Sign in to follow this  
Sgt Pepper

Genesis-The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway Vinyl?

After a second failed attempt to purchase this Album used from Discogs in a condition as described by the seller, :grrr: I am considering purchasing the new reissue of this one. Has anyone been able to compare this to the original release?

Edit

Just ordered the new release from Juno.

Edited by Sgt Pepper

Anyone had a chance to compare this?

No I’ve only got the original vinyl and a Definitive Edition CD , never been a huge fan of Lamb so highly unlikely to buy the latest copy. You are always best trying the Steve Hoffman forum was SQ on various re-issues they tend to go in depth over there.

Super Wammer

Sgt Pepper posted on PFM Steve Hoffman talks out of his Arsenal .

Sorry the bloke hasn't a clue.

:cool:He is quite good at this remastering lark having worked for a few famous people.......

15 hours ago, Drainpipe said:

Sgt Pepper posted on PFM Steve Hoffman talks out of his Arsenal .

Sorry the bloke hasn't a clue.

Me or Steve Hoffman?

14 hours ago, George 47 said:

:cool:He is quite good at this remastering lark having worked for a few famous people.......

Anyone who openly criticizes another producers work and even goes on to mocking them goes way down in my estimation.

24 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Anyone who openly criticizes another producers work and even goes on to mocking them goes way down in my estimation.

Not seen that. Do you have a linky?

8 hours ago, George 47 said:

Not seen that. Do you have a linky?

I will try and find it mate. It was regarding Sgt Pepper and the Giles Martin's mix.

Around here, before and after:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-does-steve-hoffman-think-of-the-new-beatles-sgt-pepper-remix.674409/page-26

This is just one of his criticisms:

"Agreed. The new mix is fun to listen to. They went through a lot of time and trouble to do it and I'm sure it was a pain in the butt from the first note to the last to recreate it but it's out there and the album is on the lips of even children now, so that's a good thing. (Nice run on sentence.)

I've played it a few times and to me, it sounds nothing like the mono mix and I doubt that was the intent, no matter who says it is. I'm glad of that, actually. The mono mix is quite flawed and way too squashed, (1967 EMI style squashed) and the old stereo mix is the only one that actually breathes for me. That being said, the new version is way too compressed and limited. All the micro and macro dynamics have been squashed out of it, brutally, on purpose. All subtlety gone. Maybe that's what they had to do to get it to work, dunno. I don't like that.

I once had about two hours to **** around with the four track and I couldn't get anything to sound good, it was shocking how much signal processing has to be done to get it anywhere like the original mixes, so hats off to Geoff and to Giles for getting through it then and now.

But I play my Parlophone stereo LP the most. It's wired into my brain. The new mix is just a novelty to me. Fun, but that's about it. And it is way too compressed and limited. It can't, won't take the place of the original for me. No new mix could, even if I mixed it myself. That's just the way it is."

There is no compression that is noticeable anywhere on the CD or Vinyl. You just don't make statements like this and it is not his first time.

Edited by Sgt Pepper

Can't be bothered to go through the vinyl, becuase I'm in the middle of taking the room and the system to pieces at the moment.

However, I think I've got three different copies and none are that good. Gabriel is normally very fussy about quality, but you'd not believe it here.

The original German LP does not have hum and is better than the UK version according to one person who has both, can be bought for reasonable price but shipping from Germany: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/7055628?ev=rb

Super Wammer

I have an original, and yes, it hums.

I also have the Classic records 200gm reissue, which is a comparatively a tad soft but no hum so I normally go for that one these days.

The 2013 release is a remix, as is the latest one. I haven't got round to listening to the remixes yet, as I've been put off by the PG ones I've heard to date. However the Duke remix is not bad.

The last original mixes for sale were/are the Definitive Edition re-issues.

• Like 1

Well finally bit the bullet and after two failed attempts to buy used copies, I purchased Genesis- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 2018 vinyl reissue. I have read many mixed reports on this release, but IMO this sounds fantastic. Only wish I had purchased this in the first place.