indus

What's the best SS pre amp you've heard?

Just look at all your replies please.

'Sanctimonious'. 'Bear no malice'. 'So as you seem to selectively read I will repeat'. ' let me just say this once'.

FFS. This is a discussion about pre-amplifiers.

Super Wammer

@indusNow I’ve seen your later post about more expensive speakers, maybe you should at least consider the active route.  My experience is limited to ATC recently, but it does link back to my preamp suggestion, if you decide to move away from ARC.  However, I’m with uzzy on the desirability of what you already have.  

So, if hypothetically you switched to an ATC preamp, your next step - rather than different passive speakers and/or a new power amp - could be to active speakers, of which ATC are a great example, with various models, ranges and sizes.  For a defined outlay that could well get you the best sound.  Obviously an audition is essential, and careful thought about connectivity and room layout, as it does change things somewhat.  And you might find you spend more time enjoying music and less energy swapping boxes!

If I had your budget it’s where I’d be heading, and I think the sound you’re seeking might well be delivered that way. 

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 2

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, rabski said:

Just look at all your replies please.

'Sanctimonious'. 'Bear no malice'. 'So as you seem to selectively read I will repeat'. ' let me just say this once'.

FFS. This is a discussion about pre-amplifiers.

I am sorry I will take on your comments, I do not wish to cause umbrage. However, forgive me though I have to repeat  that the poster of the original thread expanded to say his problem was "It's difficult to say. It is an itch I suppose...but if I was going to put my finger on anything I'd say detail retrieval, separation and low bass control perhaps" so it then became a discussion about that particular problem and not just pre amps ..

Mea culpa for my use of the words "sanctimonious" and "let me say this just once" (it was supposed to remind people of Alo alo) 

Nor do I wish to cause ill feeling . I was just making what i though are valid points and I’d refer to my comments before uzzy, if you want to ignore them or not, obviously up to you. But I’m sure we will revisit sometime! Cheers.

Edited by QuestForThe13thNote

Never considered a SS pre amp. But I was considering buying used arc LS26 or ref 5 se on my next trip to the USA. But if buying new, I would consider the primaluna dialogue premium.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Based on what the OP was saying later in the thread about speakers, and the sort of sound he likes/wants....

Jamie (batteredhaggis) did have a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppies for sale in the classifieds. Not sure if they're still available, but they do very serious bass, they sound great (I loved them at Lurch's bake-off), and they're actually not that imposing in a room. 

Best SS I've heard....CH Precision L1 closely followed by Audionet Stern, then Soulution 5-series, all of which I found "better" than the AR Ref 10. Back in (almost) real-world prices, Audionet G2 / G3 are very good. I also liked the Nagra Jazz, which strictly speaking is valve, but the Nagra Classic might be worth seeking out.

Super Dealer

I am impressed that you have heard and compared all of those preamps in your system.

Keith

I built a pre based on a Nelson Pass design and it's put all of my others into storage, so Pass Labs might be worth a look.  Not sure what they cost though.

Edited by MrLem
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, indus said:

I've never heard ATC and would love to. I heard some Spendors many years ago and they were ok, I've never heard Proac. However this is what I suspect.....at anything near the price I can afford, ATC, Proac will bring something that the MA doesn't have but it will sacrifice a lot more. I'll have a smaller speaker with fewer smaller drivers. This might work if I listened to Jazz, female acoustic vocalists etc. However I listen to a lot of electronic dance music and these speakers just don't have the guts to do it justice. Some of this music I'll have heard as a young man in clubs etc and it needs to have a wallop behind it to evoke those pleasant memories of my younger days. I don't want it to sound as 'crass' as it did in the club but it needs to convey some of that energy. Something like the Proac K8 I'm sure would do that....but that costs £25k.

The MA PL500 (I have the MA PL300 at present) has four bass drivers, two mids and a very clever new tweeter. It can be hand ex demo for £9k (rrp £15k) and it is a beautifully finished speaker. Don't get me wrong, I am not equating size, number of drivers ect to quality, it's just that experience has taught me that smaller speakers don't seem to convey the energy (especially bass) that my ears like.

See response to uzzy above.

I'll put the kettle on. Give me an ETA.

EDIT: let me expand. My ProAc D30RS produce bass in spades (metric spades, that's a measurement, that is). They have guts, more guts than my ATC SCM40's... though lacking the gorgeous mids of the latter. For e-dance, forget the ATC's but do hear some ProAcs with your very own ears.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, indus said:

Thanks.

There is actually a XP20 for sale in the classifieds well within budget. It seems to get excellent reviews but I've read that if you like ARC you probably won't like Pass as its a very different sound. Obviously I have no idea what this means as I've never heard a Pass.

Where?

Super Wammer

That will be forum crosstalk then. Thanks.

Hi

Some of the responses on the thread made me go back and examine my set up to make sure I was getting the best out of it.

I checked my speakers and in particular I have never actually used a spirit level to align then. When I checked the rake alignment was way off with the front face projecting upwards on both. The tweeter level is already high and this rake misalignment I think meant they were firing well over my head.

In addition I got my toe in more accurately placed with a laser pointer.

I also changed the sequence of my electronics. I did have 

Source (dac) > preamp > room correction device > poweramp.

Somebody suggested I swap the preamp and RCD around. Something to do with a better SN ratio and impedance matching.

Anyway, aĺl these things have made a significant difference with better detail, clarity and soundstage ; the things I was trying to address. And it's free!

I'm sure I'll get the upgrade bug again but for now I'm satisfied.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, indus said:

Hi

Some of the responses on the thread made me go back and examine my set up to make sure I was getting the best out of it.

I checked my speakers and in particular I have never actually used a spirit level to align then. When I checked the rake alignment was way off with the front face projecting upwards on both. The tweeter level is already high and this rake misalignment I think meant they were firing well over my head.

In addition I got my toe in more accurately placed with a laser pointer.

I also changed the sequence of my electronics. I did have 

Source (dac) > preamp > room correction device > poweramp.

Somebody suggested I swap the preamp and RCD around. Something to do with a better SN ratio and impedance matching.

Anyway, aĺl these things have made a significant difference with better detail, clarity and soundstage ; the things I was trying to address. And it's free!

I'm sure I'll get the upgrade bug again but for now I'm satisfied.

Thanks for reading.

And thanks for feeding back. Excellent stuff.

• Like 1