Spider

1st Build for me DDDac

Hi 

After hearing a few DDDac’s and really enjoying them. I would like to put one together.

After an appeal for parts Von krolock has let me have a go with his 4 stack of the older boards and older main board.

Plan to build a 12v power supply, get some nice caps and put it back into action.

I thought a thread on the build might be fun.

F1049_B50_0203_4_ED2_B260_E09_EC3744_CCD
D17_BA61_B_57_AB_43_AB_BC82_703486_A5352
53719030_738_D_45_DA_A771_131_E5_C85_A64
19_B84445_126_E_4002_916_F_046_C30_E61_A
upload images

Edited by Spider
  • Upvote 1

First question.

I want to just use digital output from my CD player into the DAC

How is best to do this using this main board?

cheers

You need an external SPDIF receiver board.  I've been looking back through Doede's early posts on the DIYAudio DDDAC thread, and Doede used to offer an SPDIF board, but with the release of the new blue mainboard there is no need for it, because it has its own SPDIF input.

Does it have to be SPDIF input?  It might be cheaper to use a Raspberry Pi.

Here's one, but it's out of stock:

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/wm8804.aspx

One of these should work, although I’ve not tried it:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F131572465696

You don’t need to use the screen.

Would this need it’s own power supply? Or would it work using power from the 12v supply?

I quite like the idea of the lcd screen, But I’m wondering if that is what needs the power supply.

thanks

Edited by Spider

Next question 

What the best bang for buck for output caps?  2.2uf.

Dont want to go to cheap and have a negative effect on SQ but also don’t want to blow the budget just on the caps.

I’m not going to set a budget just so I can see what you guys come up with.

👍

18 hours ago, Spider said:

Would this need it’s own power supply? Or would it work using power from the 12v supply?

I quite like the idea of the lcd screen, But I’m wondering if that is what needs the power supply.

thanks

Yes, it needs it’s own power supply.  According to the Ebay listing it needs a 5v supply.  Does the red mainbord have a pin marked as 5v out?  If not, you will need to get a basic 5v power supply.  You could use a 5v walwart to get you going. Amazon or Maplin will sell 5v switching power supplies.  

In the long term you will need either one of the Audio Creative 5v PSU kits, or a separate transformer and low noise regulator, like the ones available from the DIYINHK website.

9 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

Hi Tim,
I think these Mundorf caps were included in the original kit & were good quality.
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/mundorf_mkp.html

Yep those will get you going.  At a later date you can investigate the silver/gold/oil versions.

Tim - when you spec the 12V power supply for the DAC stack & main board make sure it is at least capable of supplying 1A easily.
The original DDDAC1794 12V PSU is rated at 1A & the heatsink on the 12V PSU gets warm with the 4 DAC setup.
Current draw is stated as 100mA per DAC brd & 10mA for the main brd .
You want the PSU to be working well within its max rating.

Edited by Von Krolock
  • Like 1