Considering Making a SBT

I'm interested in adding a screen to my pi setup so I await your update!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay out of the blue both the Pi Touch screen and the Digi + arrived this morning meaning that I now had all the parts to construct this project . Common sense said leave it all till Monday and then t

Well sourceforge is back up and working now so everything is completed and here is a picture of the player working playing Radio Paradise in Flac version . All things considered nothing like as diffic

Interesting Andrew. I'm still attached to the SBT: emotionally, not physically. I have listened to several streamers now and I could not justify changing it on sonic grounds. Of course, I use an

Posted Images

THe official Pi 7" screen is very good.

Okay out of the blue both the Pi Touch screen and the Digi + arrived this morning meaning that I now had all the parts to construct this project . Common sense said leave it all till Monday and then take my time . Never was that patient so instead opened it all and have decided to put it together today .

Well construction and fitting everything was fine few little problems like realising I did not need to use the jumper cables to get power to the screen as the case kit has a USB power lead splitter but it has gone together quite easily .

Turned on and got the upside down screen but having read the blog on the first page I knew this was not a huge issue . One thing that may be apart of the latest Picore download but not mentioned is that after set up the screen shows you the IP address of the Picore Player which saves you searching round.

Went to the IP web address rotated the screen display (under Tweeks and near to the bottom) 180 Deg was it seems the default so choose 0 and save it it then after a reboot the display flips to the right orientation .

The under the Squeezlite settings chose the Digi + from the Audio drop down and again after a reboot the card is activated as the audio output device.

Then went to tweaks to load Jivelite to get a nice screen that I could use but sadly sourceforce the site for all the addons etc is down so not able to do that .

However under Squeezelite settings there is an option to put in a fixed IP address for LMS which I did and saved and then from the LMS control page the Picore player appeared and I could use the LMS interface to control the Picore . Started it playing Radio Paradise and seems to work fine . However not connected the Picore to anything via the Digital output yet so while everything seems fine not heard anything yet .

Overall this was very easy to do the screen is larger than the SBT and seems to be nice and bright . Sod's Law in action means I cannot load the Jivelite skin and GUI so not wanting to insert it into my system until all is completed and I have touch screen control . Once the sourceforge site is back on line will complete the installation and will then reaplce my Music Room player and see what comes out . If it all works well will then take a photo with screen working and put it on here.

At this time it looks like it is going to be a succesful project.

• Like 4

Well Sourceforge site is still down so no signs of being able to load Jivelite to get a nice GUI any time soon . Could not wait any longer to see if as well looking like it works does it actually play music ?

Installed the player in my music system downstairs and connected it to the DSpeaker unit by Toslink . Every thing looked fine so went back upstairs and used the LMS control on line to access the picore player which had appeared in the list and chose Radio Paradise and play . To my delight even upstairs I could hear that there was indeed music.

Went down took a seat and listened to the Flac feed from RP for about 30 minutes or so . Playback was faultless not drop outs not ticks or buzzes and the sound was identical to what had been used before.

Then went back upstairs used the LMS page to switch to Random Songs and as always you have to wait while this loads but now it is working a treat and sounding as goos as ever.

Have to be honest there is no difference I can hear from uisng the SBT but as the player is just acting as a streamer with digital out that is to be expected .

Thrilled now as I will bring this to Kegworth and use it in the systme I am showing there .

• Upvote 1

Well sourceforge is back up and working now so everything is completed and here is a picture of the player working playing Radio Paradise in Flac version . All things considered nothing like as difficult as i though it would be and at the end a real feeling of satisfaction that I can deal with the failure of the SBT at some future point and still have a great player with the same excellent sound .

IMAG0110.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nice one Andrew.

'Course, this means that tomorrow you can concentrate on the housework 9_9

Ronnie

Edited by Man in a van
spelin
8 hours ago, Man in a van said:

Nice one Andrew.

'Course, this means that tomorrow you can concentrate on the housework 9_9

Ronnie

Naw its been music playing all day . My wife is even loving this player as the bigger screen makes it easier to read and use . Sod the housework , get the wine out and have a session .

This popped up on my Facebook feed yesterday: https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/pirate-radio-pi-zero-w-project-kit

Not quite a SBT replacement, but a great price if all you want is an Internet radio or Spotify streamer.

Hi Killie99

SmartiPi Touch Case  is the one I ordered and have to admit it is very good easy to assemble and because they supply a y connector to plug the power supply it allows you to add a Hat card in my case a Digi + to get digital out but it could just as easily be a Pi Dac or other card making it a complete player .

It is also possible to load LMS on to the Pi via the Picore page but would suggest that it is better to have a seperate Pi as just the server and keep this as just a player.

and last question ... where did you get the screen and case? cheers.

I used the Official Raspberry Pi 7" Touch screen which is available from a number of suppliers including on Amazon . In fact the one I used I bought on E-Bay at a reduced cost so worth having a look on there after you have got the cheapest price for a new unit first.

I’ve done this myself using Max2Play for the software but running it headless with iPeng to control it. I thought this much better than the SBT. It’s faster and sounds better - even just using it as a streamer in to an Arcam DAC. Significantly, you can plug a large drive in to it where the SBT struggles. It has been more stable than the SBT as well. 

If anyone else is thinking about this, I have a Rasptouch case, 7” screen plus some other bits sitting in my attic & free to a good home. I used the Pi as a headless Roonbridge so you’d need to add that. There’s also a Pi hat DAC (?ESS9023) but I think it’s kaput.

Pm me if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
2 hours ago, aswillman said:

If anyone else is thinking about this, I have a Rasptouch case, 7” screen plus some other bits sitting in my attic & free to a good home. I used the Pi as a headless Roonbridge so you’d need to add that. There’s also a Pi hat DAC (?ESS9023) but I think it’s kaput.

Pm me if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As always on this forum there is some kind fellow wammer who can offer things they no longer use. I f anyone is intereted in the above I have a spare Raspberry Pi A with an IQ Audio DAC fitted and an SD card which outside of the power supply should be enough for you to make a complete SBT Clone . As above after you seure the parts from Anthony drop me a PM and we can make arrangements. Alternately if you are at Kegworth let me know and I will pack the pi and you can collect it from room 217 .