Chord Qutest with linear PSU?

QuestForThe13thNote

It’s worth a go on one of those mcru ones at a few hundred quid if he will do sale and return if it’s no good. But on this battery test I’m a bit dubious of a linear psu given how marginal. Trying one on an auralic Aries le (sbooster) it made an ok difference to the wallwart plug but if chord say the Qutest is designed with supplied plug, given this battery test I kind of believe them.

26 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

It’s worth a go on one of those mcru ones at a few hundred quid if he will do sale and return if it’s no good. But on this battery test I’m a bit dubious of a linear psu given how marginal. Trying one on an auralic Aries le (sbooster) it made an ok difference to the wallwart plug but if chord say the Qutest is designed with supplied plug, given this battery test I kind of believe them.

In this particular case I can't help thinking those funds would be better directed elsewhere.

1 minute ago, bigfool1956 said:

In this particular case I can't help thinking those funds would be better directed elsewhere.

Yes one of these I’m itching to buy ; http://www.bryston.com/products/pre_amps/BP17-3.html

D2C00712-36BD-4E16-9D80-C89DA8FCBF05.jpeg

I'm quite surprised you don't seem to have looked into a Devialet, I think it would suit you very well, and you could sell every other box and cable you own a[art from your speakers.

Don’t need to sell speakers, power amps or my sources and dac . It’s just I need a richer refined pre and the Bryston ticks that box. Best to keep it all separate which tends to get best sq I think David. 

Well I tend to agree, but as far as I can see from owners' reports and magazine reviews, the Devialet bucks the trend. Having said that, it's pretty much end game, as there's nothing to left to box-swap :D 

Anyway it was just a suggestion which you might not have considered.

• Upvote 1

I had a 2qute and the  added a MCRU power supply and I was surprised at the improvement.

Whilst still having the 2qute I bought a Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre Thunderbolt ADC/DAC for studio work, discounted from £999 to £579. I had my Node 2 going to the 2Qute via spdif, which sounded a lot better than USB from my MAC. I tried the Node 2 going into the Focusrite spdif and it literally blew the 2Qute out the water. The focus and definition and bass clarity, everything was way better. The Focusrite just got out the way and let the music play. I was shocked because I thought the 2Qute would be better. I'm an ex mastering engineer and used to do a lot of demoing of converters, and the Focusrite is something special. Doesn't do DSD, and just goes up to 192khz.24bit, but you can also play from Mac via Thunderbolt. I don't care if it doesn't do DSD when it sounds this good.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am late in this discussion, but I want to share my experience.  There those who are looking for information and experience just like I did to determine if it is worth getting a linear power supply for the Chord Qutest.

I am using SBooster for my DAC Qutest which is connected to a Naim CD5XS and Node 2i.  My impression, I did notice a difference in sound. Could it be by removing noise or better performance, it really does not matter to me.  I just noticed an improvement in sound and I recommend the cost of a good power supply.  Power is a really important to audio equipment along with good earth.  Good investment in equipment requires to consider good power source!  I hope this helps!

I am enjoying my digital experience again.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Reading this topic, I want to run my Qutest off a battery, just to try if there’s a difference.

I’m wondering though, should I use the battery on its own? What if I charge the battery and run the qutest from it at the same time? Will that theoretically introduce RF again?

I recently upgraded to the MCRU linear PSU from the IFI iPower on my Qutest and noticed quite a uptick in sound quality. More resolution and focus to the sound, better timing and slightly more low end. Definitely worth the money IMHO.

I found that the MCRU PS brought about a subtle improvement to the Qutest.  I recently replaced in with the Sbooster and the improvement is significant.  So impressed am I that I am thinking of getting a Sbooster to replace the Chord PS on my Mscaler and also replacing the MCRU one on my streamer.

9 hours ago, ziggy said:

I found that the MCRU PS brought about a subtle improvement to the Qutest.  I recently replaced in with the Sbooster and the improvement is significant.

That reflects what I also heard with my Qutest. Consider getting the Ultra Mk2 upgrade for the SBooster which I used and thought worthwhile.

2 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

That reflects what I also heard with my Qutest. Consider getting the Ultra Mk2 upgrade for the SBooster which I used and thought worthwhile.

I have the Ultra Mk 2 on order, expected in July.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2018 at 22:19, Timbo21 said:

I had a 2qute and the  added a MCRU power supply and I was surprised at the improvement.

Whilst still having the 2qute I bought a Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre Thunderbolt ADC/DAC for studio work, discounted from £999 to £579. I had my Node 2 going to the 2Qute via spdif, which sounded a lot better than USB from my MAC. I tried the Node 2 going into the Focusrite spdif and it literally blew the 2Qute out the water. The focus and definition and bass clarity, everything was way better. The Focusrite just got out the way and let the music play. I was shocked because I thought the 2Qute would be better. I'm an ex mastering engineer and used to do a lot of demoing of converters, and the Focusrite is something special. Doesn't do DSD, and just goes up to 192khz.24bit, but you can also play from Mac via Thunderbolt. I don't care if it doesn't do DSD when it sounds this good.

Well I had to google this Focusrite didn't I. Having just seen a picture of it, I would find it hard to incorporate into a home set-up on it looks, although pleased you are enjoying it.