Sign in to follow this  
Sgt Pepper

Jazz Newbie

Might be worth you checking this out if you haven't done so already.

R-1768661-1346318686-3075.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

I found Monk difficult when I started listening to jazz. Maybe I just happened on some bad recordings, they all sounded quite thin and distant. I like to dip into his catalogue now and then, and he always makes me grin. I often think of the old quote that I heard about his style from an old sidekick, “I played with guys that played on the white keys, and I played with guys that played on the black keys. Monk played on the cracks between the keys.” (Or something like that).

• Like 1

On 16/07/2018 at 14:32, thickmike said:

I found Monk difficult when I started listening to jazz. Maybe I just happened on some bad recordings, they all sounded quite thin and distant. I like to dip into his catalogue now and then, and he always makes me grin. I often think of the old quote that I heard about his style from an old sidekick, “I played with guys that played on the white keys, and I played with guys that played on the black keys. Monk played on the cracks between the keys.” (Or something like that).

Have you got any recommendations?

Super Wammer

Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Art Pepper, Lou Donaldson, Ben Webster, Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, John Coltrane are all worth a try. 

• Like 2

Also check out the scandanavian / german talent ...on the ..ecm and act music labels.

nicely produced and quality abounds .

• Like 1

On 18/07/2018 at 13:53, Sgt Pepper said:

Have you got any recommendations?

I like the gloriously named Genius of Modern Music vol 1 & 2

can you imagine someone releasing an album with that title today? :D

9 hours ago, greybeard said:

Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Art Pepper, Lou Donaldson, Ben Webster, Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, John Coltrane are all worth a try. 

My Favourite Things is a good place to start with Coltrane. If you jump into A Love Supreme straight away, it can be pretty scary! Not to mention some of his more way out stuff.

Brubeck is a nice entry point too, melodic and lots of his stuff really swings. Time Out (obvs!) and my favourite Time In are both brilliant and accessible.

Kind of Blue is the king of jazz LPs IMHO, just timeless and utterly listenable, but complex. I could listen to it every day and no5 ge5 bored with it.

Blues by Kenny Burrel is good too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oscar Peterson is good stuff too, and very accessible. 

• Like 1

Monk’s Dream! I forgot 😊

Plus he looks super cool on the cover. I’m sure  Idris Elba bases some of his style on Monk, he wishes he was as cool 😎 

Edited by thickmike
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

I have just bought this box set of Art Pepper, some classic albums on this and a great buy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010CG29Y6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

These guys are well worth a listen too, but their CDs aren't easy to get hold of:

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 19/07/2018 at 20:02, deggie said:

Also check out the scandanavian / german talent ...on the ..ecm and act music labels.

nicely produced and quality abounds .

Good recommendation. Some names to watch out for include EST, Tord Gustavsen, Daniel Heskedal, Marius Neset, Eyolf Dale, Nils Pedder Milvaer to name but a few !

Some contemporary home-grown talent includes Dinosaur, Get The Blessing, Tori Freestone, Polar Bear, Sons of Kemet, Neil Cowley Trio.

ACT and ECM are definitely good European labels, also try UK labels like Edition who have a great roster of bands including some of the ones I've mentioned above.

k

• Like 2

do not miss out on trumpet players  of the highest order … Freddie hubbard,  art farmer , chet baker and the unmissable youngster who passed away at only 25 yrs …. Clifford brown.

• Like 1

Charlie Haden's base playing is a really good link into a few areas of Jazz from Pat Metheny to Don Cherry to Keith Jarrett  to Ornette Coleman even to Beck (Odelay) - an hour or 2 on youtube or your favourite streaming service + his discography could send you in all kinds of directions.

Edited by foxbat
can't spell!
  • Like 2