Sign in to follow this  
Tune

Probably The Best All Round Music System I'll Ever Hear.

Probably The Best All Round Music System I'll ever hear.

Title says it all. Devialet 400's powering JBL K2 9800 in the size of room that suits the speaker's bottom end perfectly.

I've bought and sold over £250k of audio over the past 25 years. I'll be buried in these loudspeakers and stopped even looking at audio once I found these. Simply better than anything I had before. Superb at all levels and with all kinds of music.

Forget so much of the BS. Just save up for a pair of loudspeakers of similar pedigree that are suited to your listening space. Then find a way to power them properly. Simples.

• Like 1

I am not sure what your saying is true. Of course what it needs is a listen to prove it......!!!!!!!😀😗

• Upvote 1

I won't be the only one to say this. Vox Olympian and Kondo. I've heard it twice now and I doubt I will ever hear music like it anywhere else. 

I have heard quite a lot over the years. Nothing, nothing comes close.

On 28/05/2018 at 05:31, Tune said:

I'll be buried in these loudspeakers

May you rest in pieces     :)

• Haha 1

On 28/05/2018 at 19:37, rabski said:

I won't be the only one to say this. Vox Olympian and Kondo. I've heard it twice now and I doubt I will ever hear music like it anywhere else. 

Hmm. IME it rather depends what you want to listen to. The Kondo systems I have listened to, both at Kevin's and in Japan, are quite remarkable when it comes to the colour of acoustic instrumentation and human voice as well as being dynamically realistic. I find them less enjoyable with a number of more modern genres and recordings which is why I would not choose such a setup even were I to be an oligach of some standing. I've owned some Kondo over the years and undoubtedly you need to go for a Kondo system approach rather than trying to slip the odd component into an existing set up.

The JBL's play pretty much everything, at any level, with a more captivating combination of tonal balance and dynamics (both micro and macro) than I have heard in my room from anything regardless of price. They are, if you like, the ultimate music lover's speaker - or one of them.

Edited by Tune

On 27/05/2018 at 13:31, Tune said:

Probablement le meilleur système de musique polyvalent que j'aurai jamais entendu.

Le titre dit tout. Le Devialet 400 alimente le JBL K2 9800 dans la taille de la pièce qui convient parfaitement à l'extrémité inférieure de l'enceinte.

J'ai acheté et vendu plus de 250 000 £ d'audio au cours des 25 dernières années. Je serai enterré dans ces haut-parleurs et arrêterai même de regarder l'audio une fois que je les aurai trouvés. Tout simplement mieux que tout ce que j'avais auparavant. Superbe à tous les niveaux et avec toutes sortes de musiques.

Oubliez tellement la BS. Économisez simplement pour une paire d'enceintes de pedigree similaire qui sont adaptées à votre espace d'écoute. Trouvez ensuite un moyen de les alimenter correctement. Simples.

So you should go listen to the Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirit and I am sure you would like to be dug up and then buried again but in the G1 Spirit which will make you find your vulgar, slow and soft jbl ...! 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 28/05/2018 at 19:37, rabski said:

Wonderful with simple recordings, especially female vocals and single instruments, but I found them coloured and slow when playing more rhythmically demanding stuff. All in my personal view, of course. We can measure all we like but we have not worked out a measurement for the brain's interpretation of the sound our ears have heard!

Edited by oldius
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The best I have heard at a show was a Solution pre-amp and active ATC - 150 ASL, I think. That played everything with total control, neutrality and rhythmic prowess.

On 27/05/2018 at 18:31, Tune said:

Probably The Best All Round Music System I'll ever hear.

Title says it all. Devialet 400's powering JBL K2 9800 in the size of room that suits the speaker's bottom end perfectly.

I've bought and sold over £250k of audio over the past 25 years. I'll be buried in these loudspeakers and stopped even looking at audio once I found these. Simply better than anything I had before. Superb at all levels and with all kinds of music.

Forget so much of the BS. Just save up for a pair of loudspeakers of similar pedigree that are suited to your listening space. Then find a way to power them properly. Simples.

I like big JBL speakers very much. I heard a Levinson integrated powering some bigger JBLs and it was marvellous. I tried to look up the model number today and their website suggests no availability in the EU. The US site redirects you straight to the EU one and no availability. What a shame as I have enjoyed every pair of JBL I have owned.

The k2 9800 is about 14 years old now - it is still Paul Messenger's favourite speaker. The design ideals at 60 years old. The materials used 40 years old. Loudspeakers don't really seem to move forward in a meaningful way - outboard DSP being an exception for some.

It was replaced by the k2 9800se which was basically the same with various, high gloss wood veneers. Then the K2 9900 was launched, which replaced the 3" Be driver with a 4" Mag driver arrived about 10 years ago and remains in production AFAIK. The newer k2 9900 is very expensive but IME still represents real high end value compared with a lot of high end bling. The k29800 was the last reference design by Greg Timbers - the legendary JBL monitor engineer of some 40 years.

They also produce the Everest range which teams the 4" compression driver with 2 x 15's. It's really not suited to most British rooms IME.

2 hours ago, Tune said:

The k2 9800 is about 14 years old now - it is still Paul Messenger's favourite speaker. The design ideals at 60 years old. The materials used 40 years old. Loudspeakers don't really seem to move forward in a meaningful way - outboard DSP being an exception for some.

It was replaced by the k2 9800se which was basically the same with various, high gloss wood veneers. Then the K2 9900 was launched, which replaced the 3" Be driver with a 4" Mag driver arrived about 10 years ago and remains in production AFAIK. The newer k2 9900 is very expensive but IME still represents real high end value compared with a lot of high end bling. The k29800 was the last reference design by Greg Timbers - the legendary JBL monitor engineer of some 40 years.

They also produce the Everest range which teams the 4" compression driver with 2 x 15's. It's really not suited to most British rooms IME.

Bizarrely, there is a site called jblsynthesis.com that has the range that doesn't show on jbl.com oe eu.jbl.com!

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 10:53, oldius said:

Bizarrely, there is a site called jblsynthesis.com that has the range that doesn't show on jbl.com oe eu.jbl.com!

Yeh. I don't know if they are still selling the top models in the UK. I imagine they probably sold about 20 pairs in 20 years. They appear to be somewhat impossible to find.

Someone asked me to describe them the other day. People often imagine a sound that is the complete opposite of their actual output.

They don't sound like a BIG speaker - like B&W 800 Series. The best way to describe them is like a Quad ESL with real balls. The entire frequency range reminds me of a stacked pair of 57's with their clarity and precision - both tonal and image wise. The difference with the JBL is that they have the same qualities in room down to about 25hz and go stupidly loud with that same timbral accuracy you hear from a really good electrostatic.

Super Wammer
15 hours ago, Tune said:

Yeh. I don't know if they are still selling the top models in the UK. I imagine they probably sold about 20 pairs in 20 years. They appear to be somewhat impossible to find.

Someone asked me to describe them the other day. People often imagine a sound that is the complete opposite of their actual output.

They don't sound like a BIG speaker - like B&W 800 Series. The best way to describe them is like a Quad ESL with real balls. The entire frequency range reminds me of a stacked pair of 57's with their clarity and precision - both tonal and image wise. The difference with the JBL is that they have the same qualities in room down to about 25hz and go stupidly loud with that same timbral accuracy you hear from a really good electrostatic.

I would suggest, that some of what you are hearing is also down to the class D amplification, which to my ears has come of age, and gives detail, clarity, bass and grip in spades.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Combo of Audio Note UK and KONDO. I have not heard a system which touches this, in the way music is presented. Such deeply rich tone. It is ‘extra ordinary’ and luscious! Of course, not everyone’s cup of tea. 

Edited by marko
  • Like 1