasn't sure what I could scrape together, but it does the job and holds quite a lot of LPs. I'll make some more tweaks, but it's a start :)

Mind you, I should have just sprung a few quite for something like @Audio Al suggested. I'm just a massive tight-wad, and like an excuse to go to my workshop and play my phone through some old computer speakers of which only one works, all in the name of hifi... Bliss

DSC_0003_sml.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another record rescued by the VV, 'Direct Hits' -The Who.:rockin::notworthy:

• Like 2

'Goodbye' -Cream again rescued.:cool::rockin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I use these for drying racks, they hold 10 and are pretty cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132789607246

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Hap Hazzard said:

I use these for drying racks, they hold 10 and are pretty cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132789607246

I saw those but was a little wary that either there could be hard splinters in the wood or the soggy wood would result in something seeping and damaging the records.

On the plus side:  a 45YO copy of 'Jailbreak' rescued from lots of grime the weekend along with a number of Japanese Ultravox records that were recently gifted to me.  Unfortunately, no mount of cleaning will make the 'U-Vox' album sound decent.....

Edited by Too Many Records
  • Upvote 1