indus

What's the best SS pre amp you've heard?

3 minutes ago, indus said:

In terms of speakers perhaps you are right, and I suspect the same myself to some extent.

The problem is the speakers I like are the next ones up from the ones I have and they are huge, they are 1.85m tall!

I can just about accommodate them but in my non dedicated room I wonder whether they will look ridiculous

Perhaps then go for a different design of speaker. If you perhaps equate increasing speaker size with sound quality and to get a bigger sound, which I would too, but maybe look to smaller speakers that trade this for more accuracy and timing and dynamics. It gets harder and harder to achieve this as you go big, so you probably need to spend a lot more again to get an upgrade over what you have. I’d look to medium size single bass driver floorstanders. 

7 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I would spread your wings - ATC, Spendor, Proac and Art to name a few .. but it may not be the speakers but the DAC or Power amp (although I cannot see the latter being a problem but you never know until you try) .. the Preamp is right up there and is undoubtedly detailed and revealing and will provide a more than adequate signal so that would be the last thing on my list to consider at the mo 

I’m sorry uzzy but you’ve no idea where the pre amp is in the system, how it fits in. Nor does anyone else except Indus. 

Super Wammer
Just now, QuestForThe13thNote said:

I’m sorry uzzy but you’ve no idea where the pre amp is in the system, how it fits in. Nor does anyone else except Indus. 

I would say bollox but I am polite.  It is situated between the source and the power amp usually  .. and an accurate highly specified preamp that has had universal praise (and has been under my ears) unless it is grossly mismatched with the power amp (and that takes some doing) will not be the weak link .. so we will agree to differ on this one :doh:

The best SS pre I have ever heard - in fact the best pre-amp full stop - was the Robert Koda K10.

Don't think you'll find one in budget though. They are around £35k new.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I would say bollox but I am polite.  It is situated between the source and the power amp usually  .. and an accurate highly specified preamp that has had universal praise (and has been under my ears) unless it is grossly mismatched with the power amp (and that takes some doing) will not be the weak link .. so we will agree to differ on this one :doh:

Yes but you’ve no idea whether a change of flavour or preference is needed - I suspect it it from what has been said,  and we should not make presumptions about how people choose their hifi or choose it on how we would, but give advice based on best of all worlds.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

But sound quality has to be subjective. It’s like taste.....If you eat a lot of spicy food you can damage your sense of taste. When I was in Mexico last year I was listening to a lot of Michael Bolton. 

I can’t do that, it upsets my stomach. Listen to Michael Bolton I mean.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

Yes but you’ve no idea whether a change of flavour or preference is needed - I suspect it it from what has been said,  and we should not make presumptions about how people choose their hifi or choose it on how we would, but give advice based on best of all worlds.

the chap said "It's difficult to say. It is an itch I suppose...but if I was going to put my finger on anything I'd say detail retrieval, separation and low bass control perhaps" ,,,

now with respect that is no change of flavour it is getting to hear what he feels he is not hearing - ... we are trying to make suggestions on the data given and not assuming anything - we may make assumptions in order to suggest trial of different things .. they are just suggestions - but what is fact is that his preamp is noted for delivering what he wants in spades  provided the amp and speakers lets that signal through 

8 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

When people post on a forum asking for views of what they might do next then I don't imagine they will be offended when posters reply with their own personal views. If that is a little different from what they originally imagined then it is not the end of the world and easily ignored (or not).

Nothing in Uzzy's posts (which he went out of his way to state were 'personal views) merited a sanctimonious lecture.

Edited by savvypaul
  • Like 2

Super Dealer

Remote controls allow you to remain in your seat.

Keith

9 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

When people post on a forum asking for views of what they might do next then I don't imagine they will be offended when posters reply with their own personal views. If that is a little different from what they originally imagined then it is not the end of the world and easily ignored (or not).

Nothing in Uzzy's posts (which he went out of his way to state were 'personal views) merited a sanctimonious lecture.

It’s not sanctimonious but quite important to stress if the op hadn’t thought about it, and perhaps others, that’s why I made the point. 

If you’ve put up a post asking for views on pre amps and people come in with this is a smooth amp, or this is a good amp or words of same effect, when it’s never actually been heard in the system and same speakers and how it may be improved on (or equally not improved on) then it doesn’t help those that would rely on that as advice to take a way forward. Nobody knows how that pre works in the system. Give meaningful comparisons 

That’s why I carefully stated in one of my first posts that you should take input from people who can make meaningful comparisons on stuff they have tried. Or don’t go with this warm amp , smooth amp stuff when nobody knows the speakers. To start saying it’s a great Pre amp and I see no reason to change when nobody knows about how it sounds and how it might be improved when that’s what the op wants to try and do, can’t be good advice.  

Edited by QuestForThe13thNote

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Thanks for that, much appreciated 

Edited by uzzy
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

It’s not sanctimonious but quite important to stress if the op hadn’t thought about it, and perhaps others, that’s why I made the point. 

If you’ve put up a post asking for views on pre amps and people come in with this is a smooth amp, or this is a good amp or words of same effect, when it’s never actually been heard in the system and same speakers and how it may be improved on (or equally not improved on) then it doesn’t help those that would rely on that as advice to take a way forward. Nobody knows how that pre works in the system. Give meaningful comparisons 

That’s why I carefully stated in one of my first posts that you should take input from people who can make meaningful comparisons on stuff they have tried. Or don’t go with this warm amp , smooth amp stuff when nobody knows the speakers. To start saying it’s a great Pre amp and I see no reason to change when nobody knows about how it sounds and how it might be improved when that’s what the op wants to try and do, can’t be good advice.  

Man goes arguably very slightly outside of very strict interpretation of remit of OP?

LOCK THE FORUM DOWN!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s really important Paul because none of use are ‘connoisseurs’ on others systems we don’t know or own, unless we’ve sat with same components in ours and can understand the sound quality considerations required of the buyers

• Sad 1

Super Wammer
42 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

I do know how the preamp sounds - and I do know after 40 years of experience how things interact (5 of which was selling the stuff and putting up with Ricardo pre his starting Absolute Sounds bringing stuff into the shop for us to evaluate) . 

For the data given to us from the initial query, namely,  "It's difficult to say. It is an itch I suppose...but if I was going to put my finger on anything I'd say detail retrieval, separation and low bass control perhaps" it is extremely unlikely  to be the preamp in any case - and in this case having knowledge of the said preamp being used I would say it is the last thing to consider ....

If you don't want advice then do not ask the question - he asked I suggested I did not advise but as we all know we can choose to ignore suggestions/advice if we so wish.  Perhaps if we might be as lucky as some (I wonder who?) to have  our heads so far up our arses we cannot read or hear suggestions/advice  ....  Now for the last time the ARC preamp he has delivers all he is looking for in spades which indicates it is something else in the system that needs addressing IN MY OPINION  based on my knowledge of the preamp ...

If you have something constructive to offer regarding anything else in the chain based on use or experience of, then by all means give him suggestions or advice but please do not try to rubbish what others might suggest unless you have valid data to prove otherwise... 

Edited by uzzy
grammar correction
  • Upvote 2