plasticpenguin

Cd player advice

Yeah, I like Rotel Cd player also. They sounded really good with my Arcams, not sure, however,  if they'll match the Leema that well. I could be wrong though.

I've arranged to demo, this weekend, a Cambridge CXUHD Blu-ray player and see how that stacks up against the Arcam Dac.

• Like 1

Little did I know that while I was waxing lyrical about my irDACii it was plotting to let me down, one of the optical inputs has stopped working, I can just about live without it, but I'd rather not, how annoying!

I suppose I should see if it's got any warranty left...

1 hour ago, DiamondJoe said:

Little did I know that while I was waxing lyrical about my irDACii it was plotting to let me down, one of the optical inputs has stopped working, I can just about live without it, but I'd rather not, how annoying!

I suppose I should see if it's got any warranty left...

What swine. Joys of hi-fi I suppose.

Well, had a listen to the Cambridge CXUHD at Richer Sounds. Took my amp and speakers along for a shop dem, which is probably not ideal. However....

It's very impressive in the main. Good tight bass very crisp top end. However, as I listened longer that top end became a slight problem: On certain tracks it just became ever so slightly too biting, almost analytical compared to the Arcam CDP and Dac.

Perhaps it was their demo room so this assessment is probably not true reflection on the Cambridge. Some respects I was quite impressed but not in others (purely as a audio playback device.

Maybe I'm just getting too long in the tooth for all this lugging and listening.

The Arcam Dac still edges it.. I dunno. :dunno:.

2 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Perhaps it was their demo room so this assessment is probably not true reflection on the Cambridge. Some respects I was quite impressed but not in others (purely as a audio playback device. The Arcam Dac still edges it.. I dunno. :dunno:.

Maybe it is a true reflection. I know there's a school of thought which considers 'universal' players, particularly those of Japanese 'battleship' construction, to make fine CD sources.

Fie and pish! I say. 

7 hours ago, notevenclose said:

Maybe it is a true reflection. I know there's a school of thought which considers 'universal' players, particularly those of Japanese 'battleship' construction, to make fine CD sources.

Fie and pish! I say. 

If I had the Blu-ray player in isolation, it would probably be the complete all-rounder, but having heard a dedicated CDP and a Dac... nah.

This'll put the cats amongst the pigeons: However much I was impressed with the Arcam Dac, I generally shy away from streaming; there's a shred of my body that says try one out and see if I can live with it. here's my problem with streaming, as the What hi-fiers know too well:

1) My hi-fi and desk top PC are in separate rooms, approx 20' apart.

2) I have humongous diffidence towards anything with computers. Think an ape has a better grasp of streaming than yours truly.

In layman's terms, how easy or difficult is it to stream? Any technical jargon just loses me, and might as well talk about Amazonian Indian tribes. 

Please be nice. :upgrade:

38 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

This'll put the cats amongst the pigeons: However much I was impressed with the Arcam Dac, I generally shy away from streaming; there's a shred of my body that says try one out and see if I can live with it. here's my problem with streaming, as the What hi-fiers know too well:

2) I have humongous diffidence towards anything with computers. Think an ape has a better grasp of streaming than yours truly.

In layman's terms, how easy or difficult is it to stream? Any technical jargon just loses me, and might as well talk about Amazonian Indian tribes. 

Windows or Mac?

1 hour ago, CTN said:

Windows or Mac?

Windows

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

I have a decent cd transport (Audio Synthesis Transcend) and dac but most of my listening is streaming via a Logitech Squeezebox Touch into my Dac. I stream cd quality from Tidal (Spotify or Quobuz are other options) and from files ripped from cd onto a networked hard drive. The squeezebox was discontinued a while back but are still available on the used market. Alternatively, many people now use a rasperry Pi working in a similar manner. 

If you want to control the squeezebox/pi via a phone app, you can install Logitech media server free of charge on your pc, which then 'talks' to your squeezebox/pi. Alternatives to LMS probably exist too.

I wouldn't be without a streaming service now. All the music you want for £10-£20 a month.

2 hours ago, Gizza said:

I have a decent cd transport (Audio Synthesis Transcend) and dac but most of my listening is streaming via a Logitech Squeezebox Touch into my Dac. I stream cd quality from Tidal (Spotify or Quobuz are other options) and from files ripped from cd onto a networked hard drive. The squeezebox was discontinued a while back but are still available on the used market. Alternatively, many people now use a rasperry Pi working in a similar manner. 

If you want to control the squeezebox/pi via a phone app, you can install Logitech media server free of charge on your pc, which then 'talks' to your squeezebox/pi. Alternatives to LMS probably exist too.

I wouldn't be without a streaming service now. All the music you want for £10-£20 a month.

So a Logitech Squeezebox is the simplest solution? 

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

So a Logitech Squeezebox is the simplest solution? 

I honestly don't know if it's the simplest. I've probably had mine about 6 years or so. They were discontinued not long adter i bought mine.I dare say simpler solutions exist now. It can be used very simply if you only  want to stream using a streaming service e.g. Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal etc, if you are willing to use its touchscreen or remote control to select and play the music.

If you want to be able to control it from a phone, you have to run something called LMS (Logitech Media Server) on a pc or laptop that is on the network. Likewise If you want to play files that you have ripped to a hard drive, again you will need LMS.

Sonos streamers are simpler (No LMS required) but as far as I know, only play up to cd quality (no higher res possible). Bluesound devices are also simpler and cope with higher res but are a bit pricier.

Hopefully, someone else will be along that is able to offer more up-to-date information. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Windows

Read this:

https://www.lifewire.com/where-to-get-airplay-for-windows-2000736

https://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/505apple/index.html

To make your Hifi airplay compatible you only need a airport express s/h from ebay and either use it with toslink or with the inbuilt dac and a y-cable 3,5 headphone to RCA . Shouldn't cost you more than 30£ to try it out and if you don't like it. Resell it.

You're limited to cd quality, but what is wrong with that, right?

Edited by CTN
  • Like 2

PP, I first dipped my toe into streaming with a Sonos Connect and never regretted it, but for a step up and still be able to use CD's, a Blue sound vault would be a good choice.

Mac

• Like 1