bencat

Roon Neucleus and Service

Super Wammer

I do not wish this to be a complete kicking of a company but I have to say that I really do not understand why anyone would want to use this company for its Service and buy its new standalone servers. Looking at them they do not appear to be anything that special but the cheapest hardware option is around £1500 . Then once having paid what I view as a huge price for a fairly simple server (they are based on Intel or Apple chipsets and then just shorn of features to make them dedicated as servers) you then expected to pay the company a yearly fee of around $100 to use the software or pay out $500 to get the service for life .

Now I may have got this wrong but this is just a Media Server with add on's that look good and give you extra information about artists and the like. I have little doubt that it may well be something that others enjoy and are willing to pay for . However I would have thought if you are selling the customer an expensive piece of hardware that can only run using your software then at the least for those owners you would bundle in a lifetime membership .

Now Keith at Purite is checking this so I may be wrong and they will offer a deal but for the life of me I can not see why anyone buy such limiting hardware and then shell out just so it works.

• Upvote 1

Ditto. How does Roon differ from LMS?

Super Wammer

Looking at the HenleyDesigns page here:

https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/Nucleus?DepartmentIds=1&BrandIds=26

Quote: "Requires a Roon subscription"

So basically you seem to be paying £900 to put together a NUC, something that should take about 5 minutes. For that money, I agree a subscription should have been included.

because its a hi fi box,  I do use roon, but run it on a standard windows box, and despite roons claim for it being a demanding piece of software the box runs a stack of other stuff with no problems or down side. (it  acts as a general server as well as running roon)  There appears to be a fairly large number of hi fi fans that need to think that computer audio is not computer based at all, and therefore a designated server is needed. I can not find it in myself to blame roon for pandering to the market. When you think of the hardware you could assemble for the price a roon server it beggars belief that people do it, but they will. 

2 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

because its a hi fi box,  I do use roon, but run it on a standard windows box, and despite roons claim for it being a demanding piece of software the box runs a stack of other stuff with no problems or down side. (it  acts as a general server as well as running roon)  There appears to be a fairly large number of hi fi fans that need to think that computer audio is not computer based at all, and therefore a designated server is needed. I can not find it in myself to blame roon for pandering to the market. When you think of the hardware you could assemble for the price a roon server it beggars belief that people do it, but they will. 

So in other words a con. 

Taking advantage of the ignorant and/or gullible. Or does Roon actually do something that LMS or any other free media server software can't do.

S

1 minute ago, SergeAuckland said:

Ditto. How does Roon differ from LMS?

by a large amount, LMS lists your music, roon does let you explore large amounts of information based around what you are listening to. LMS does a decent enough job as does bubble and the others, Roon just pulls a lot of information together.  Its a case of are you prepared to pay for it. While I can I will, but if not it will be back to one of the freebies, but sadly aware of what they are missing. 

1 minute ago, dudywoxer said:

by a large amount, LMS lists your music, roon does let you explore large amounts of information based around what you are listening to. LMS does a decent enough job as does bubble and the others, Roon just pulls a lot of information together.  Its a case of are you prepared to pay for it. While I can I will, but if not it will be back to one of the freebies, but sadly aware of what they are missing. 

So does Google or Wikipedia. Sorry, but I just don't see what Roon does for me that I can't get for free elsewhere. 

S

LOL, computer audio is the new foo. Why do it on the cheap when you can do the same thing for shedloads more money? Find out more at www.we-saw-you-coming.com

• Upvote 2

convenience and ease of use, as and example I a, listening to Van Morrison inarticulate  speech of the Heart, and enjoying the synth. roon tells me that is Mark Isham, one mouse click tells me he is featured 5 Van Morrison albums, and 53 other albums. as I subscribe to tidal, they are all a mouse click away to listen to. They do not hide it, there is a link to Wikipedia, and a general web search from the roon page as well. 

• Like 2

Super Dealer
31 minutes ago, SergeAuckland said:

So does Google or Wikipedia. Sorry, but I just don't see what Roon does for me that I can't get for free elsewhere. 

S

I couldn’t see the point of ROON at all, but having tried it, it is nice to use, there is lots of information, it does add your ripped library to your Tidal library, I think you really need to add Tidal subscription which also costs of course.

Apart from library tidying there is EQ which is quite useful, I believe the attenuation is properly implemented , the ability to control various devices in different rooms, it has a useful ‘transparency’ checker and internet radio.

Regarding the hardware, nothing really special, it runs Roon’s own software which is free to download from their site , it is fanless , you are paying mainly for the case and convenience.

It really is plug and play, for me it has just freed the MacBook from ‘audio’ duties and it will make a very neat system with the D&D8Cs.

Keith

1 minute ago, PuritéAudio said:

I couldn’t see the point of ROON at all, but having tried it, it is nice to use, there is lots of information, it does add your ripped library to your Tidal library, I think you really need to add Tidal subscription which also costs of course.

Apart from library tidying there is EQ which is quite useful, I believe the attenuation is properly implemented , the ability to control various devices in different rooms, it has a useful ‘transparency’ checker and internet radio.

Regarding the hardware, nothing really special, it runs Roon’s own software which is free to download from their site , it is fanless , you are paying mainly for the case and convenience.

It really is plug and play, for me it has just freed the MacBook from ‘audio’ duties and it will make a very neat system with the D&D8Cs.

Keith

OK that makes a certain sense, convenience at a cost. I don't have Tidal or any other streaming service as I buy all the music I want. As to hardware, it doesn't come any easier than my SBT, and LMS just runs on a laptop that has an external drive attached for all my music.

S

Super Dealer

It is convenient, just the  Roon box, IPad to control everything and a pair of speakers, they sense when a music signal is present, literally music at the touch of a screen.

They offer a free trial, but will sk for your CC details!

keith

Super Wammer

I’m a bit torn.

I think Roon is excellent as it does give nice background information to the bands as well as linking to other bands/artists. I have discovered a few that way. I was going down the lifetime license route but have just subscribed for another year. I think the biggest plus is it’s Tidal integration but I found this just too expensive for the amount I was using it. I am in the maybe group.

And Serge you are right, you can find all the info on Wikipedia. I have Roon on a bog standard Mac Mini with 2 x matching NewerTech external drives so it looks smart, all at half the cost of the purpose built Roon machine.

The other dilemma I have is I bought a RefStream thinking it was a Roon Endpoint (some very dodgy information out there!). I discovered it wasn’t but had a license for JRiver MC so got that running on the Mac - to be honest there is no difference between the two experiences in my opinion. They load quickly, there’s no glitches and I am happy with both. Whether the extra metadata is worth the money, I don’t know...

I use Apple Music as my streaming service now as I can go out with my phone & use a Bluetooth DAC to listen to new stuff (whilst walking the dog) and at home use an Airport Express into my DAC for the same with control by the Roon app or Remote.

So in a conundrum. If Tidal is in the trouble that it’s rumored to be in, Roon will have to develop integration with another service I think. It is an excellent product but the price may stop its expansion as well as lack of hardware integration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First of, Roon created ROCK which offers a complete no faff, operating system for a NUC. They're not pushing Nucleus just offering a product some will take up and many won't. It will easily run on an old PC with 4GB of RAM and a slow CPU if you run it under Linux. 

Secondly Roon is the only part of my system that will not get an upgrade. Particularly as I don't believe there's anything equal nevermind better. Just room correction which can be set on multiple zones independently alone is worth the price. 

Thirdly, Roon for me is about freedom. One of which allows you to get the best sound quality. Not when you have a great sounding streamer but the app is awful. Or like with Sonos decent app with not the best hardware. 

They created a way of doing things, an environment, a platform, not a piece of software. It can run on Windows, Linux, OSX, can be controlled from any Roon control app. Android, iPhone or iPad, Windows, OSX. This allows you for massive flexibility. No more I'm on iPhone so can't do something... 

Next, it's all about the RAAT. They wrote a transfer protocol that is 100% for audio and maintain sound quality. This protocol allows what no other available protocol do is switch sampling rates in stream. Meaning you always get bit perfect information. What that also does is allow you full freedom of your home architecture. Not just that Roon is happy to send data to Airplay devices however it will all be resampled.

Roon requires 4 things. A server to run Roon, a data storage, a player to play what server sends and a control device. With Roon these can be one devices (e.g. Windows PC connected to hifi), or as many as you want two like in my case a server on Linux controlled by Android or like in many cases a whole network, one server with many zones, NAS storage or even a cloud and then control devices.

Then there is what data you actually have. Roon won't care if there's any metadata, if tracks are all in different locations (folders or drives or even network locations). If they're in different formats, sampling rates. It will compile a database and let you do with it what you will. It will add all the metadata, link up performers, show you things you didn't know when doing things digitally like who played bass or who produced an album all the things you would know if you had a record in your hand. Add album reviews, lyrics. All of a sudden you will feel like you're browsing music collection not a set of folders. Best part is you can click on most names and explore say you click on a producer and all albums will come up. For example didn't it know Larry Klein the produces of Melody Gardot "My One and Only Thrill" played bass on Peter Gabriel's "So" album? Same guy who played bass and produced some Joni Mitchell albums while briefly being married to her.

I could continue writing explain all the virtues for much longer but the point is I can see upgrading any other component of my system other than Roon. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, insider9 said:

First of, Roon created ROCK which offers a complete no faff, operating system for a NUC. They're not pushing Nucleus just offering a product some will take up and many won't. It will easily run on an old PC with 4GB of RAM and a slow CPU if you run it under Linux. 

Secondly Roon is the only part of my system that will not get an upgrade. Particularly as I don't believe there's anything equal nevermind better. Just room correction which can be set on multiple zones independently alone is worth the price. 

Thirdly, Roon for me is about freedom. One of which allows you to get the best sound quality. Not when you have a great sounding streamer but the app is awful. Or like with Sonos decent app with not the best hardware. 

They created a way of doing things, an environment, a platform, not a piece of software. It can run on Windows, Linux, OSX, can be controlled from any Roon control app. Android, iPhone or iPad, Windows, OSX. This allows you for massive flexibility. No more I'm on iPhone so can't do something... 

Next, it's all about the RAAT. They wrote a transfer protocol that is 100% for audio and maintain sound quality. This protocol allows what no other available protocol do is switch sampling rates in stream. Meaning you always get bit perfect information. What that also does is allow you full freedom of your home architecture. Not just that Roon is happy to send data to Airplay devices however it will all be resampled.

Roon requires 4 things. A server to run Roon, a data storage, a player to play what server sends and a control device. With Roon these can be one devices (e.g. Windows PC connected to hifi), or as many as you want two like in my case a server on Linux controlled by Android or like in many cases a whole network, one server with many zones, NAS storage or even a cloud and then control devices.

Then there is what data you actually have. Roon won't care if there's any metadata, if tracks are all in different locations (folders or drives or even network locations). If they're in different formats, sampling rates. It will compile a database and let you do with it what you will. It will add all the metadata, link up performers, show you things you didn't know when doing things digitally like who played bass or who produced an album all the things you would know if you had a record in your hand. Add album reviews, lyrics. All of a sudden you will feel like you're browsing music collection not a set of folders. Best part is you can click on most names and explore say you click on a producer and all albums will come up. For example didn't it know Larry Klein the produces of Melody Gardot "My One and Only Thrill" played bass on Peter Gabriel's "So" album? Same guy who played bass and produced some Joni Mitchell albums while briefly being married to her.

I could continue writing explain all the virtues for much longer but the point is I can see upgrading any other component of my system other than Roon. 

That's the bit, it turns your digital library into a music collection, not a series of bland folders. Better to use, and more helpful than even the best Album sleeves. 

• Like 3