TheFlash

A surprise mini-CDP bake-off in Kendal: Arcam CD23T, DV139, Pioneer PD-91

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

The bluenode 2 had a bit of a slating by the What hi-fi mafia. Well not an awful review but its hardly put it in a good light.

You should have put your rDAC in for good measure as well Nigel.

https://www.whathifi.com/bluesound/node-2/review

I was cross with myself when I started retyping this but I'm ok now. I typed a long reply, zoomed off to check something elsewhere on the forum and it had all disappeared when I got back. Let me try to reprise:

Ah that esteemed and independent publication - forgive me if I take more notice of the views and experiences of fellow wammers as shared on the related thread

Did you read the content of the reviews? There is no way they can justify 3 stars for one and 5 for t'other:

• they give the rPlay a thumbs up for its 24/192 capability but not the Node 2 for same
  • they mention multi-room as a positive for the rPlay but both have this
  • they do mention the rPlay lacks Bluetooth but give it 5 stars anyway
  • the Node 2 "could be more spacious" whilst the rPlay has a "rather confined presentation" (and the difference is?)
  • the rPlay even gets a thumbs up for compact design at 194 x 44 x 124mm vs the Node 2's 220 x 46 x 146 mm (it's an inch wider and deeper but same height)...
  • they use basically the same DAC (PCM5102 vs PCM5122), the difference being apparently in whether they are controlled by software or hardware but otherwise they're the same

Need I go on? They appear to be really miffed at the temerity of Bluesound in raising its price for the Node 2.

They don't even mention the main reason the rPlay didn't even get onto my shortlist: the Node 2 BluOS app is merely a remote control, the device it runs on is NOT in the playback chain. Wheres the rPlay is, so you are streaming wirelessly from the device. I want my music (ok, my electronic signals) going through proper wires, thank you.

There, that feels better.

Edited by TheFlash
link added

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I want my music (ok, my electronic signals) going through proper wires, thank you.

Have you not heard, they make no difference :D

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Have you not heard, they make no difference :D

I have... but I thought that was about the difference between wires not the difference between wires and look-mum-no-wires. Even if someone were to demnstrate conclusively that Bluetooth communicates as accurate a signal as CAT6, I'm buggered if I'm going wireless. A man has to start resisting "progress" at some point in his life.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, eddie-baby said:

If that were true it could turn into a rollercoaster of hi-fi purchases between us :D

Get a room...

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Get a room...

Make that two rooms. He might appear to be talking innocently about rollercoasters but the next minute it will be simulated ups and downs and I'm not going there again, I'm still in therapy from last time.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Make that two rooms. He might appear to be talking innocently about rollercoasters but the next minute it will be simulated ups and downs and I'm not going there again, I'm still in therapy from last time.

I'm giving up trying, buying and selling hifi anyway, it's nothing but a big hassle. I'm going to find myself a nice headphone amp in the Bristol show and be done with it. 

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, eddie-baby said:

I'm going to find myself a nice headphone amp in the Bristol show and be done with it. 

Months later....

"I'm tired of the in-the-head sound and compression of my ears with cans... Please recommend a good amp and speakers for £xxx budget"

Well, just maybe. ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheFlash said:

I was cross with myself when I started retyping this but I'm ok now. I typed a long reply, zoomed off to check something elsewhere on the forum and it had all disappeared when I got back. Let me try to reprise:

Ah that esteemed and independent publication - forgive me if I take more notice of the views and experiences of fellow wammers as shared on the related thread

Did you read the content of the reviews? There is no way they can justify 3 stars for one and 5 for t'other:

• they give the rPlay a thumbs up for its 24/192 capability but not the Node 2 for same
  • they mention multi-room as a positive for the rPlay but both have this
  • they do mention the rPlay lacks Bluetooth but give it 5 stars anyway
  • the Node 2 "could be more spacious" whilst the rPlay has a "rather confined presentation" (and the difference is?)
  • the rPlay even gets a thumbs up for compact design at 194 x 44 x 124mm vs the Node 2's 220 x 46 x 146 mm (it's an inch wider and deeper but same height)...
  • they use basically the same DAC (PCM5102 vs PCM5122), the difference being apparently in whether they are controlled by software or hardware but otherwise they're the same

Need I go on? They appear to be really miffed at the temerity of Bluesound in raising its price for the Node 2.

They don't even mention the main reason the rPlay didn't even get onto my shortlist: the Node 2 BluOS app is merely a remote control, the device it runs on is NOT in the playback chain. Wheres the rPlay is, so you are streaming wirelessly from the device. I want my music (ok, my electronic signals) going through proper wires, thank you.

There, that feels better.

So will you be cancelling your subscription now Nigel :cafe::D

Edited by eddie-baby

Just having a nose through this thread out of curiosity... I have a rather more humble Pioneer stable-platter player that I use as a transport (PD-S505 Precision, modded in some way that I can't remember now.)

On 24/01/2018 at 16:26, eddie-baby said:

Nah, cant be. It's just a tonal change I would have thought. But I'm no expert either! Perhaps somebody else could comment. I know that valve sound is achievable with a digital filter (eq) like that was available for winamp as a plug in one time, AST DSP or something the name escapes me now, I actually tried it and it did sound valve'y. They could have stuck one of these on in 'digital form'. And had a true bypass also, would have probably been more useful I reckon.   

Just thought I'd quickly comment on this. I'm no DAC filtering expert but know a little about DSP in general.

The thing with graphic equalisers is they give the impression that you can just vary the amplitudes of different frequency bands with no trade-offs. One thing they hide is the interaction between changes in the frequency domain (the relative levels of different frequency components) and the time domain (the actual acoustic waveform that reaches your ears, which is determined by the relative time delays between the different frequency components). [Being slightly more technical it is the interaction between the amplitude response and the phase response.] There are other limitations as well, and this applies to DSP just as electronic graphic equalisers.

The point I'm getting at is just because two implementations may look like they make the same change in tonal balance there is still plenty of scope for difference between how they sound.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

What no cake !! A necessity! Mike generally knocks out  a tasty local Kendal recipe  :)