Sgt Pepper

Ford Focus 1.0 ECO Boost Titanium

Just an update on the Ford Eco Boost engine failures , some good news for a change !

Ford have admitted there is a problem and will compensate owners who have experienced this very common and costly fault.

I have been warning people about the fragility of these engines for quite some time , they go from good to blown in seconds often without warning.

I have had several customers of mine that have had to have replacement engines fitted.

My advice is to avoid any car fitted with the Eco boost engine especially if it is out of warranty and definitely not second hand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45628325

On 01/10/2018 at 09:29, Electro said:

Just an update on the Ford Eco Boost engine failures , some good news for a change !

Ford have admitted there is a problem and will compensate owners who have experienced this very common and costly fault.

I have been warning people about the fragility of these engines for quite some time , they go from good to blown in seconds often without warning.

I have had several customers of mine that have had to have replacement engines fitted.

My advice is to avoid any car fitted with the Eco boost engine especially if it is out of warranty and definitely not second hand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45628325

Not sure what manufacturer hasn't had issues. Most have either had vehicle recalls or dealership reimbursements.... 

11 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Not sure what manufacturer hasn't had issues. Most have either had vehicle recalls or dealership reimbursements.... 

True, but this is a major fault that has costs many thousands to repair and even the replacement engines have failed in less than 30,000 miles.

One of my customers chose to scrap his Ford Kuga after the second engine self destructed, he could not justify the cost of a third engine replacement.

I doubt Ford will compensate him for that .

1 hour ago, Electro said:

True, but this is a major fault that has costs many thousands to repair and even the replacement engines have failed in less than 30,000 miles.

One of my customers chose to scrap his Ford Kuga after the second engine self destructed, he could not justify the cost of a third engine replacement.

Is it not covered by the sale of goods act? You have upto 6 years to claim for faulty goods? I'm sure Ford would not want the adverse publicity if he took them to court.

I had a Ford once, worst car I have ever had, put me off Fords for life. 

• Like 1

This Ford Focus is one great car to drive, infarct I would say out of all the family cars I have had its been the best.........so far.:nerves: 

11 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

This Ford Focus is one great car to drive, infarct I would say out of all the family cars I have had its been the best.........so far.:nerves: 

OK good luck, I'm sure they have improved in recent years, just could not believe how bad my was.

I do have reservations about putting small tuned up engines in large cars. 

21 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Is it not covered by the sale of goods act? You have upto 6 years to claim for faulty goods? I'm sure Ford would not want the adverse publicity if he took them to court.

Its only now after years of private litigations, thousands of unhappy customers and industry pressure that Ford have actually acknowledged there has been a problem. They argued that a recall fix would repair and protect this engine, lots of people had the fix and their engines blew up. There are lots of examples of people paying for new engines and the same happening again - just as described in this thread. It didn't. I've spent a couple of years and not an inconsideable amount of money arguing the toss with Ford who have the most objectionable, intransigent customer service people I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. I accept that it isn't the people themselves but a company position which their unfortunate staff just 'deny everything'.

I saw the news that they would compensate. They have consistently denied responsibility or the existence of any manufacturing faults in letters to my Solicitor so it will be fascinating to see their 'reversal' letter and what offer they make.

I know in the greater scope of things only a small number of customers are affected but believe me if you are one of them and you get the runaround from the company for two years only to find out they are reversing their position entirely a couple of years later it stinks.

And would I have another one of thee turbo-boosted smaller engines - not a chance. And would I deal with or drive Ford again - absolutely not. I said earlier in this thread this biggest test of any manufacturer is what their response is to problems and how they deal with it. The Ecoboost situation is a real sorry state of affairs and Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

4 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

Its only now after years of private litigations, thousands of unhappy customers and industry pressure that Ford have actually acknowledged there has been a problem. They argued that a recall fix would repair and protect this engine, lots of people had the fix and their engines blew up. There are lots of examples of people paying for new engines and the same happening again - just as described in this thread. It didn't. I've spent a couple of years and not an inconsideable amount of money arguing the toss with Ford who have the most objectionable, intransigent customer service people I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. I accept that it isn't the people themselves but a company position which their unfortunate staff just 'deny everything'.

I saw the news that they would compensate. They have consistently denied responsibility or the existence of any manufacturing faults in letters to my Solicitor so it will be fascinating to see their 'reversal' letter and what offer they make.

I know in the greater scope of things only a small number of customers are affected but believe me if you are one of them and you get the runaround from the company for two years only to find out they are reversing their position entirely a couple of years later it stinks.

And would I have another one of thee turbo-boosted smaller engines - not a chance. And would I deal with or drive Ford again - absolutely not. I said earlier in this thread this biggest test of any manufacturer is what their response is to problems and how they deal with it. The Ecoboost situation is a real sorry state of affairs and Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

I see, I hope you get a decent pay out. I have come across this Ford attitude before when there was a problem with Transit vans: http://www.whatvan.co.uk/news/2009/transit-sportvan-owners-in-ford-hq-protest

55 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

My bro has a 1.0 l Eco boost, and his has been fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Electro said:

So is it as bad as this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/vauxhall-zafira-car-fires-dvsa-investigation-transport-committee-a8334266.html

1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

From memory this was caused by the heater blower resistors getting too hot and in extreme cases causing a fire .

This sort of fault is caused by cheaply made under spec electrical parts that are the bane of many a new car, it is quite a common fault on many different makes of car were I have to replace the resistor pack also a length of wire and the connecting plug because the plug and wire have melted back into the loom. Cheap nasty plastic cased blower motors are often the initial cause as the bearings seize up and melt the bearing housing and placing a higher than normal current demand on the resistors.

In my job I come across many newish cars with electrical problems where the quality of connectors and components is shocking especially in Can Bus regulated vehicles.

... and not forgetting the spontaneously combusting BMW Mini's. Seems like a rather common problem, good job I've got that fire extinguisher to protect me B|

" Ford says that 44,682 Ford cars with the three-cylinder turbocharged 1.0-litre engine produced between October 2011 and October 2013 were fitted with a nylon coolant pipe between the engine and coolant tank that had the potential to fail at high temperatures".

Mine is the 2015 model?