IAN Seabrook

Speakers

Recommended Posts

I also have the 1.8/ii and in the past they've defeated every competitor in the 2-3k bracket that I've tried, including Proacs which sounded less even and PMCs which had an overdone bass in the room. Bettered by Naim SL2 (unsurprising at £5.5k then) and Spendor Statement (forerunner to the D7, sort of). 

I liked the Focal 926 at a shop but you need to try that, Spendor's new A series and possibly the B&W 702S2... 

Edited by chris metcalfe
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i thought the new spendor a7 sounded better than the d9 at the bristol show . very natural sound and such a small size really . and yes the 700 series is a peach 

https://www.whathifi.com/news/spendor-expands-line-speaker-range-new-a7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just come to the end of a long speaker hunt, trying to buy used/ exdemo.

It has been hard work, involving me lugging around 70kg of amp and streamer and driving many hundreds of miles between Derbyshire and Fife, Suffolk, London, Essex, Norfolk and more, several times.

I have always only listened to items that I intended to buy at that place, so as to not mess anyone around by using them to listen to new stuff that could be bought ex demo elsewhere. 

After listiening to many, I got together a shortlist of 3 and got them in my room at home - if a dealer wasn't prepared to allow that, then they were discounted. I think that's the only way to do it really. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 22:38, uzzy said:

Something that sounds right to my ears .. how do you describe it .. I want it to sound accurate and to provide the closest sound stage I can get to feel like you are actually there hearing it live.  I want deep controlled bass, extended treble with no brashness (unless the music is meant to sound brash) and clear mids and all three beautifully integrated.   I want transient attack where it has the ability to go from silent to explosion and make your heart jump.  I want to feel the music (hence the deep bass - that smack in your stomach when the kick drum is attacked) .. most of all I want to be able to just listen to the music and moan about the production perhaps (think of bad venue great band) but never for the loudspeaker to draw attention to itself (i.e. listen to the music not the equipment).  I want presence that makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when a piece of music moves me . I want a big sound stage to be able to place instruments in space in height, depth and width.   My Art Impressions do all that for me at any volume ... job done.

 

I have Graham Audio LS 5/9, all you describe up above, I feel I am getting with the 5/9, the best speakers I have heard in my living room or at a demo.

If you put in a subwoofer, then you get the (smack) too ;-) although the middle bass is quite nice 👍🏻 

Edited by gryphon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 3/14/2018 at 22:43, yoda900 said:

Uzzy there is only one issue about our Impressions

The OP said:-  "I have a budget of around £2000"

If there are any Impressions around for that amount I'll have another pair. :)

He asked me what I looked for in a loudspeaker .. so I had to say the Art Impressions were job done.  As for second hand, I have never seen a pair second had but the next best thing were the Art Expression monitor with its bass sub cabinet which I did see a pair second hand on ebay some months back for just over £2000.  I could happily live with those if i had to downsize my living room.  Interesting thing to note here though is you prefer the Impressions with the Seas Crescendo tweeter and I prefer them with the original horn loaded MDT33 .. just goes to show there is rarely a single fits all, as we all have our preferences.  Though I have to say if I could not have my impressions with the horn loaded tweeter I would be extremely happy to have a pair with the Crescendos.  The only speakers I would consider changing for (in same size room as I have now and not downsizing) would be the Art Alnico reference .. though I have never had the chance to compare them up against the Impressions ,at the Whittlebury show some years back Mike Valentine was using them to dem his recordings and they were truly amazing.  On the basis that when I sold stuff it always sounded better in a home than in the dem room I can only conclude they would be even more magical in my living room :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eddieedwards said:

After listiening to many, I got together a shortlist of 3 and got them in my room at home - if a dealer wasn't prepared to allow that, then they were discounted. I think that's the only way to do it really. 

Go on, give us a clue....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chris metcalfe said:

Go on, give us a clue....

The finalists were Audio Physic Codex, Vivid Audio B1 and Magico S1.

I will be ordering some Audio Physic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

A bit less well known perhaps in the UK, but I'm a fan of Revel speakers and have had several models. For maybe £1500-1750 you might find a pair of F30 or possibly F32 floorstanders. Both have very decent bass and neutral overall sonics. I had a pair of F52s that I sold for less than £2k although there aren't many about and I've not seen a pair near that price since. They have outstanding sound for the money, even up to say £3K second hand if in excellent condition (which I realise is out of budget).

I also have a pair of original Revel Gem standmounts that I've hung on to. They have impressive bass for their size and even more so when paired with a fast sub.

The watchword for all of them is 'neutral' which might sound bland but they are dynamic and anything but!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had Jamie's revel Gems at home and then borrowed them for my Scalford system in 2017. At home they were plonked willy nilly in my listening room replacing my resident horn system that included some very expensive JBL beryllium drivers, and Vitavox 15" bass drivers. They were terrific and my friend and I thought they edged it over the horns. That's quite a result. They would benefit from a subwoofer, but they are excellent speakers (and the stands are mandatory and heavy). You'd be doing very well to prise them away from their owner, however...

Jack NSM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
3 hours ago, uzzy said:

He asked me what I looked for in a loudspeaker .. so I had to say the Art Impressions were job done.  As for second hand, I have never seen a pair second had but the next best thing were the Art Expression monitor with its bass sub cabinet which I did see a pair second hand on ebay some months back for just over £2000.  I could happily live with those if i had to downsize my living room.  Interesting thing to note here though is you prefer the Impressions with the Seas Crescendo tweeter and I prefer them with the original horn loaded MDT33 .. just goes to show there is rarely a single fits all, as we all have our preferences.  Though I have to say if I could not have my impressions with the horn loaded tweeter I would be extremely happy to have a pair with the Crescendos.  The only speakers I would consider changing for (in same size room as I have now and not downsizing) would be the Art Alnico reference .. though I have never had the chance to compare them up against the Impressions ,at the Whittlebury show some years back Mike Valentine was using them to dem his recordings and they were truly amazing.  On the basis that when I sold stuff it always sounded better in a home than in the dem room I can only conclude they would be even more magical in my living room :) 

My mate has that pair of Art Alnico Reference in his huge Victorian lounge. Magic. In my original room I had the Art Expresion monitors and bass bins. They now reside in my mates sons bedroom which is bigger than most lounges! They get passed on rather than sold on the second hand market. I know of another pair of Impressions that never saw the market when they changed hands.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eddieedwards said:

The finalists were Audio Physic Codex, Vivid Audio B1 and Magico S1.

I will be ordering some Audio Physic.

the codex must have been very good to beat that s1 , tell us more sometime 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2018 at 12:03, IAN Seabrook said:

I have a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk 11 must be over 20 years old plus I am looking to change these for a new upgrade ,

i have had a listen to the pmc but did not find them very warm, I have a budget of around £2000 had a look on line at the Focal Aria 926

not had a demo yet. My System is a Naim Nac 82,nap 250 And. HDX . Any input would be greatly received .

You already have great speakers. If they are suited size wise to the room it might be hard to better those, especially with 2 grand. I hate being shy with speakers though, nice to change them around every so often. I preferred the older PMCs my self, not keen on the newer twenties, but many do like them.

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi if you can source a pair of Art Deco 8s I think you'll be well happy and consider them as 'keepers', just like me☺

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
14 hours ago, patbarrydub said:

Hi if you can source a pair of Art Deco 8s I think you'll be well happy and consider them as 'keepers', just like me☺

Until you listen to a pair of Decco 10s :) .. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2018 at 14:29, uzzy said:

Until you listen to a pair of Decco 10s :) .. 

I actually had a short listen to the 10s in my room, Signature 'n all, with the room being 19' long and only 11' wide I thought the bass was a bit much on the 10s and they are a good bit more imposing than 8s, super speakers though and something I may look at again cheers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.