Ear cleaning .

I've found the OTEX stuff is good: http://www.otexear.com/

You put in the liquid over 4 days which softens the wax, then use the small bellows type thing to blast hot water in and remove the wax. In my case it also took out my brain as well but at least I can hear OK now.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

No-one has touched upon the latest treatment which certain private clinics now conduct:  micro-suction.  For me, it was money very well spent and most safe in it's procedure.  

Unlike the highly dangerous procedure I received from the NHS several years ago by a visiting 'operator' of what could best be described as a cheap, nasty, rubbish excuse for a mobile syringe unit, possessed with all the engineering imprecision of a noisy, rattling plastic tyre-inflator, - for it's action pumped and sucked at my eardrum most violently.  As a consequence of this, I became aggressively defensive with the bolshy operator who wouldn't stop until I made myself quite clear, (not my style to behave as such, but my ears are my work and pleasure);  almost going to the point of raising an officially written complaint about what appeared to be incorrect measures being meted-out by inexpert personnel.

A far cry from the NHS procedure I received ten years earlier with an academically qualified professional using high-quality (seemingly more permanent) apparatus, where the process was a most pleasantly warm, gentle rush.

As for syringing ears, such measures, if repeated too often over a given time-frame, can do irreparable damage, - as was the case with my friend, Laurie Bing;  Rayleigh Hi-fi's former branch manager, (now long retired), who completely lost the hearing in one ear through compounded issues related to same.

Conversely, the micro suction process that I received last summer at a London Bridge clinic was safely and carefully procured by an audiologist of medical standing.  

Here's their narrative below:

http://hearologylondonbridge.uk/

Before proceeding with any ear wax or infection removal, our fully trained, senior Audiologists use an ENT surgical microscope to examine the extent of the ear wax/infection problem and to determine the health of both your ears.

If the Audiologist considers it unsafe to proceed with micro suction for any reason, or if the symptoms you are experiencing are not related to ear wax or an ear infection, all your available options will be clearly explained.

If it is safe to proceed, the Audiologist will then begin the removal process using gentle, low pressure suction.

At the end of the procedure, the Audiologist will conduct another full and careful examination of your ear canals to ensure that the wax/infection has been fully removed, and that everything is as it should be.

In the event that it is not possible to remove all the ear wax/infection in a single sitting, we will invite you back for a free, follow-up appointment.

Edited by britishcomposers

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:40, britishcomposers said:

No-one has touched upon the latest treatment which certain private clinics now conduct:  micro-suction.  For me, it was money very well spent and most safe in it's procedure.  

Unlike the highly dangerous procedure I received from the NHS several years ago by a visiting 'operator' of what could best be described as a cheap, nasty, rubbish excuse for a mobile syringe unit, possessed with all the engineering imprecision of a noisy, rattling plastic tyre-inflator, - for it's action pumped and sucked at my eardrum most violently.  As a consequence of this, I became aggressively defensive with the bolshy operator who wouldn't stop until I made myself quite clear, (not my style to behave as such, but my ears are my work and pleasure);  almost going to the point of raising an officially written complaint about what appeared to be incorrect measures being meted-out by inexpert personnel.

A far cry from the NHS procedure I received ten years earlier with an academically qualified professional using high-quality (seemingly more permanent) apparatus, where the process was a most pleasantly warm, gentle rush.

As for syringing ears, such measures, if repeated too often over a given time-frame, can do irreparable damage, - as was the case with my friend, Laurie Bing;  Rayleigh Hi-fi's former branch manager, (now long retired), who completely lost the hearing in one ear through compounded issues related to same.

Conversely, the micro suction process that I received last summer at a London Bridge clinic was safely and carefully procured by an audiologist of medical standing.  

Here's their narrative below:

http://hearologylondonbridge.uk/

Before proceeding with any ear wax or infection removal, our fully trained, senior Audiologists use an ENT surgical microscope to examine the extent of the ear wax/infection problem and to determine the health of both your ears.

If the Audiologist considers it unsafe to proceed with micro suction for any reason, or if the symptoms you are experiencing are not related to ear wax or an ear infection, all your available options will be clearly explained.

If it is safe to proceed, the Audiologist will then begin the removal process using gentle, low pressure suction.

At the end of the procedure, the Audiologist will conduct another full and careful examination of your ear canals to ensure that the wax/infection has been fully removed, and that everything is as it should be.

In the event that it is not possible to remove all the ear wax/infection in a single sitting, we will invite you back for a free, follow-up appointment.

With this treatment do they ask you to 'soften' up the ear wax before you go? This is the bit that annoys me with the NHs as I then for 3-4 days cannot hear at all and as I'm on a phone a lot of the day for work is difficult

37 minutes ago, Barnboy said:

With this treatment do they ask you to 'soften' up the ear wax before you go? This is the bit that annoys me with the NHs as I then for 3-4 days cannot hear at all and as I'm on a phone a lot of the day for work is difficult

Not for the appointment I had.  I cannot remember if they had me in for the initial examination and then put drops in my ears and got me to wait outside again for 15-minutes before conducting the micro-sucktion, but the whole process was fine, and the doctor most attentive when I was quite nervous during same;  given the horrific experience with the last trip to the NHS doctor and the dreadfully insensitive operator of the cheap kit used.

I bought some Earex advance and am just starting on a 3 day course of action . Will let you know the subjective result :D

26 minutes ago, Duvet said:

I bought some Earex advance and am just starting on a 3 day course of action . Will let you know the subjective result :D

I forsee inky blacks and lifted veils in your future...:rofl:

3 hours ago, Duvet said:

We want measurements!!!! ;)

Suitably keep them/all clean so you can appreciate e.g. stereo sound.