plasticpenguin

Cd player advice

Well, well...

The demo of the Dac, due to home and work commitments, has been hit and miss. Quite impressed but will give a belt and braces appraisal later today. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

These things cant be rushed! :)

Nop. Just come back from shopping.... all the best things comes to those who wait (so I'm told).

But I'm a s##t reviewer, so.... ;)

49 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Nop. Just come back from shopping.... all the best things comes to those who wait (so I'm told).

But I'm a s##t reviewer, so.... ;)

Dont worry we are not marking you on your reviewing. Anyway you cant be any worse than these guys :D

30971045968_9a904b2c8e_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay, here goes. This is my first experience with an Arcam Dac. It's only the second dac I've ever heard - the previous one was a Rega a few years ago. I don't do technical stuff as I prefer to let my ears decide. If the dealer said it was powered by Pixies I would happily accept it.

Objective?:

The aim here is to find a viable upgrade to my CDP and/or Blu-ray player. This is the first step of a very long ladder. Let's hope I don't come across any snakes.

Looks?:

Reassuringly Arcam. Very familiar looking piece of kit.

Connectivity?:

The dealer rummaged through a box and came out waving a coaxial to connect to the CD73. From there I used my trusty Merlin Chopin RCAs to the amp

Is It green?:

No. It's black.

Music used?

Tried a diverse array of CDs: Labi Siffre, 10cc, Electric Light Orchestra, Simon and Garfunkel and Led Zeppelin 2.

How does it sound?:

Pretty good as it happens. I've always said that Arcam and Leema work a treat together and the dac hasn't given me reason to suggest otherwise: It sounds very natural. When I spun 'Something inside so strong' by Labi Siffre, it sounded like he was sitting in the speaker. The imaging was that good.

'A whole lotta love' was very impactful, even at low volumes. This pretty much echoed the other CDs I played: Very immediate that made the goosebumps dance. I have some rottas of remastered CDs: The box set of Simon and Garfunkel can sound over compressed, not so much with the Dac added.

10cc's 'Good morning judge' was so layered and filled the room beautifully. 

It must be good. Mrs. P complained of a tapping sound on the kitchen sink. What she was hearing was virtual reality sound waves from the stereo in the other room.

When I had the Rega a few years ago it sound more like the Arcam CDP with an added Dac, but the synergy between same make CDP and Dac is very noticeable: Sounded right.

So my Pixie-powered Arcam irDacII has struck the right note. And it's compact dimensions means it keeps Mrs. P's groans to a minimum. The only slight negative aspect is to decide whether it's worth the £300-odd price tag.

Over the next few days I'm going to see if I can blag a better universal Blu-ray player and see how that stacks up both on price and sound.

Edited by plasticpenguin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

Okay, here goes. This is my first experience with an Arcam Dac. It's only the second dac I've ever heard - the previous one was a Rega a few years ago. I don't do technical stuff as I prefer to let my ears decide. If the dealer said it was powered by Pixies I would happily accept it.

Objective?:

The aim here is to find a viable upgrade to my CDP and/or Blu-ray player. This is the first step of a very long ladder. Let's hope I don't come across any snakes.

Looks?:

Reassuringly Arcam. Very familiar looking piece of kit.

Connectivity?:

The dealer rummaged through a box and came out waving a coaxial to connect to the CD73. From there I used my trusty Merlin Chopin RCAs to the amp

Is It green?:

No. It's black.

Music used?

Tried a diverse array of CDs: Labi Siffre, 10cc, Electric Light Orchestra, Simon and Garfunkel and Led Zeppelin 2.

How does it sound?:

Pretty good as it happens. I've always said that Arcam and Leema work a treat together and the dac hasn't given me reason to suggest otherwise: It sounds very natural. When I spun 'Something inside so strong' by Labi Siffre, it sounded like he was sitting in the speaker. The imaging was that good.

'A whole lotta love' was very impactful, even at low volumes. This pretty much echoed the other CDs I played: Very immediate that made the goosebumps dance. I have some rottas of remastered CDs: The box set of Simon and Garfunkel can sound over compressed, not so much with the Dac added.

10cc's 'Good morning judge' was so layered and filled the room beautifully. 

It must be good. Mrs. P complained of a tapping sound on the kitchen sink. What she was hearing was virtual reality sound waves from the stereo in the other room.

When I had the Rega a few years ago it sound more like the Arcam CDP with an added Dac, but the synergy between same make CDP and Dac is very noticeable: Sounded right.

So my Pixie-powered Arcam irDacII has struck the right note. And it's compact dimensions means it keeps Mrs. P's groans to a minimum. The only slight negative aspect is to decide whether it's worth the £300-odd price tag.

Over the next few days I'm going to see if I can blag a better universal Blu-ray player and see how that stacks up both on price and sound.

Now thats a 'Real Review' ! :) More like this it would be nice to see.

Sounds like the DAC had a promising start there, didnt you like the Rega DAC you had before then? I actually really liked the Rega DACs I listened to in the past, I had an Arcam rDAC once, that was pretty good as well.

38 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Now thats a 'Real Review' ! :) More like this it would be nice to see.

Sounds like the DAC had a promising start there, didnt you like the Rega DAC you had before then? I actually really liked the Rega DACs I listened to in the past, I had an Arcam rDAC once, that was pretty good as well.

IIRC, the Rega's bass, on certain tracks, sounded a bit bloated. Didn't sound as balanced, and considering I was using the Leema Pulse, which according to reviews, is slightly lean in the LFs. Think it was a synergy thing.

Good review Mr pp, I've been enjoying my irDac2 for a year or so now and above all, for me, it's tied everything together nicely, I've connected my CDP (my ancient Arcam Alpha) my Freeview PVR, Sonos ZP90 and my TV, and dare I say I even use the Bluetooth connectivity with my tablet when I'm being really lazy, doesn't sound half bad too. I wasn't initially looking for outright sound quality, although I've been pleasantly surprised on that front, but I wanted something to unify my various components, and it's achieved that with aplomb, I think any upgrade would cost an arm and a leg, and I need them for walking and using the TV remote control!!

Cheers DJ

It's all boxed up and ready to go back tomorrow. Tried it briefly with the Panny but wasn't as impressive as with the Arcam CD73. Therein lies a dilemma: Ideally would love to cut the box numbers and cull  the dedicated CD player altogether.

To do that I'll have to find the right universal Blu-ray player. If I decide to use a standalone CDP + a Dac, I'll have to find a good s/hand example. The laser on the CD73 is iffy.

Have a feeling there's still a lot of legwork to do.

Hi PP,

Suggest you look at used NAD C 565 BEE. Great cdp and the dac can be used for external equipment. Some excellent reviews available on line.

Cheerz from NZ

50 minutes ago, kiwipaul said:

Hi PP,

Suggest you look at used NAD C 565 BEE. Great cdp and the dac can be used for external equipment. Some excellent reviews available on line.

Cheerz from NZ

Thanks Paul. TBH, not a big Nad fan, although their streamers look good if the reviews are anything to go by.

Cheers.

I've been keeping my beadies on this CD player. It appeals because I've heard and liked it, and it's being sold by a reputable dealer with a returns. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-DiVA-CD-192-CD-Player-in-Silver-Preowned/192657796390?hash=item2cdb4cad26:g:9PQAAOSwqMpbloYi

Actually, looking at it it looks as though the drawer has been changed. It's a different shade from the rest. 

Really dunno.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

I've been keeping my beadies on this CD player. It appeals because I've heard and liked it, and it's being sold by a reputable dealer with a returns. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-DiVA-CD-192-CD-Player-in-Silver-Preowned/192657796390?hash=item2cdb4cad26:g:9PQAAOSwqMpbloYi

Actually, looking at it it looks as though the drawer has been changed. It's a different shade from the rest. 

Really dunno.

It looks good to me.  Often those finishes are hard to match, and the tray looks slightly convex, which may reflect the light differently.  

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

It looks good to me.  Often those finishes are hard to match, and the tray looks slightly convex, which may reflect the light differently.  

I've emailed the seller with various questions. It might be worth taking a punt  because it has a returns.

• Like 1

I like the Rotel brand of CD players. Seem to sound to my liking and have 3 at the moment: 1070; 951 and RCD-02. All are HDCD players and supposed to make non-HDCD come out more.

Although not using the DAC on the 1070, as using a separate unit. The 951 is on my shed workshop and the RCD-02 upstairs system. Also keeping the same make means setting up the universal remote will work on all players.