Blacksabbath25

What films have you watched this week

Yes, I'd heard that Hungarian and Finnish were related due to Genghis Khan veering off course. Why it didn't affect the countries in between Hungary and Finland may remain a mystery.

7 minutes ago, bohemian said:

Just as an example, the masculine animate noun “pes” means dog, but the word changes as it is used in different parts of speech as follows:

Substantivum.           singulár                  plurál

nominativ.                      pes.                   psi / psové

genitiv.                            psa.                       psů

dativ.                        psovi / psu.              psům

akuzativ.                       psa.                         psy

vokativ.                        pse.                    psi / psové

lokál.                       psovi / psu.              psech

instrumentál.            psem.                        psy

So “I have a dog” (accusative case singular). “mám psa.”, but “a dog” or “the dog” is “pes”.

“I gave meat to the dogs”  “Dál jsem psům maso.” To the dogs is dativ case.

Remembering these things can be a challenge.

I thought conjugating verbs in French was bad enough.

4-5 years of French in school and all we can talk about is a bloody monkey up a tree. The upshot of this was Nicholas Cryer was nicknamed singe after Nikki the monkey in the French text book.

Edited by Pete the Feet
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

WOODY ALLEN Deconstructing Harry (1997)

This film started with over the top energy, vulgarity and Allen's standard humour but settled down into a classic introspective Allen film where the lines are intentionally blurred between his fictional alter ego, his own character and his real life. Grade A.

MV5BZjE0MTk4MDAtZmFiYS00ZDJjLTgzOGYtMWU0

Allen's referencing himself as a 'self-loathing' Jew was interesting given that it was so long ago in the light of the similar term used against those who object to the excesses of neo-liberalism nowadays. I suppose it must be a label which gets attached to any Jew who doesn't follow what some deem to be how a Jew should behave. I don't know but the very act of using this term on someone else appears to be anti-Semitic.

Edited by Simon Simon Shobert

I watched Le Tracassin (ou les plaisirs de la ville) starring the excellent André Bourvil, known just by his surname. If someone can find subtitles it's well worth watching, and all those familiar with French can go straight ahead if you've not already seen it.

This is Bourvil playing the type of role he is best known for now: a harried man prone to mishaps and victim of social complications. A character he would bring to perfection in Le Corniaud with Louis de Funes. In Le Tracassin he moves from one minor disaster to another as he simply tries to arrange his life to move in with his fiancée. Getting multiple parking tickets, roped into helping a women about to give birth; forced into having to stand and eat a meal because there are no free seats at a restaurant...

The silent film-style sight gags, of which there are many, are the work of Asterix writer René Goscinny.

• Like 1

The English Patient

Easy Rider , wish it had a better ending .

What We Did On Our Holiday

funny and moving too.  David Tennant, Rosamund Pike, Billy Connolly.

On 11/01/2021 at 17:31, bohemian said:

The English Patient

Very apt given your circumstances. I hope you're feeling better.

• Like 1

Summerland 

This was my wife's choice but was easy and enjoyable to watch. Thought it nicely produced as well.

Edited by JamieMcC