Yes Phil they did. Pop up to Elite Audio if you want to hear a set, they're the UK dealers. Though it sounds like the W8's gave them a good run for their money...

thanks , if it wasn`t a 14  hour return journey i would !!! used to have some rienzi and they were divine [nearly] 

like these 

• Like 1

So, thick decent plinths from say Hi Fi Racks with spikes will cost slightly less than £500. Today, I took delivery of 2 pastry boards £18 each from Amazon and a set of spikes £12....so a total cost of under £50....10 times less! Ok, not the most attractive, but in the evening (when I listen most often)...who cares. Will do until I have cash to get proper plinths from Knipester....

Base.jpeg

Base2.jpeg

• Like 1

Super Wammer

And you can knock up a couple of tarts afterwards. :geek:

• Haha 3

Granite chopping boards from Argos also work well as plinths for the W8. £9 each!  For the W13 they were unfortunately not large enough - I found a company called David Mellor (who was one of Britain’s greatest industrial designers) which have a retail shop selling marble chopping boards exactly the right size for a W11/W13 with swing base. 

0DB10419-4D56-4F49-9AA8-21B06E7069A5.jpeg

Edited by Duckworp

Granite chopping boards from Argos also work well as plinths for the W8. £9 each!  For the W13 they were unfortunately not large enough - I found a company called David Mellor (who was one of Britain’s greatest industrial designers) which have a retail shop selling marble chopping boards exactly the right size for a W11/W13 with swing base. 

Not seeing them on the site under boards? Having them on plinths has improved the bass.....by quite a bit! 

And you can knock up a couple of tarts afterwards. :geek:

OK ..I think there BRILLIANT ! Might I make a suggestion of purely Aesthetic nature !?!?  Have you thought about making them match the dark floor ? I think if you did ..the Boenicke’s would appear to float ..or at the least there WOOD ..would BE more prominent and not jar the eye as much ..

Once a Photographer always looking and trying to change the World to what I see in my head ..I could be 100% incorrect ..try slipping coloured cardboard or fabric for a temporary mock up ..I am Very jealous ..I may after upgrading every other single item in my system GO for it and say Screw my small space and do the W8se+ version ..and live on A stockpile of fancy cat food and saltines for awhile 

Not seeing them on the site under boards? Having them on plinths has improved the bass.....by quite a bit! 

Argos call them worktop savers. £11.50 now. 
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8478919

David Mellor ones for W11/13 are pricier (though thicker too):

https://www.davidmellordesign.com/carrara-marble-serving-pastry-slab-david-mellor

Edited by Duckworp
  • Like 1

OK ..I think there BRILLIANT ! Might I make a suggestion of purely Aesthetic nature !?!?  Have you thought about making them match the dark floor ? I think if you did ..the Boenicke’s would appear to float ..or at the least there WOOD ..would BE more prominent and not jar the eye as much ..

Once a Photographer always looking and trying to change the World to what I see in my head ..I could be 100% incorrect ..try slipping coloured cardboard or fabric for a temporary mock up ..I am Very jealous ..I may after upgrading every other single item in my system GO for it and say Screw my small space and do the W8se+ version ..and live on A stockpile of fancy cat food and saltines for awhile 

I totally agree, I really just wanted them off the carpet and onto a more stable platform. I will eventually find a better set of plinths, but your suggestion may still be worth doing...a couple of tins of spray paint ought to do it. Cheers

Super Wammer

A new abode, a new listening experience. After a week or so settling in the W5SEs are

again finding their voice. It is their natural tone that appeals most. I find R3 live broadcasts

the best I’ve heard.

65CA3F86-1FDB-44A2-B605-24B9E267FCC7.jpeg

• Like 3

Have you tried any toe in on W5’s ?

mine are .

and what are you powering yours with ..this is my next purchase ..to replace my Rotel 1572  with something more worthy of powering the Boenicke w5 ‘s 

i have a similar set up with speakers about the same distance from each other and from listening position 

F42B31E7-929E-442F-80D1-35C618D57C10.jpeg

Edited by Mark Hall

Super Wammer

Hi, I find the distance of the speakers from the listening

position and the distance of the speakers from the back

and side walls more critical to the overall sound than toe in.

However I’m still in the process of tweaking their position.

The amplifier is a Allnic T2000 valve amp that outputs about 70watts, but delivers

plenty of current and to me sounds quite capable of driving the W5s without any issues.

Cheers

I'm now 6 weeks into W5SE+ ownership.

I started with my Tron Atlantic 300B power amp, which although ran out of steam ( a massive 9 watts) made a truly lovely sound with them.

I progressed various routes, tried a few things - ended up with a single Mytek Brooklyn Amp, fed by a Manhattan II DAC, itself fed by a dCS Network Bridge.

This is the combo (until I get a 2nd Brooklyn Amp!!). What I've noticed more than anything is the way the speakers are changing - i know a lot of comment has been made about running in, well, it's all true! They change considerably with time and use.

The noise these things emit simply beggars belief!

Edited by sumofnoparts

Super Wammer
49 minutes ago, sumofnoparts said:

I'm now 6 weeks into W5SE+ ownership.

I started with my Tron Atlantic 300B power amp, which although ran out of steam ( a massive 9 watts) made a truly lovely sound with them.

I progressed various routes, tried a few things - ended up with a single Mytek Brooklyn Amp, fed by a Manhattan II DAC, itself fed by a dCS Network Bridge.

This is the combo (until I get a 2nd Brooklyn Amp!!). What I've noticed more than anything is the way the speakers are changing - i know a lot of comment has been made about running in, well, it's all true! They change considerably with time and use.

The noise these things emit simply beggars belief!

Lee, very glad that you are clearly very happy. I have a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ here and I like it a lot (I auditioned a few at Elite's place, this won)

Yes they change considerably as time passes.    I think the natural wood must also be involved as wood changes naturally.   Over time I start to relate to my Boenickes as musical instruments rather than loudspeakers.

Edited by Duckworp