The Linn DS/DSM Thread

On 10/09/2018 at 13:20, CnoEvil said:

Welcome aboard. 

I was beginning to think there was no interest in Linn DSsss.

From what I've read, the Katalyst upgrade is very significant, elevating the ADS/Kat above the KDS/1 and possibly KDS/2.

As I understand it, the upgrade can be done by a dealer....and you get a new 5 year Warranty. I have a plan to get a second hand ADS and upgrade it - which should give me a very significant upgrade over my Majik....would like to hear your thoughts on this as well.

Really looking forward to your review.

I can confirm that the Katalysed DS/DSM is indeed straying into KDS territory....

Auditioned one at Loud N Clear Glasgow and was mightily impressed by the new dac upgrade.

With bog standard 16 bit fare the performance has been improved,but with high res 24 bit the results are amazing....shut your eyes and you could be listening to a KDS!.

I have had a KDS at home on dem,but couldn't justify the cost at the time to my financial advisor(Wife....).

Upgrade process is in place,my ADS/1 goes back to Linn for a dry dock/refit,plus a new sexy black controller handset to boot.

Will give my verdict when the unit is installed here at home...cannae wait!😎

Edited by maddog_007
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bencat said:

Hi as you are all seasoned Linn streamer users please forgive my ignorance . I have recently got in to Digital Crossover and making speakers active using DSP which has been fun and produced some very pleasing results.

I have read about the Space Optimisation that is available with some Linn products and want to try and understand hwo you can get to use this as easily as possible .

So I do not need an amplifier or speakers but as all my music is streamed then what is the best entry point for the least spend (I would be certainly looking at second hand units) of Linn that I can get that allows you to access the Space optimisation software ?

Also I currently have a streaming system that lets me use cheap and easy players in my various systems as basicly streamer / controllers would I be able to do the same with Linn or does every access point have to be A Linn .

I know this is very basic stuff for most here but appreciate and advice and knowledge you can pass on .

I think others have covered it. Any Linn "DS" or "DSM" has the ability to use Space Optimisation (SO), of which there are now two flavours:

v1.0 comes in the Konfig software you need to set the DS up and is local to your system. It is very configurable - allowing custom filters and some tweaking of calculated modes.
v2.0 is a very new version that is done in the cloud and uses more complex and apparently better algorithms but isn't as flexible as v1.0 (it is really black-box, unlike v1.0).

You can use SO with any speaker. If it has been measured it will be better, but if not the speakers will be modelled as point sources.

As for control software for a Linn DS, you need either Linn's own free Kazoo on all platforms, or BubbleDS Next on Android (free but with ads and some reduction in features, around £5 I think to remove ads and get full features), or Lumin on iOS (which I personally hate but is free and others seem to like it).

One other thing you should know about Linn DS's, is they are not UPnP renderers but use OpenHome instead. Makes for a slightly different user experience as the DS has no inbuilt control point and the DS itself controls playback rather than the control point (if that makes sense!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maddog_007 said:

I can confirm that the Katalysed DS/DSM is indeed straying into KDS territory....

Auditioned one at Loud N Clear Glasgow and was mightily impressed by the new dac upgrade.

With bog standard 16 bit fare the performance has been improved,but with high res 24 bit the results are amazing....shut your eyes and you could be listening to a KDS!.

I have had a KDS at home on dem,but couldn't justify the cost at the time to my financial advisor(Wife....).

Upgrade process is in place,my ADS/1 goes back to Linn for a dry dock/refit,plus a new sexy black controller handset to boot.

Will give my verdict when the unit is installed here at home...cannae wait!😎

Thank you. That's great. I look forward to your thoughts.

I have a cunning plan....Baldrick would be proud.

• Like 1

I've never strayed onto the Linn forum but do have a Renew DS which I'm very pleased with.

it seemed the obvious way to get Klimax quality.

I've no inclination to upgrade and I use Kazoo on ios and Songcast from mac mini.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, do any of you have any experience of the SQ differences between ADS/1/2/3? I have heard ADS/0 vs /1 but I've been out of the loop on Linn gear in the recent past and am now looking at one of the above as a streamer and didn't realise there had been so many variants. I should also state that I have no interest in their speakers, amps or the features of a DSM.

Any help would be much appreciated!

7 minutes ago, BB Wan said:

Hi guys, do any of you have any experience of the SQ differences between ADS/1/2/3? I have heard ADS/0 vs /1 but I've been out of the loop on Linn gear in the recent past and am now looking at one of the above as a streamer and didn't realise there had been so many variants. I should also state that I have no interest in their speakers, amps or the features of a DSM.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I had a /1 upgraded to /2 (mainly to get the Exakt port added).  There was a small but noticeable step up in sound quality (better clock if I remember right), but it certainly wasn't huge.   I've not actually heard a /3, but as it's the Katalyst upgrade, I can confidently say that that is a huge step up.

4 hours ago, phino said:

I had a /1 upgraded to /2 (mainly to get the Exakt port added).  There was a small but noticeable step up in sound quality (better clock if I remember right), but it certainly wasn't huge.   I've not actually heard a /3, but as it's the Katalyst upgrade, I can confidently say that that is a huge step up.

Thanks Phino. That sort of leads me to suspect that a /2 is probably off the shortlist. I know they recently stopped making pure streamers (now only DSMs) but I presume they did make an ADS/3 before they axed the DS? Ive done a little more reading since earlier and it would seem the Katalyst upgrade is almost universally accepted as a big step up.

Edited by BB Wan
Spelling mistake

9 minutes ago, BB Wan said:

Thanks Phono. That sort of leads me to suspect that a /2 is probably off the shortlist. I know they recently stopped making pure streamers (now only DSMs) but I presume they did make an ADS/3 before they axed the DS? Ive done a little more reading since earlier and it would seem the Katalyst upgrade is almost universally accepted as a big step up.

Yes - given the choice I'd definitely go for a /3 if possible.  If it came down to having to pick between /1 and /2 I'd only go for a /2 if the prices were the same or the (transferable) guarantee is period is significantly longer, it's better but not hugely so.

ADS/3's were made I believe - and there will be quite a few upgraded from a /0/1/2.

1 hour ago, phino said:

Yes - given the choice I'd definitely go for a /3 if possible.  If it came down to having to pick between /1 and /2 I'd only go for a /2 if the prices were the same or the (transferable) guarantee is period is significantly longer, it's better but not hugely so.

ADS/3's were made I believe - and there will be quite a few upgraded from a /0/1/2.

So, if budget is limited, it comes down to whether it’s better to buy a ADS/3, or a much earlier one and shell out £1800 for the full Katalyst upgrade complete with warranty.  That’s if I’ve understood the options properly. 

Edited by Nopiano

Ok great thanks Phino, that's great info. I've just got to keep my eyes peeled now...and sneak it past her :whistle:

2 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

So, if budget is limited, it comes down to whether it’s better to buy a /3, or a much earlier one and shell out £1800 for the full Katalyst upgrade complete with warranty. 

Yeah it does, but buying a /1 is a good way to spread the cost a bit assuming it's not too much more to do it that way.

Edited by BB Wan

9 minutes ago, phino said:

You'd need to check with a dealer that the Katalyst upgrade is still available if you were planning on getting a cheap early model to upgrade.

It's on the September price list, but best to check. It may be withdrawn at any time, like the DS to DSM conversion!

Yeah I'll give them a bell and see what's what. Been caught out by that sort of thing before. Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2018 at 18:45, phino said:

I have recently had my ADS/1 upgraded with the Katalyst/Exact board ,it went back to Linn HQ here in Waterfoot.

best 2k i've spent on audio in years!,i've owned the ADS since new and this Katalyst  upgrade has transformed the ADS..sounds more like a KDS now!..that's not a typo!.

• Like 1