Spider

DDDAC first build ”frankenDAC”

Ok then, I think I need some help.

To be absolutely clear this is first time I’ve attempted anything like this and I am a complete beginner. So be gentle with me.

I thought it might be fun to collect up DDDAC parts and cobble together a DDDAC. Through a few generous donations and a few very reasonably priced items I’ve collected together enough parts to effectively make two DAC’s. All of the parts are the older boards and that suits fine I’m sure they can be made into very enjoyable DAC’s.

So here’s the plan:  to build two DAC’s

1. Use the standard power supplies with 4 stack main board and wave I/O board. To make what is effectively a standard 4 stack DDDAC with no mods. I would like it to have a spdif input for a cd transport and I guess the I/O board can do this. Can it?

2. Use the uprated power supplies for 12v and standard 5v to run mainboard with clock mod (effectively making it same spec as new blue board) use a single dac board with tentlab upgrades and wave I/O again with spdif input for cd transport. 

I thought it would be interesting to see what the difference between them would be, if there is any. One being standard but using multiple boards and one having a few mods and a single board.

I also plan to build them both into identical wooden boxes and maybe they can both go to Kegworth next year and you guys can have a blind listen and see which you like best.

one of the standard power supplies has a broken part it is clearly seen in pictures, so I guess that needs a new part, any advice on what it is.

but for now a complete beginner has to get them working, any advice where to start and what to do?

B7_A51_F5_C_6041_440_E_A4_D2_54_C93_D0_E
4_DF44006_8_FC0_4734_986_D_14_E6_B51_D2_
70883_B97_D5_A4_47_B1_8166_97_AD9_C08972
BD8_A6_DEA_4_D38_4304_96_CC_C4854_BF8392
5_BE5_F8_AA_25_D2_4_D07_9_FEF_8_D42_C155
2_E80_C551_C1_D0_494_B_A0_C8_AF4_B65_E7_
550594_BF_3555_445_B_A4_D3_286_FC493_E8_
AF22_BB1_F_ABCB_427_E_A0_AD_4_C00_A48077
A6_E4652_E_E000_442_E_8867_80_A3_EB295_C

• Like 1

Hi Tim.  I’d start with the single board setup, as it looks like it’s ready to go?  Is the broken power supply one of the supplies in the single board setup?  Let’s get that working first and prove everything else in this setup is working. 

James

Hi Tim,
Good idea from James. It looks like a USB only DAC - do you have a PC running Foobar or similar you could use to get it going?
The broken part is a TIP122 power Darlington transistor :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tip122+transistor

Driver for the Wave IO USB board here:
http://www.dddac.com/downloads-links_drivers.html

Edited by Von Krolock
  • Upvote 2

Ok I can start with single board.

i do want to use all upgrades on single board so that will mean swapping out 12v power supply and fitting tentlab’s and modded main board, so a few jobs to do to make it as I envisaged it.

yes the broken tip122 is on the single board set up.

should I repair that first?

Ive never soldered on pc boards so a complete novice, are there a few tools I should collect up? My soldering iron is just a cheap one that is not in a station should I consider a better one for this project or will I manage?

thanks for help so far.

A basic soldering iron should be ok depending on how much work you plan on doing. It's very useful to have both a sharp tip & a straight or chisel tip.
Also bear in mind that some components are connected to large areas of tracking such as a ground plane where more heat is required to flow
the solder - this can be a difficult & frustrating job with a low wattage iron with a small tip. I think the iron I used was 90W.

Other basic tools needed are wire cutters, pliers etc & I've found an illuminated magnifier very useful.
A hot air gun is useful for heat shrink sleeving if you use it.
Try replacing the TIP122 first - or perhaps just swap the PSU over as you have spares - bear in mind one is 12V the other 5V.:)

Edited by Von Krolock
  • Upvote 1

I really want to run it from my CD transport any ideas it that I’d possible with wave I/O board?

as you can see on photo it mentions spdif on the board but I’m not sure if that is an input of not.

The SPDIF is an output, not input Tim.  Or at least that’s what I gleaned from the WaveIO website.

I’d swap the PSU over to prove the single board setup works first.  It’s tempting to start upgrading from the outset, but it makes fault finding very difficult (been there, for the t shirt).  When it’s up and running you can start the upgrade process.

Do you have another 12v power supply?  If so swap it in place of the faulty 12v board.

I’ve done all my DDDAC soldering with a £30 soldering iron.  Granted it’s easier with a more powerful iron but you won’t need to do lots of soldering.  You will also need a multimeter (cheap one from Amazon is fine), pliers, small screwdriver set etc. 

O b***ger

I was hoping for and easy input for a cd input.

looks like have to use a spdif input board , which will complicate maters slightly but I’m sure it can be done.

Edited by Spider

PS fitting the Tentlabs is tricky if you’re not used to soldering.  The hardest part is removing the existing regulators - we can explain how to do this nearer the time.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

O b***ger

looks like have to use 

You need a board to convert SPDIF to I2S. I’ll see if there’s one on eBay 

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

O b***ger

looks like have to use a spdif input board , which will complicate maters slightly but I’m sure it can be done.

Take it in easy steps Tim - if you can, try it with a pc into the USB input to get it going & move on from there.

This will convert SPDIF to I2S:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WM8804-S-PDIF-TOSLINK-to-IIS-Converter-I2S-Codec-Project-integration-DIY-/142617245175?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

£16. Handily it uses a 12v supply as well so you should be able to use the DAC’s 12v supply (the current draw of a single board is low).

1 minute ago, Von Krolock said:

Take it in easy steps Tim - if you can, try it with a pc into the USB input to get it going & move on from there.

Agreed.  Anything that adds complexity should be avoided until the single board setup is working.  It’s so close to being plugged in already :)

What’s that little yellow board Tim?  I can see I2S pins on it.  Is this an SPDIF to I2S board?

Good news Tim.  That yellow board will convert SPDIF to I2S, so you can use a CD player.  This looks like your yellow board:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/AK4113-Digital-receiver-board-SPDIF-to-I2S-converter-softwear-control-LCD-/181846114434?_mwBanner=1

Edited by Brumjam

Yes I think it does the job.

just not sure how it all connects but I’m sure it will work if I can work it out

😀

Got a laptop that can be used to feed dac to get first one going.

after it is working I guess spdif input can be added later.