Considering Making a SBT

Killie99 has first dibs on the Rasptouch. I have to say I have always found these great fun but work and a 6 yr old means less time to play hence my rather boring SOTM off the shelf solution!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay out of the blue both the Pi Touch screen and the Digi + arrived this morning meaning that I now had all the parts to construct this project . Common sense said leave it all till Monday and then t

Well sourceforge is back up and working now so everything is completed and here is a picture of the player working playing Radio Paradise in Flac version . All things considered nothing like as diffic

Interesting Andrew. I'm still attached to the SBT: emotionally, not physically. I have listened to several streamers now and I could not justify changing it on sonic grounds. Of course, I use an

Posted Images

8 hours ago, iquadius said:

Hi all, just curious why you avoided the obvious juggler route for this.

M

Hi Mike in my case I have not avoided it at all as I already have three working Joggler player in various systems around the house . I decided to make this one because of have the SBT in place in my main music system and the concern that as it gets older the chances are that the SBT could fail and there is nowhere to go for a replacement. My main DAC does not have a USB input which is all the Joggler offers so this unit has both a Toslink and RCA Spdif out and can easily replace the SBT .

The other feeling I have is that while the Joggler works it can be a little tempramental with the touch screen element . The Clone as the screen is new and of the conductive type works very crisply indeed,

Killie99 I have just been going through all my dross and cables preparing for Kegworth . I have two Raspberry Pi type A boards one with an Iqaudio Pi Dac whch has RCA analogue outputs . I have now found another Raspbery Pi A this time fitted with a Hifi Berry Digital output board so has both a Toslink and RS+CA SPDIF out . If either of these are of any interest to you for your build or if anyone else reading this thread would like one then either drop me a PM to arrange or I will bring them to Kegworth and you can call in and collect from room 217 .

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 08:50, bencat said:

Hi Mike in my case I have not avoided it at all as I already have three working Joggler player in various systems around the house . I decided to make this one because of have the SBT in place in my main music system and the concern that as it gets older the chances are that the SBT could fail and there is nowhere to go for a replacement. My main DAC does not have a USB input which is all the Joggler offers so this unit has both a Toslink and RCA Spdif out and can easily replace the SBT .

The other feeling I have is that while the Joggler works it can be a little tempramental with the touch screen element . The Clone as the screen is new and of the conductive type works very crisply indeed,

Yes, have to agree with you on the touch screen, can be a liiiiitle temperamental occasionally. A buddy and I are Biking across to the show this weekend from NI ... I will make sure and stop by your room.

Mike

p.s. I did the spdif output mod to one of my jogglers, works quite well, sounds pretty decent.

Edited by iquadius
  • 5 months later...

Perhaps I should have started a new thread but thought I would add to this as it concerns my second SBT Clone build. While in general I found the process quite easy one area was a reak pain for me and has caused me a problem now that I had to do some changes which meant taking the Pi out of the case .

I have very large hands and in tandem with that I have quite large fingers as well so fine work on small pcb,s etc is a real difficult thing for me and often a cause for frustration and in some cases damage. The display ribbon cable that you use to connect the screen to the Pi is a case in point . The ribbon cable is not like most I have used fitted with a long plug to connect it but is in fact kust bare wire on one side which has to be placed in the socket and a small beige plastic bar pushed in which forces the contact. While this can be done I am sure with good results I have found that it is best onkly done once and then left alone .

I have had to remove the cable and needless to say it is now damaged and the tiny beige bar has broken . I am able to get a replacment cable and will take one of the beige fastners from another Pi . Has anyone got any tips or advice on the safest and best way to make this connection. If there is any aftermarket cable with a proper plug on then let me know as I would pay willingly to avoid another swety wrestle and swear filled encounter.

Yes that's the one and as mentioned it is very fragile. Not too worried about getting a replacement they are easy to source but just such a nightmare to insert and secure .