Boenicke

1 hour ago, Greg0204 said:

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question: With a semi-active speakers such as the W13, can you choose to bypass the built-in bass amplifier, and have the bass drivers driven by the main amplifier directly, or are the bass drivers entirely dependent on the built-in amplifiers with the pre-amplified signal from the main amplifier?

No you can’t bypass the active bass. The W11 is a passive version of what I think is the same body.  I’m not sure why you would want to bypass it?  The active bass is incredible with its completely sealed unit.

Edited by Duckworp

Good question: I am now the lucky owner of a W13 SE+ but waiting for the mains cables + interconnect to drive the active bass unit. In the meantime, I am listening to a 3 way speakers without the low frequencies and am experimenting with speakers placements but I reckon that without the bass, I must be missing a lot and may get the placement completely wrong.

I find speakers placement a very difficult thing to master, you need a really good ear to distinguish small differences between slightly forward or not, toed in or not. Also something that sounds better initially may end up being slightly more tiring after long listening sessions.

One thing that I find surprising is that in my small room without the active bass unit I can easily play at -30/-20 without it being too loud, and I am driving the speakers with a 2x1,000 watts amplifier.

7 hours ago, Greg0204 said:

I am now the lucky owner of a W13 SE+

Congratulations Greg!  One of the finest speakers in the world. 

Dear all,

We've created and finished a brand new brochure showcasing Boenicke Audio speakers. It's been created in conjunction with Sven, and available now. You can request a download through our website. 

If you're an existing owner please get in touch and we will arrange for a printed version to be sent to you FOC 

Many thanks,

David 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The F5 can drive anything comfortably down to 1 or 2 ohms I think.  Download the manual on First Watt site. All the info you need will be there. M.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, considering relative newness of brand this is a huge fan\owner corner.

Love mine, don’t think I’ve reached the full potential yet.

Hi....I’m thinking of moving over to Vitus to drive my SLS. How do you find

your SIA with your W8s.

8 hours ago, liongate said:

Hi....I’m thinking of moving over to Vitus to drive my SLS. How do you find

your SIA with your W8s.

I demoed the W8 with an SIA025 - it’s a perfect match, the two feel made for each other. Same with the W13 and W5 which I have tried it with.  The SIA030 is even more impressive.

At shows Sven used to run Trilogy amps - so no surprise that these sound excellent with Boenicke.  I ended up driving my W5 with a Trilogy 925 integrated - a fabulous combo.

10 hours ago, Frizbriz said:

Wow, considering relative newness of brand this is a huge fan\owner corner.

Love mine, don’t think I’ve reached the full potential yet.

how long have you been running them?

Hi All 

my Modright KWH225i Integrated Hybrid Amp went in for some updates 11 days ago ..my W8se+ are now feeding off my old Rotel RA-1572 .. same room ..same everything .. I have gone from 4 or 5 hrs of music a day to almost 0 ..

The Boenicke’s are very very very UNHAPPY as am I ..

please do not let your Swiss Happiness In A Box .. feed on less than stellar power ..  

I'd have to fall back to a Quad 306 which I suspect might struggle a tad.

When I say not heard full potential, what I mean is they clearly show and benefit from each system upgrade and I’ve yet to not hear improvement with every upgrade.
 After trying few speakers with 025 found the w8 ticked all my boxes, detail without sterility, musicality, tonally correct,and unfussy about musical styles. And they can boogy, happy to turn up wick without hardness, the way they fill space without giving away their location is spooky.

Went ott on supports but I think it works superbly, tried few options, the 2in thick black walnut bases were ordered from a local carpenter, just add stillpoints and hey presto, not cheap but effective.