Roon Neucleus and Service

There is of course another excellent product for this function that costs nothing. Vortexbox. It fully supports LMS plus automatic CD ripping. If you poke it with a USB drive it offers to backup your server. But best of all it's a free download that you can choose to load on a spare PC of your choice. Best approach is version 2.4 that requires a 64bit PC.  It doesn't demand much hardware as it is an efficent Linux server customised to be a media server. I have just upgraded my Vortexbox to 2.4 and I run it on a near 10 year old HP Microserver. it's the main house server for all files not just music, video and pictures.

Best of all if you can scrounge an old PC you can try it for nothing.

https://wiki.vortexbox.org/available_images

• Like 1
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of, Roon created ROCK which offers a complete no faff, operating system for a NUC. They're not pushing Nucleus just offering a product some will take up and many won't. It will easily run on an

That's the bit, it turns your digital library into a music collection, not a series of bland folders. Better to use, and more helpful than even the best Album sleeves. 

LOL, computer audio is the new foo. Why do it on the cheap when you can do the same thing for shedloads more money? Find out more at www.we-saw-you-coming.com

vortebox does not run room, it is a good option for Lms and some upnp servers.

Happy Roon user here. Nucleus was offered because Roon realised that regardless of how easy they made it to run Roon on multiple platforms some still wanted a turnkey solution they could buy and fire up rather than mess around with computers and software. If you buy in to the idea of Roon you will find a way to make it work for you, and for some that may be Nucleus but all solutions are your choice of Roon subscription (annual or lifetime) plus hardware. That is their model. If you want a turnkey solution at a better price then look at options like this. Or get someone to assemble a NUC based server for you. The brutal honest answer to the OP is that Nucleus+ models are selling and there is a subset of Roon customers for whom the money doesn't matter as much as the convenience. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, dudywoxer said:

by a large amount, LMS lists your music, roon does let you explore large amounts of information based around what you are listening to. LMS does a decent enough job as does bubble and the others, Roon just pulls a lot of information together.  Its a case of are you prepared to pay for it. While I can I will, but if not it will be back to one of the freebies, but sadly aware of what they are missing. 

Just a thought, my Rasp Pi with RuneAudio does most of this. Provides background information on artist being played, often lyrics to the song being played, and identifies other artists/albums which are similar that may be of interest.

I use the Pi as server and player (via dac), with 4tb attached. Rune also has radio stations etc should you want this.

1 hour ago, hermano said:

Just a thought, my Rasp Pi with RuneAudio does most of this. Provides background information on artist being played, often lyrics to the song being played, and identifies other artists/albums which are similar that may be of interest.

I use the Pi as server and player (via dac), with 4tb attached. Rune also has radio stations etc should you want this.

Edited by dudywoxer
2 hours ago, hermano said:

There's many alternatives. And all of them are just a glorified player. Roon is far more than that. From what I've seen Audirvana could be interesting when it comes to Windows but still nowhere near Roon however for many an excellent solution. I'm genuinely curious and should a better product come out I would consider it.

For me Roon has such a holistic approach that nothing will come close unless they start looking at it from similar perspective.

Out of interest, can you do convolution based room correction from within Rune Audio or alongside it in software? Does it integrate Tidal playback or any other lossless streaming service?

I think it is true that if someone likes Roon and is prepared to pay a not insignificant sum to use it then it's a given they get what it does. Nucleus does not sit under that same use case though. It is a turnkey appliance grade solution to running Roon and is only there to cater for a small number of people who insisted on having it. But at its heart is a 7i3 or 7i7 NUC motherboard with a passive silent cooling solution and Roons' ROCK operating system. You pay for a case able to passively cool an i7 NUC (which not too many others including Akasa have been able to do) and a mark up appropriate to a hifi component. The OP did the normal hifi thing of seeing the value of the hardware above that of the software and proposing the software should be discounted or free. It demonstrates the biggest problem with modern appliance based streaming solutions. Most are hardware manufacturers who bring in people to create and massage the software need to use these products. As a previous user of Moons MiND 180 streamer I can testify as to how buggy it was to use in the early days and how slow to evolve to something which is now more user friendly. Roon is a software company. They are the polar opposite to traditional hardware centred providers and you start with excellent software to which you then add hardware and an OS appropriate to your means and needs. If you are questioning the value of Nucleus it is not the solution for you, and there are other ways to achieve what should be very similar results. 

• Like 1

Very true that, to me the main advantage of computer audio us convenience and ease of use. Add to that information and internet based streaming, all in one place and currently nothing touches roon. Going for dedicated hardware is down to the individual and not a requirement

• Upvote 1

Appreciate the comments on this discussion and agree that my view poit comes from a music Hi Fi and not a software knowledge . The other issue for this to me is that to properly use Roon you need a screen close to your listening seat either a PC or tablet . Yes I know you can use a smart phone but at my age the secreen is far too small to be comfortable to use . Given this it is just another additional cost to add in order to be able to get intergrated information this software seems to offer. This may be something once experienced that is very hard to do without but for me at least  I would not consider the high cost of membership as worth the cost.

Just an aside point if you sign up and pay your Life Membership then three months later the company goes down is that just tough and you have lost your money ? What guarantees if any do you get that Roon will be there for you to have at least five years of use to make your purchase worth it ?

Edited by bencat
  • Upvote 1

This has been discussed at length on their forum. There would be a software release and existing users would have useable software for the foreseeable future. But they have also stated they are doing sufficiently well to have been able to reject bids to buy the business with no regrets or worries. Obviously the Oppo story shows you can never be sure, but it also demonstrates that it can happen anywhere. You are always taking that risk.

1 hour ago, bencat said:

Appreciate the comments on this discussion and agree that my view poit comes from a music Hi Fi and not a software knowledge . The other issue for this to me is that to properly use Roon you need a screen close to your listening seat either a PC or tablet . Yes I know you can use a smart phone but at my age the secreen is far too small to be comfortable to use . Given this it is just another additional cost to add in order to be able to get intergrated information this software seems to offer. This may be something once experienced that is very hard to do without but for me at least  I would not consider the high cost of membership as worth the cost.

Just an aside point if you sign up and pay your Life Membership then three months later the company goes down is that just tough and you have lost your money ? What guarantees if any do you get that Roon will be there for you to have at least five years of use to make your purchase worth it ?

The same applies to any software you buy, the company goes under, tough. Any product come to that. LMS users would be facing a bleak future of the community software idea had not bailed them out.  As to high cost of membership £100 a year, I already have a computer to run it on, a pad or two around the place. How much is a slab of vinyl, or a decent MC cart, both of which are consumables. As to the cost being worth it, many of us that pay it feel it is, many don't. I guess the difference is those that pay will have tried it for the  free period then decided, you won't know if its for you until you have used it. I find it much better value to me than say leasing MS Office.  There is plenty of cheap or free software the can replace office as well, most of that does half the job fairly well, 

I almost went for the lifetime license but have just held back for another year.

The iPad app is very good and will give you a clear readout of what is happening. I think it is easier to use than the JRiver app but that in itself is not bad.

Roon:

9bfb0614348fa360948ccbe54849fd6f.jpg

JRiver (browse mode):

1f310c0fa9148be04b7cf558d184a50c.jpg

So it’s horses for courses I think. I suspect I will stick with Roon as I have played around with both now. It also allows control of Airplay which is useful for around the house. If you want to have a play, I would highly recommend a simple R-Pi endpoint or something like the SOTM SMS-200. I have a R-Pi with Jessie Lite on it configured as a Roon endpoint if you want to borrow it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On 04/04/2018 at 17:57, slavedata said:

There is of course another excellent product for this function that costs nothing. Vortexbox. It fully supports LMS plus automatic CD ripping. If you poke it with a USB drive it offers to backup your server. But best of all it's a free download that you can choose to load on a spare PC of your choice. Best approach is version 2.4 that requires a 64bit PC.  It doesn't demand much hardware as it is an efficent Linux server customised to be a media server. I have just upgraded my Vortexbox to 2.4 and I run it on a near 10 year old HP Microserver. it's the main house server for all files not just music, video and pictures.

Massive thanks for that mention! 

I built a streamer yesterday. And used Vortexbox as a platform to install Roon server. It works brilliantly. Headless setup with automatic CD ripping. 

A quick comment on Vortexbox.It will indeed run on older hardware but if you use it alongside Roon Server you still need to respect the minimum requirements of Roon to get the optimum user experience and be able to make use of all of Roons' functionality. They would also be better placed to support you.

And Martin is incredibly helpful. I had a very informative chat with him when looking at a Mite as a Roon endpoint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk