11 hours ago, HouseElf said:

Up to £2,000.

That budget is tough if including a DAC as the amp including dac configuration is a fairly recent concept in the quality end of hifi so it excludes most second hand amplification.  I know that it is beyond budget but Hifi News gave a rave review for the Gato Audio DIA-250 NPM this month - another product exclusive to Elite in the UK I believe. At 250W it has enough power for a Boenicke, and it also has a network streamer included. Seems remarkable value for money at £2900.  Review attached. 

085EBE96-82B4-4650-9CA6-337DE7D4B738.jpeg

AEAAFED9-4FC9-40F3-B3AE-418F9AE5A4BE.jpeg

Hundred or two over budget. Appears in the 'gorgeous gadgets' thread, so might be worth a PM to the owner here. No idea what it sounds like, but it does seem to cover all the bases and more: https://nadelectronics.com/product/m10-bluos-streaming-amplifier/

Super Wammer

I would say from experience with W8s that 250w is not enough YMMV

plus  (and I admit this is personal) I not yet heard a Class D that I like and would suspect it would sound harsh with Boenicke speakers IMHO as always

• Like 1

I would say from experience with W8s that 250w is not enough YMMV

plus  (and I admit this is personal) I not yet heard a Class D that I like and would suspect it would sound harsh with Boenicke speakers IMHO as always

I have a class D amp and it doesn't sound harsh at all.

I'm sure it depends on what class D amp you have and also everyone's hearing is different.

I have a Nord amp at the moment (which has recently been superseded) which allows opamps to be changed which changes the character of the sound.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Gato looks stunning - it seems Elite Audio have one on eBay ex-dem so may be worth investigating. 

As with Maverick I haven’t heard a Class D amp that I have particularly enjoyed but must admit it was years ago when I had one at home to try out. 

Super Dealer

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Gato looks stunning - it seems Elite Audio have one on eBay ex-dem so may be worth investigating. 

As with Maverick I haven’t heard a Class D amp that I have particularly enjoyed but must admit it was years ago when I had one at home to try out. 

Class D have come a long way since then.

An owner of the same amp as mine sold his £40,000 amp and kept the Nord!!

1 minute ago, Electric Cafe said:

Class D have come a long way since then.

This.

As most know, my tastes are primarily valves and class A. Yet I have heard a few hypex-based amps that don't sound anything like the first class D stuff. I wouldn't say rule out or rule in until you've tried.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Electric Cafe said:

Not sure how well this will appear. Specs for my amp.1d6b141a552808c18155cae136dcf76d.jpg

Thanks for the information. I believe that Sven regularly uses Class D amps with his speakers. His own amp design is Class D I believe. 

The Nord amps look extremely capable. Definitely worth looking into.

23 hours ago, HouseElf said:

I bought an "Open Box" DIA 250S (without DAC) for £2k, from Elite. I haven't got on with Class D in the past - though it is paired with Harbeth.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

The class or the amplifying elements of any amplifier is a red herring and should never be quoted as a reason for not giving it an audition. I have heard some dreadful Valve amplifiers , I have also heard some that were sublime and made organ donation a consideration to afford them. I have heard some really awful solid state amplifiers that would seer your brain if you listened for more than thirty minutes. I have also heard some solid state amplifiers that sounded so good they could make a strong man (and I am not a strong man) weep .

What an amplifer is constructed of either Valve , Solid State , Class A ,B,D whatever even frankly marshmellows does not matter . What matters is does the design as a whole work , does it make music for you . I have very little experience of class D amplifiers but the same thing will apply . If the designer is good and knows the parts and there strenghts and weakneses then he will make something that will work and sound not just good but really good . Tim P made single ended valve units and solid state singled ended units and his view was they sounded identical and he could not tell the difference . The whole design is the importance not the various elements .

I think the above is also true for Boenicke speakers , they are unique in there make up and design and they are designed with a very single minded view . If your ears warm to that vision then i think there is nothing else around that would do , you would have to have a pair . If not then you will find fault and given the cost you would always be dissapointed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jobseeker said:

Perfectly happy with Class D on Boenicke here :D

Is it Gato you are using?

It was previously Gato, which sounded wonderful. It is now Mytek Brooklyn Amps, one per speaker in monoblock configuration. Interestingly, they also use a Pascal module, though i think it’s a different version to Gato. A natural successor in some ways.