Transporter’s dead. What now?

6 hours ago, Getgaff said:

The Transporter’s digital output are simultaneous and I have mine hooked up to a number of DACs

• BNC output to a Chord Qutest
  • Coax output to a Beresford Caiman SEG
  • Optical output to a Oppo 205

It’s a very versatile device and a Roon endpoint 

That's interesting.  Any comments that you could share about how the various DACs compare with that of the Transporter?

On 12/08/2018 at 22:04, TheFlash said:

"Transporter" is a strange word for what sounds like a streamer - is that what it is?

Yes - it was the Slim Devices/Logitech top of the range streamer. Predates the SBT IIRC.

7 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Yes - it was the Slim Devices/Logitech top of the range streamer. Predates the SBT IIRC.

Thanks Tony.

• Upvote 1
On 12/08/2018 at 21:33, Deadhead said:

I’ve cancelled the order. Mostly because they wanted £20 to post it to me. I live in France. If you think that will cover it and you message me with your details I’ll happily put £10 in your bank account for postage and your trouble. 

On it's way to you .....

Wee curve ball here, have you considered a Raspberry Pi with Volumio?

Nice browser based interface, can be left on all the time (consumption is about 4 watts), no faffing with Linux, and will cost about £35 plus the cost of a hard drive.

I use both of mine with a portable HD plugged directly in, although they will run off a NAS etc, and a cable direct to the DAC so the 'sound' (ie digits) do not travel over the wireless, just the control of the server.

Just because its small & inexpensive does not mean its not very very good, after all servers in all price ranges are really just small computers, and 99% of the sound lives in the DAC.

And if you don't like it, you can use the analogue out, and have music in the kitchen or somesuch.

Edited by karlinamillion
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the circuit board arrived.  Thanks v much killie99, if you message me with your details I'll pay your postage.  However, the transporter remains dead.  This might of course be down to my cack-handedness.  

Anyway I've bought an Oppo 105 on the auction site.  Waiting for it to arrive.  I suspect though that I might also need to invest in one of those raspberry streamer thingies as well.

That’s a bummer. Have you checked the internal fuse? 5x20mm 500mA slo-blow.

EDIT: Just found this, worth a read perhaps?

https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2017/12/logitech-slimdevices-transporter-repair.html

Also try the ‘xilix’ reset:

To perform a xilix reset to the microcode in the Transporter:

• power the Transporter off
  • press the 1 (one) key on the remote
  • power the Transporter on
Edited by Getgaff
Well the circuit board arrived.  Thanks v much killie99, if you message me with your details I'll pay your postage.  However, the transporter remains dead.  This might of course be down to my cack-handedness.  
Anyway I've bought an Oppo 105 on the auction site.  Waiting for it to arrive.  I suspect though that I might also need to invest in one of those raspberry streamer thingies as well.

I’ve got a raspberry streamer thingy if you want to borrow it? Should be just PnP setup to be a Roon Endpoint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
15 hours ago, aswillman said:

I’ve got a raspberry streamer thingy if you want to borrow it? Should be just PnP setup to be a Roon Endpoint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats a kind offer.  I'm in France so maybe that's a bit far away for you.  Also the Oppo hasn't yet been posted so it'll be a while before it gets here.

I lusted over the Transporter for years..

To back up a few offers of an RPi with Roon etc will see off many 'boutique' streamers out there. You can either use a 'top hat' DAC or use any USB DAC out there.

I run an RPi 3 USB to Arcam RDAC running MoOde and it is brilliant, cost less than £50 for Pi and case. 

Good luck with yourOppo purchase thoughB| 

Whatever you do please do not just bin the transporter if you do not want to have it repaired. I for one (and I am sure there will be others) would love to buy it even not working and get it fixed.

List it in the Classifieds if you decide not to get it repaired yourself.

So, the Oppo arrived today. And I’ve been playing (more struggling, really) with it all day. I have it plugged into my pre (balanced, for what it’s worth) and into my router which also lives in the same corner. Plays DVDs very nicely. Don’t have any blu-rays.

Streaming was a bit of a challenge. Roon couldn’t see it and nor could the trial Audivarna that I downloaded. Tried Twonky on the Mac and hooray, we had music. The interface was pretty clunky though. And I couldn’t find a decent app for the iPad. 

On to JRiver which, so far, seems to do it all.   I’m open to suggestions about how to make this all work better. 

I have to say that operating as a DAC the OPPO 105 sounds pretty good. It’s been a couple of weeks since I last listened to the Transporter so I’m relying on memory, but I’d say it’s quite an improvement. More detail, but that could be because I’m listening particularly carefully. What there is though is quite a lot more bass and and more pace. 

For the moment you can colour me happy. 

The 105 won't be seen by Roon unless it is Airplay enabled. Only the latest Oppo players are Roon capable without an intermediary like a Raspberry Pi.

No decent app for the Oppo if my memory serves and the official one is indeed clunky; I don’t use it. And the 105 unfortunately isn’t a Roon endpoint, hence why Roon can’t/won’t see it.

The 105 does sound lovely though, sweeter than the 205 IMO. I took to my 105 but that was sold to make way for a 205 and that just doesn’t engage me in the same way.

Airplay is strictly 16 bit, so if you have hi-res files they'll get altered.