Super tweeters..love..hate.. couldn't hear a difference

newlash09

1 minute ago, greybeard said:

Tried them once (Tannoy) couldn't hear any difference. So I took one apart and found very little in it, but a wire had come unsoldered, so re-soldered that, and still could not hear any difference :(

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Danielquinn said:

That is far from the average price.

What's the average price?

My Fostex T90A are around £350 a pair ......a lot less than the Tannoy or Townsend offerings and I can actually hear an output from them 😊

• Sad 1

Although my hearing is now down to about 12KHz I can still easily tell when my friend turns off his super tweeters. On the right system they make a subtle but very worthwhile improvement.  From my experience it's often small differences like a slight increase in the breathyness of a female voice. 

Edited by wHIZZY

For me, very speaker dependent.  With my Living Voice OBX-R, the effect was to make the treble tizzy and metallic even on low settings.

With the very same brand of ST 15 years later, the effect on my old JBL studio monitors is very beneficial, adding air and sparkle to the top end.

Very much suck it and see.

• Like 1

Yeah I would agree it is a suck it and see kind of thing :)

Just bought a pair of Taket bat pures on eBay, will report back once in the system (might take a while to mount etc).

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 08/09/2018 at 13:45, newlash09 said:

So any opinions on the subject please :)

No opinion, just a fact. I'm not a bat, and neither are you. So any difference is imagination. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/09/2018 at 19:52, wHIZZY said:

Although my hearing is now down to about 12KHz I can still easily tell when my friend turns off his super tweeters. On the right system they make a subtle but very worthwhile improvement.  From my experience it's often small differences like a slight increase in the breathyness of a female voice. 

Most of them operate from 5k upwards .. hence they may be doubling the output above that frequency, which will boost the treble you can hear ... but anything over 20k is bat territory and it is a scientific fact we cannot hear anything above that frequency.  (now where are those green cd pens - I am sure i left them here somewhere) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uzzy said:

Most of them operate from 5k upwards .. hence they may be doubling the output above that frequency, which will boost the treble you can hear ... but anything over 20k is bat territory and it is a scientific fact we cannot hear anything above that frequency.  (now where are those green cd pens - I am sure i left them here somewhere) 

In my teens and twenties I lived on the coast and could actually hear the bats squeek as they flew around the cliffs at night but alas not been able to do so for a long time now. 

7 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

In my teens and twenties I lived on the coast and could actually hear the bats squeek as they flew around the cliffs at night but alas not been able to do so for a long time now. 

Aye they do not do all their squeeks above 20k but those that do are certainly inaudable to adult human beings  (some young children may just get into the 20khz range ... the squeeks only last only 1 millisecond.  http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/listen_to_and_watch_bats.html

Where would you place super tweeters when using them with a pair of Castle Howards?

I considered these some time ago. I think they are generally overpriced compared to even new speakers with decent drivers. I dunno if I will buy them or not but likely I would upgrade my front room speakers first. Fact is, they could help, but I dunno exactly how since they would be erm adding to some kind of distortion of sound? 
Yep I realise that makes no sense but that's what I'm guessing. Better value for me to sell my current ELAC Debut floor standers and wait for something better (erm) to upgrade to probably 2/hand