Sgt Pepper

Printer advice?

epson ecotank et-2660

never ever buy ink cartridges again..you fill the colour tanks yourself..had ours over a year and still at 90% levels.

cost 350 quid but well worth the money..ink cartridges have to be the worlds biggest rip off..slung over 10 printers away over the years as always cheaper just to buy a new printer

Edited by Rudolph Hucker.

Thought you were that rich you'd just employ a scribe to write everything out for you rather than faffing around with a printer ann bottles of ink.

that's how you get rich..dont waste money..i'm the tightest assed bozo you'll ever meet..

i even collect plastic bottles to get the 20p deposit back if i find one..

most self made millionairs are tight bstards..me included..i'm not rich at all ffs..just debt free..not rich..i'm just a working class dude..thing is i'm very clever with the money i do earn.

my pants are only replaced when the holes are bigger than the pant..same with me socks..

i put meself on mega lock down untill i save up enough to get what i want..

i have gone an entire year living on zero..one year and spent nothing..ofc food and bills...but not even a can of coke

Edited by Rudolph Hucker.

Super Wammer
that's how you get rich..dont waste money..i'm the tightest assed bozo you'll ever meet..
i even collect plastic bottles to get the 20p deposit back if i find one..
most self made millionairs are tight bstards..me included..i'm not rich at all ffs..just debt free..not rich..i'm just a working class dude..thing is i'm very clever with the money i do earn.
my pants are only replaced when the holes are bigger than the pant..same with me socks..
i put meself on mega lock down untill i save up enough to get what i want..
i have gone an entire year living on zero..one year and spent nothing..ofc food and bills...but not even a can of coke

Let life be joy unbounded.
  • Haha 2

There are many different label printers now. Every year the price of these printers is getting less and less. Spend a lot of money on sticker printers, think about it, change the printer itself and think about what to do. It is possible to either buy a new printer, or decide with a valuable one with an old one. You don't know a lot about the sticker printer. Almost my acquaintances do not even understand how these printers for labels work and do not even know which is better. I know friends of mine who don't even know about the sticker printer. I know a site that can help you find the best sticker printers. In the future, this will even help you a lot. This site will help you https://www.palmgear.com/best-printer-for-stickers/

Edited by AmeliaHart

welcome , well i dont think they make mine anymore . but it uses 302 ink . one was a envy model and one was a office jet 4658 . both get a fair amount of use and still working perfectly . although the latter is 5 times slower at copying than the envy ! everything else is good  

Here are some long-winded Klassik thoughts about inkjet printers.  :S

About 5 or 6 years ago, I received an HP Officejet Pro 6830 as a gift.  I used that to replace my ancient HP Deskjet 5550C from around 2002 or so.  The series of printers which included that 6830 were the first of HP inkjet printers, that I know of at least, which have the printheads integrated into the printer itself rather than on the cartridges.  The advantage of having the printheads on the printer is that it allows for cheaper ink cartridges and it allowed HP to move away from the tri-colored cartridges and towards individual cartridges for each color.  The disadvantage of the integrated printhead system is that if the printheads get clogged, which is not an uncommon occurrence even after a few weeks of disuse, the whole printer is likely to be toast.  The traditional HP system with the printheads on the cartridge meant that if the printheads got wrecked, all you needed to do was to buy a new cartridge and then you'd be fine. 

Back around 2000 or so, Xerox was playing around with inkjet printers and made a printer which had removable printheads separate from the printer and ink cartridges which could be replaced relatively cheaply.  I suppose this solution made too much sense because I don't think it was used by any other companies and, of course, Xerox did not make ink jet printers for too long.  I did have one of their printers with such a printhead arrangement though, but that's long gone now.

One way printer companies make printers with integrated printheads last longer is to constantly have them run cleaning cycles just about each time the printer is turned on or a print job is requested.  Well, what this does is shoot ink through the printheads to try to keep them clear.  This results in massive amounts of wasted ink which just ends up sitting in a sponge in the printer.  :doh:

Anyway, back to the HP 6830.  After using it for about a year, and liking it for the most part, the printer just stopped working about a month after the warranty expired.  It gave a printhead warning and it seemed the only way to fix the warning was to replace the printer.  :dunno:  Yeah, I wasn't going to buy another London HP like that.  At least at that time, HP still made some inkjets which still had the printheads on the cartridge, but they were lower-end printers with higher per page ink costs.  While I might have been okay with one of those printers, I knew someone who had one and it had the same problem that my 6830 had in that the power supply always made a buzzing noise.  :S  I don't know if HP ever fixed that problem.

So, yeah, Klassik ended up buying a Canon Pixma MX922 printer in 2016 for about $100 from Office Depot and I'm still using it.  I believe that was the top-of-the-line printer from the Pixma range at the time.  I don't think it's still being made, but I still saw them in stores about a year ago so maybe they are still available.  Here are my thoughts about it

Pros

• It's still working perfectly fine after 4+ years.  That's pretty impressive for an inexpensive modern inkjet printer.  :S
  • The actual print quality is quite good as far as I can tell for both text and photos.  There probably are better printers for photos, but this printer is more than good enough for my standards.
  • Supposedly it can print directly to optical discs, but I've never tried that.
  • The auto document feeder for the scanner/copier/hardware fax is actually an automatically duplexing scanner.  That's very helpful when scanning multi-page, double-sided documents.
  • The duplex printing function works well.
  • It doesn't use a touch screen, but rather has several buttons on the front panel.
  • The printer can print directly from a flash drive
  • The printer will continue to print on an ink cartridge deemed to be out of ink if you override it.  Not all printers will allow you to do this and I've gotten hundreds of more pages out of a cartridge in some cases after it was deemed to be out. 
  • The wireless seems to work well for both printing and scanning
  • Although Canon doesn't say much about Linux support like HP does, I can report that the printer and scanner all work well in Linux, even over wireless, without much fiddling

Cons

• The printer is slow!  After you turn it on, it takes a good 4-5 minutes at least before it's in a printable state due it running the aforementioned cleaning cycles and all that.  Then, even after it gets going, the printer is very slow at printing even in fast/draft mode with pure B&W documents.  This printer, even though it's a top of the range model, might be slower than some printers I had around 2000 or so.  At least it's not much slower printing photos in high quality mode than it is printing regular documents. The HP 6830 was, in comparison, much faster.
  • The scanning quality is not great.  I suppose it's sufficient for regular home office use, but sometimes scanned letters have fonts which are light and ill-formed.  The scanning quality on the HP 6830 was better.
  • The calculated ink costs for this printer are quite high compared to other printers that were about the same price, but the fact that it lets one override the out of ink warning might close that gap somewhat.  Also, for some reason, this printer has two black ink cartridges.  One is a dye black for regular text and the other is a pigment black for photo printing.  The need for the extra cartridge only adds to the costs.  But, yeah, the ink cartridges are expensive for this printer even though it doesn't have printheads on the cartridges.
  • As mentioned earlier, even if you don't print that much, even extended life cartridges don't last all that long in this printer because of all the cleaning cycles that the printer runs by itself.:doh:
  • I think some printers may use pigment inks for all their ink cartridges.  This Canon only uses pigment ink, or at least fade resistant dyes, for the color inks.  Thus, prints from this printer might fade quicker than from some other printers if the prints are exposed to UV.  For normal printing, I don't think this really matters.
  • Although my MX922 has not had any issues, the user reviews for this printer online has all kinds of complaints about printhead failure.  So, yeah, maybe the reliability of my machine is just dumb luck.  It probably does help that I do use it at least one a week, or maybe two weeks at the most, and that I use genuine Canon ink cartridges.